• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Paris Saint-Germain 2 (AET)

I fear this is going to be tough, don't really understand why people feel that PSG are particularly sub-standard. They have players who can hurt us.

They do, but we have the advantage of Stamford Bridge in addition to also having players that can hurt them.

As Jose rightly said after the first leg, and I'm paraphrasing, "we wanted to play better but we couldn't because they didn't let us."

They're a very good side,I'll be happy squeaking through on away goals.

Kezza   

They're a good side but we are not too bad a side either. Understandably they spend loads to make up that scary squad but hell it's not like we didn't spend our dime. We have to play like we believe in ourselves and while giving the opposition respect is good we cannot always start games with caution and pessimism.

Somehow I get the feeling that some fans unwittingly prefer the Arsenal approach: don't respect the club partly because they're from France, go on a gung-ho attacking approach to entertain fans and proceed to lose 1-3. This PSG side is good enough to win this year's CL notwithstanding their league form. Underrate them at your peril. I expect CFC to feed off the crowd and look for an early goal but if it doesn't come, it'll be squeaky bum the rest of the way to protect the clean sheet.

We can't beat them playing the way we've played over the last few games. We need to significantly improve if we want to win this one. I think its more likely that we play poorly and advance via a 0-0 than it is that we play well and beat them. I'm actually expecting a score draw with PSG advancing. I just don't think this side has it in the tank to push on to UCL winning heights THIS SEASON.

Enough with being nice and modest and lets use the logic report, PSG is the one who's worried for the following reasons:

1-The name Chelsea scares any football team,

2- They are coming to play fearing a draw 0/0

3- The game is in our stadium and our fans will control the sound effects

4- They performed worst in their local league compared to our results (check out local league table for both)

5- We had better results during last ECL

We have a plenty of advantages in our pocket and all we have to do is play the game to win, PSG cracks easily when playing a fast pace game, how about if they are coming to play under pressure for the reasons mentioned above?

Our guys need to play a game with high pass/shot precision , don't try to make it clean cut shots when attacking, shoot at any chance possible and keep the pressure on , and pack defense at all the time.

2/0 for Chelsea at least

bluereed   

Enough with being nice and modest and lets use the logic report, PSG is the one who's worried for the following reasons:

1-The name Chelsea scares any football team,

2- They are coming to play fearing a draw 0/0

3- The game is in our stadium and our fans will control the sound effects

4- They performed worst in their local league compared to our results (check out local league table for both)

5- We had better results during last ECL

We have a plenty of advantages in our pocket and all we have to do is play the game to win, PSG cracks easily when playing a fast pace game, how about if they are coming to play under pressure for the reasons mentioned above?

Our guys need to play a game with high pass/shot precision , don't try to make it clean cut shots when attacking, shoot at any chance possible and keep the pressure on , and pack defense at all the time.

2/0 for Chelsea at least

That's all well and good but the reality is that they have a formidable attack which nearly slaughtered us in the first leg. They will come here knowing that they can cause us problems with that attack. Unless we play far better than we have, then we will be out of the CL.

That's all well and good but the reality is that they have a formidable attack which nearly slaughtered us in the first leg. They will come here knowing that they can cause us problems with that attack. Unless we play far better than we have, then we will be out of the CL.

At Stamford Bridge it's a whole different game though. They would prefer to stay conservative playing away from home, but since they need a goal from the start they'll be forced to play (if not in the first, then the 2nd half) and that way it'll make it easier for us to counter. Or the alternative is that they play conservatively and try to hit us on the break, in which case that'll also suit us nicely since we can retain as much of the possession as possible.

We've been playing against teams that didn't set out to win against us. If Villa, Burnley and West Ham started against us with the need for a goal the way PSG do, then we would have decimated them. You can't compare our form against them with how it would be against a like for like opposition who will allow us more space by virtue of their play style and need for a goal.

Here's the way I see PSG's great attacking in the first leg...they had home advantage and we were comfortable with the 1-1 scoreline so we relaxed and got away with it sure, but that's the truth. Now it will be the other way round we'll have the home advantage and they don't have a scoreline to be comfortable on. You cannot use the first leg as context for this game taking into consideration these factors.

The League Cup Semi Finals are a great reference point. We escaped Anfield with a 1-1 draw, and had the better of the 2nd leg and indeed once away goals came into play after FT it opened up even more for us. Same concept against PSG except the game will open up for us from the start. The stress and dilemma is all on PSG's shoulders. Go out and attack us like the first leg and risk conceding, or keep it conservative and try and hit us on the break which will waste them time and also risk them conceding. The onus is on them, and so we just need to react to whatever they do which gives all the advantage to Jose's tactics and us.

Of course this all goes out the window if we lose our away goals advantage, but then it's not very often that teams come to Stamford Bridge and score 1, never mind 2.

At Stamford Bridge it's a whole different game though.

Is it? Last season people were saying exactly the same thing when Atletico came to town. We actually scored first in that game, only to ship 3 and go out.