• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Bradford City 4

Harvz   

I wish I could write this without bumping the thread... but we need to stop bumping this aberration of a thread!

chara   

The legends of the Cup indeed.....any opinions?...seems to me the top flight in football including Eurpean games has be come so sophisticated and technical that when a death or glory side faces the elite there seems to be a cuture shock...it wasn't just Chelsea...Citeh suffered..West Ham only just squeeked by..the Arse were pushed .....have said many times that all teams try to win......Sat was no exception....

Khobar   

The legends of the Cup indeed.....any opinions?...seems to me the top flight in football including Eurpean games has be come so sophisticated and technical that when a death or glory side faces the elite there seems to be a cuture shock...it wasn't just Chelsea...Citeh suffered..West Ham only just squeeked by..the Arse were pushed .....have said many times that all teams try to win......Sat was no exception....

Errrr, sorry Harvard.

I think you have a point Chara. Remember European ties in the 70's and 80's when the top continental sides couldn't cope with the old fashioned aerial barrage and big centre forward? We've become European.

It's a great point. The modern day top teams are so sanitised, so babied and princessed in the way their average game goes by, that when a team gets up in their faces, knocks them about a bit or a pitch starts bubbling, they start to get all shook up.

It's kind of like how a silver spoon fed person has their world come crashing down if they have to live in a smaller house and can't have as many luxury goods or whatever.

Notes before watching the Liverpool game.

Shame to lose to anyone – but I can’t think of a better team I’d want to lose to – that is if it were a better team I’d be even more unhappy – so I’ll take it as was.

And Bradford put in one hell of an effort.

Thinking of my post match comments around 70 mins, I was going to say how comfortable I now feel about Zouma as 6th choice defender. A cock up for their second and a miss of an easy chance later, and I have completely changed my mind.

Christensen as 7th choice I feel better about. But Drogba as 2nd choice striker, after a period when I was pleasantly enthused, I have also changed my mind over. Keeping Ba was a better option.

Full marks to Bradford, 51% possession, and they really pushed men forwards for most of the game.

But for 2 mins after the equaliser I felt really confident we would win. For the first time Bradford went to an 11 man defence. And indeed the next two times they got into our half were only because a dodgy ref decision gave them a free kick from a clearance short of the halfway line. One of those lead eventually to a goal.

Willian looked good against a Championship side, and I assumed that being “nearly quick enough” was more than quick enough at that level. But it wasn’t enough for a Div 1 team. Hazard was a poor JM decision as sub too. Against 11 men defence you want your winger to stay wide and lob the ball in as and when, not to try to beat 3 men before looking up and seeing 8 more.

Fabregas was the only sub that made sense. In a team that sometimes looks like a classic Arsenal side trying to pass the ball 42 times before tapping into the net, he is the only player looking for the short cut (just as he was at Arsenal).

NO pressing? What I don’t understand – 9 of the starters (bar Dave and Cahill) have not been first choice recently, so all should be trying to get themselves into the team. Yet we did not press as the first team presses. Saving the legs of the bench for the next games? Are these players not up to it even against a Div 1 side (who looked very impressively strong for the last 27 mins).

And if Billy Knott and Filipe Morais are a bit oversmug after the game – they did at least put in very good performances.

Blame – Drogba was either marking the man who scored or the space from which it was scored, so he was fully or jointly responsible for the first. The second I’d put down to Zouma. We did score 2 which should really have been quite enough, so the real blame goes down to Bradford – for playing out of their skins.

And on the whole squad discussion. We have a very top heavy bottom light squad - and this was clear from the start of the seasons. Reasons for: JM likes it, and the club have been stupid about small squad all along. I think both have got it wrong - but that is a concern for the whole season not this game.

Of the players who started only Azpi can normally be sure of a start - and that only when fit. We played the bench and some players who aren't really full squad members, like Christensen and Salah. It was a weak team.

Moreover the whole training (the whole Mourinho impact) is based on the first team press, the "automatic". None of that was present. It was the team that trains against JM's side, not even Steve Hampshire's team. More like the lot that turn up 7 days a week against the Harlem Globetrotters.

So the loss is not great deal, lets move on.

Great game for the neutral though.