• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Arsenal 0 Chelsea 0

cam4blue   
MOTM John Terry. Just phenomenal.

Just behind him, Azpilicueta. Such a great defender. The bad games he has had for us can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Attackers running into him must hate him, and that is the only explanation for him failing to get into the PFA team of the year. There is no better LB around anywhere.

Cahill and Ivanovic were also very solid, so credit to them too. Great to see the whole back four pulling together at the back end of the season. Cahill in particular was proverbially "playing for his future" IMO, and his form in the run-in has been outstanding.

It's a shame we didn't have a proper striker, but you can't criticise the guys who played there too much. Oscar isn't a striker but his movement was actually pretty good and he could have got a penalty on another day (although I would have given neither; the one on Cesc was the most likely IMO, and even that is a relatively harsh one...the shout for a Cahill handball is nonsense however, not even a shout). He and Drogba didn't excel but they were no worse than what we had there last season. In fact, this performance reminded me exactly how tough it was for us without a striker worthy of the name. I like Remy but it is unacceptable to have a second choice striker who can't stay fit, no matter how well they do when they manage to get on the pitch. Off in the summer and rightly so.

cam4blue   

^ You wouldn't have given Ospina annihilating Oscar as a penalty? Is that you, Mr Oliver? ;-)

Things like that are almost never given as pens. Get a shot in, it goes wide, you get taken out; almost never a penalty. Happens relatively frequently too.

You can debate whether it's right or wrong, but it is the way it is.

The Fabregas "dive" one though, that's a pen 7/8 times out of 10.

cii99mn1   

Things like that are almost never given as pens. Get a shot in, it goes wide, you get taken out; almost never a penalty. Happens relatively frequently too.

You can debate whether it's right or wrong, but it is the way it is.

Really? Can't remember something like that happening to us before. The one instance I seem to remember is the Pool ghost goal where Cech took out Garcia. People said back then it should have been a pen if the goal didn't stand.

cam4blue   

Really? Can't remember something like that happening to us before. The one instance I seem to remember is the Pool ghost goal where Cech took out Garcia. People said back then it should have been a pen if the goal didn't stand.

Actually popped into my head too.

Wasn't a pen, probably wouldn't have been (we'll never know for sure though...the ref said he would have given a pen afterwards, but that was covering for his own mistake in awarding the goal and he didn't signal for advantage at the time, which you have to do), and IMO shouldn't have been even if the ball doesn't go in (or rather the goal isn't given).

There are lots of fouls that happen just after a shot that would be a pen if they happened just before. Keepers clattering into players. Defenders taking out a player. Almost never given. I really don't know why they are never given, but they aren't.

I remember it well. 2-0 up and Luca fiddled with the defence...but here's the good news: Steve Guppy has retired :D

Equally good news that Duberry has as well;)

That own goal... Argh... 16 years on and I'm still not happy!

I remember it like yesterday. I thought we might just scrape home but when Guppy cut in onto his right foot...