• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Tottenham 0 (Capital Cup Final 2015)

Please use this thread to discuss our Capital One Cup Final match against Tottenham at Wembley Stadium, before, during, and after the match.

Moderators and our legal people will keep an eye on things. Keep it intelligent.

Please note this un-moderated part of the forum is a privilege and its abuse may possibly result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 16:00 Sunday, 1st March 2015.

Overriding feeling is "what controversy will the FA make up this time".

This should be a joyous occasion. I feel no joy at all.

My prediction is a loss.

Courtois; Ivanovic, Zouma, Terry, Luis; Ramires, Fabregas; Willian, Oscar, Hazard; Costa

We simply have to play a 4-3-3 if Mikel is out of this game. I actually believe that a 4-3-3 is better suited to deal with the Spurs attack. They really cut through us last time, and even in the game we won, they managed to play themselves through our midfield with ease.

Courtois - Backline - Fabregas, Ramires, Willian - Hazard, Costa, Oscar.

If we play with Fabregas and Ramires in the pivot, I think we will get slaughtered. That is a match made in heaven for their midfield.

In my 15 seasons of support this is the most I've ever dreaded a final, I've literally looked super forward and been excited for every final up until Matic's red card yesterday. Yes, dreading it even more than the 2002 FA Cup final which as a kid I assumed we'd lose because of how poor our record was against whoever we played then...and yet I was still more excited for it than I am now.

Before yesterday I was really pumped for this game for the whole month, but after yesterday and with earlier events in the week brewing as well, I just feel like there's something not right in the air. It feels like the narrative is ready to make us look like idiots. Matic has arguably been our most important player and with the way Tottenham press we needed him badly to counter than kind of closing down with his own equivalent.

Mikel's great, but it's just not going to be the same game for us without Matic (oh damn I forgot Mikel was injured, just reminded in post above). I even think we should appeal the Matic red, there's a bigger case for us than Costa's tbh. Even Gary Neville is backing us again with that...

Agree with the post above, we should play different to our usual tactics, otherwise Tottenham will have far, far, far too much space, and they had enough space as you say with our normal formation with Matic playing.

Going into a game against Spurs thinking we'll lose...there's a first for everything it seems :(

In my 15 seasons of support this is the most I've ever dreaded a final, I've literally looked super forward and been excited for every final up until Matic's red card yesterday. Yes, dreading it even more than the 2002 FA Cup final which as a kid I assumed we'd lose because of how poor our record was against whoever we played then...and yet I was still more excited for it than I am now.

Before yesterday I was really pumped for this game for the whole month, but after yesterday and with earlier events in the week brewing as well, I just feel like there's something not right in the air. It feels like the narrative is ready to make us look like idiots. Matic has arguably been our most important player and with the way Tottenham press we needed him badly to counter than kind of closing down with his own equivalent.

Mikel's great, but it's just not going to be the same game for us without Matic (oh damn I forgot Mikel was injured, just reminded in post above). I even think we should appeal the Matic red, there's a bigger case for us than Costa's tbh. Even Gary Neville is backing us again with that...

Agree with the post above, we should play different to our usual tactics, otherwise Tottenham will have far, far, far too much space, and they had enough space as you say with our normal formation with Matic playing.

Going into a game against Spurs thinking we'll lose...there's a first for everything it seems :(

Don't be so pessimistic. One of Matic's worst game came against Spurs, so his exclusion isn't that worrying for me. I think we will miss him a lot more against Southampton. What we need against Spurs is fast legs to counter their slicing runs from midfield. I am worried about Fabregas defensive duties in this one. Ramires, Willian, Oscar will have to contribute big time defensively.

If I say Matic is a cyborg (one of a thousand) I hope a few people will know what I mean.

The problem here is not that we have lost one or two players, but that we have a tiny squad and will always be vulnerable to injuries or suspensions.

I seem to recall that back in 2006/7 there were worries that JM's insistence of overplaying some key players might end up with us losing them to injuries. Certainly there were concerns about Essien and Robben, and Duff lost his pace at Chelsea for ever.

Playing big games when injured is a dangerous thing to do.

Personally - if we really want to worry about the DM role, give it to Azpi. He'd be great.

Zouma was dropped for the first LC semi, picked for the second. He is in and out so regularly at the moment that either JM can't make up his mind between him and Cahill or one is slightly injured and can't play 2 games a week. The second seems a lot more likely.

Worried we might lose is probably a better way of expressing my concerns.

Don't be so pessimistic. One of Matic's worst game came against Spurs, so his exclusion isn't that worrying for me. I think we will miss him a lot more against Southampton. What we need against Spurs is fast legs to counter their slicing runs from midfield. I am worried about Fabregas defensive duties in this one. Ramires, Willian, Oscar will have to contribute big time defensively.

Hopefully the cup final atmosphere motivates everyone to play above and beyond some of their league form...Oscar's been a passenger for too long...I think Willian will have a great game though.

Would Willian and Ramires work in the Matic/Mikel role?

Personally - if we really want to worry about the DM role, give it to Azpi. He'd be great.

Looks like I'm not the only one with wild ideas for the DM role!

Hopefully the cup final atmosphere motivates everyone to play above and beyond some of their league form...Oscar's been a passenger for too long...I think Willian will have a great game though.

Would Willian and Ramires work in the Matic/Mikel role?

That is too wild to try our for a cup final. Imo the safest option is a midfield three of Fab, Ramires and Willian. Spurs love to play it through the middle, so we need to be compact there. Their entire game revolves around slicing runs from midfield, and they have really good role players who do that well.

Now if you cut out that part of their game, you will see a very one dimensional team imo. They are one of the teams who play the fewest long balls and highest percentage of short passes. So if we are able to cut out the passing channels to Eriksen and Kane, I think we will win. They do not have a Drogba upfront who will hold up the ball or a Sterling who can run deep, so they HAVE to play like they play. This is why I am desperate for Mikel to play. We really need someone who can shield those passes from reaching Kane.

BlueFizz   

I think we'll play a Rammy /fabregas axis if we stick at 4-2-3-1

Just wonder if we might go 4-3-3

I also wonder if we might stick Azpi in the pivot.

We should also appeal Matic's red - seems to me FA are very influenced by media opinion and that's been on our side.

Final point friends - it's Spurs! Not Madrid or Bayern.

We'll stuff them!

BlueFizz   

I think we'll play a Rammy /fabregas axis if we stick at 4-2-3-1

Just wonder if we might go 4-3-3

I also wonder if we might stick Azpi in the pivot.

We should also appeal Matic's red - seems to me FA are very influenced by media opinion and that's been on our side.

Final point friends - it's Spurs! Not Madrid or Bayern.

We'll stuff them!