• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CarefreeMuratcan

League Cup Final allocation is a healthy 31,689.

DaveF   

Pretty much as we expected you can choose price but not block that you want to sit in. Ringing BO was no different to online, my expectation that if I'm spending £72 x 3 on tickets it would be nice to know where they are fell on deaf ears. Guys response was you shoud get good seats they will probaby send the ones in the lower tier out first and even if you get the upper ones they will be near the front.

I've only ever sat in Upper Tier and it can feel very disconnected from the game up there. Has anyone sat in both? What would you say?

Doesn't help atmosphere wise that Club Wembley buffer zone seperates upper and lower.

Sat upper, lower, back and front - the best was oddly front middle upper with the noisiest bunch of bastards around me, and the worst time was paying top dollar for seats at the back up top with people around me who'd have complained if you munched a prawn sandwich noisily (that being said, I took an old mate who's an embittered L**ds supporter in the hope of re-educating him, and we made a right old row. Not too long after, he gave up supporting L**ds and settled down in Nigeria with a beautiful lady 40 years his junior, but no idea if the two facts are related. Education is a wondrous thing.)

More seriously, Wembley is simply too big. The back of the upper is miles from the game, and the lower behind the goal, while better, still feels fairly distant. If they reintroduced terraces, they'd possibly restore some of the vibe, but then again they'd never fill the stadium. Never mind, a few beverages in the Green Man beforehand, and enjoy the spectacle wherever you sit is my recommendation. Upper and lower both have their advantages. But stay well clear of that bloody mariachi band when England play. They give me earache.

I was lucky enough to be at the 2000 FA Cup Final thanks to my Dad. Problem was I didn't even like football then, but glad my Dad dragged me there as I can say I've been to the Old Wembley and I do remember it a little (the blimp took my attention moreso though).

Funnily enough I started watching football the very next season. Does that make me a glory hunter of sorts? :P

I remember getting into arguments on the playground with United supporting friends. I had pretty good logic as a child. I reasoned that our achievment was greater than their's since the FA Cup involves more teams and you have to be unbeaten to win it haha.

The atmosphere of that final against Villa was terrible.

I tend to find the upper tier better for atmosphere. I've sat in the lower tier three times with Chelsea - lost them all and atmosphere was not great (Man Citeh semi was awful).

Sat upper, lower, back and front - the best was oddly front middle upper with the noisiest bunch of bastards around me, and the worst time was paying top dollar for seats at the back up top with people around me who'd have complained if you munched a prawn sandwich noisily (that being said, I took an old mate who's an embittered L**ds supporter in the hope of re-educating him, and we made a right old row. Not too long after, he gave up supporting L**ds and settled down in Nigeria with a beautiful lady 40 years his junior, but no idea if the two facts are related. Education is a wondrous thing.)

More seriously, Wembley is simply too big. The back of the upper is miles from the game, and the lower behind the goal, while better, still feels fairly distant. If they reintroduced terraces, they'd possibly restore some of the vibe, but then again they'd never fill the stadium. Never mind, a few beverages in the Green Man beforehand, and enjoy the spectacle wherever you sit is my recommendation. Upper and lower both have their advantages. But stay well clear of that bloody mariachi band when England play. They give me earache.

Liked the Nigerian tail tale.

Agree about Wembley.

When people read about European grounds that take 90 000 fans with tickets starting at 10 euro, they have to remember that it will feel like Wembley.

Wembley might have been better if it were tiered to allow the higher fans at least to get closer, but then there is a danger of being just too high to be involved.

The packed 50 000 box stadium is a precious thing and worth the premium in ticket prices.

Fully agree, Droy. Were Stamford Bridge to "go Barcelona", I might consider dropping the ST and watching it on the box.

Droy makes a great point.

I've actually bemoaned why Galatasaray only expanded their stadium to 52,652 and Besiktas are only doing it to 41,903, when they could do much better than that, especially for big European and derby games. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it related to the need to preserve the traditional strong Turkish atmosphere. (ironically there are GS fans that are upset at the atmosphere being broken in the new stadium, even though the old one had a running track!!!). The new stadiums for Italian teams have the same concept, and to be fair, these new Turkish and Italian stadiums aren't the same generic mess that new English stadiums appear to be.

I hate the generic designs of new modern stadiums in England. That's why leaving Stamford Bridge would be depressing beyond the sentimental reasons. Take Arsenal for example. I never went to Highbury, but admittedly it always seemed cosy while tucked away in the narrow streets of London, a true traditional British stadium. I've only been to the Emirates to see an international (Brazil-Italy, only international I've been to, it was boring) so that doesn't count, but what I've seen of it on TV and in theory when comparing it with Wembley, just seems terrible. The countless "smaller teams" like Swansea, Cardiff etc. have the most boring new stadium designs. Where's the individuality.

This is where Old Trafford gets my respect. They were lucky with space and what not, but to have a 75,000 stadium that still has potential for expansion, while still being a natural evolution of the way it used to look 20-30 years ago, is great. Ideally every English team could have done that.

**** Liverpool though. This praising of rivals has to end somewhere!

You do get a terrific view from anywhere at Wembley, tbf. The atmosphere is usually crap. Dunno if it's just me, but sound doesn't seem to carry at all, so it's a real struggle to get spurred on by either your own fans or the opposition's.

Waiting until Tuesday so I can sit with mates who have fewer loyalty points than me. I'm a tad skint, so am hoping the two lower price bands are still going. What do you lot reckon? The expensive ones tend to go first in my experience.