• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Southampton 1

Khobar   

I don't get this. What solid base does Mikel offer?

I'd say that anything would improve that area following the Southampton game. Matic had a stinker and we were overrun.

Occupying a space infront of a player with your foot when the rest of your body is behind him is called a trip.

Colliding with his legs in a way that forces him to fall over is called a foul.

Committing the foul in the box before you touch the ball yourself is called a penalty

Colliding after winning the ball is different. What Matic got wrong was missing the ball he was trying to reach and taking out the man first.

Matic missed the ball?

Ham   

Looks like he gets the ball to me. Maybe I'm not wearing my "bash Matic glasses".

He got the ball from every angle. Stay strong Dave. You aren't going mad......

Mikel is the reason we got a 0-0 at Atletico last year and who knows how last week would have gone if he was fit.

He was a wealth of PL and CL experience which will help us strengthen the midfield, he's sorely needed during this final run in.

xCELERYx   

He holds his position as the anchor, wins the ball back and then lays it off to whoever else to start the play off.

For all the good Matic does, he gets caught out of position either 1) trying to close players down too far up the pitch, 2) drives forward too often which results in Cesc having to stay back and effective play the ball winning midfielder- then wonder why we get exposed at times the other way.

I love Matic and think he's an excellent midfielder, just not a holding one. I remember David Luiz copping stick for charging up the pitch to close players down to nick the ball in front, Matic does exactly the same and no one says boo. Mikel would provide a solid foundation which would allow Matic that freedom to push forward and close players down higher up the pitch without leaving us short in the back half.

He holds his position as the anchor, wins the ball back and then lays it off to whoever else to start the play off.

For all the good Matic does, he gets caught out of position either 1) trying to close players down too far up the pitch, 2) drives forward too often which results in Cesc having to stay back and effective play the ball winning midfielder- then wonder why we get exposed at times the other way.

I love Matic and think he's an excellent midfielder, just not a holding one. I remember David Luiz copping stick for charging up the pitch to close players down to nick the ball in front, Matic does exactly the same and no one says boo. Mikel would provide a solid foundation which would allow Matic that freedom to push forward and close players down higher up the pitch without leaving us short in the back half.

Mikel does hold his position. Yes I'll give you that. But the whole "winning the ball back" I've rarely seen to be frank.

But holding your position and play 5m passes isn't what will create goalscoring chances. It's not what this system is built upon. We need a midfield that can;

1) move around with some sort of speed

2) press the opposition

3) make a successful tackle

4) defend in general

Mikel fails spectacularly on all four points in my opinion. What he does, and does well, is to protect the ball when he has it, provide an "out" pass for his teammates and to recycle possession. Re-cycling possession is the least of our worries.

Mikel is the reason we got a 0-0 at Atletico last year and who knows how last week would have gone if he was fit.

He was a wealth of PL and CL experience which will help us strengthen the midfield, he's sorely needed during this final run in.

I find that assessment to be a tad hysteric. Mikel was the reason?

I find that assessment to be a tad hysteric. Mikel was the reason?

Honestly yes. He defended like a beast in that game, he was the centre of attention in our final third. I'll give the match or at least the highlights a rewatch to be sure, but I distinctly remember him being my MOTM.