• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Arsenal 0 Chelsea 0

Neither of them were even close to be in a position we find ourselves in right now.

We had a lot to bitch about when we had those three. Now? Not so much.

Agreed of course.

Bub but but we're Ten points clear. What part of that do you find hard to understand or indeed revel in?

No part of that obviously. Again, all I started out saying was that continuing to hand the initiative to our opponents and settling for hanging on to a slender league can and will cost you sometimes. It's cost us points already this season as we all know. We drew in Manchester when we could surely have won. It cost us against PSG and so on. Yes, of course I'm delighted with the position we're in, but sitting back contentedly after a result like last Saturday's, achieved by adopting the approach we did, while great once the game was over and we'd won, may rebound on us at other times.

Is that really such a controversial view?

Khobar   

Agreed of course.

No part of that obviously. Again, all I started out saying was that continuing to hand the initiative to our opponents and settling for hanging on to a slender league can and will cost you sometimes. It's cost us points already this season as we all know. We drew in Manchester when we could surely have won. It cost us against PSG and so on. Yes, of course I'm delighted with the position we're in, but sitting back contentedly after a result like last Saturday's, achieved by adopting the approach we did, while great once the game was over and we'd won, may rebound on us at other times.

Nope, it's not controversial - it just ignores the point that pressing your advantage can equally lead to being caught on the break. Bottom line is that it has won us the league this season. It's too much conjecture to rationally debate.

No, but evidence suggests that it's incorrect. The fact that we're 10 points clear (and Mourinho's track record) is evidence that the strategy works more often than not.

I would like us to play more expansive, attacking football. I would like us to blood more youngsters. I would not like us to do that at the expense of winning trophies.

We have been told that there is a long term plan to do both of the above. It may never happen but I think it could. I also think that the manager deserves plenty of time to try and make it happen (at the same time as winning trophies).

Even if it never happens, would you and those with similar views rather change manager and go back to where we've been in the last few seasons? I don't understand your complaints and I think they exemplify a lot of what is wrong with many modern football fans.

If you and those others can honestly say that you'd rather us be a team that plays fancy football at the expense of winning then that's a personal preference I can accept. Otherwise, to expect both at such an early stage of this team's development is having your cake and eating it.

Nope, it's not controversial - it just ignores the point that pressing your advantage can equally lead to being caught on the break. Bottom line is that it has won us the league this season. It's too much conjecture to rationally debate.

No, but evidence suggests that it's incorrect. The fact that we're 10 points clear (and Mourinho's track record) is evidence that the strategy works more often than not.

I would like us to play more expansive, attacking football. I would like us to blood more youngsters. I would not like us to do that at the expense of winning trophies.

What I don't get about these two posts is that we did (or will soon) win the CL trophy with devastating attacking play and tearing quite a few teams apart.

That is how the first half of the season went with a few exceptions like at City.

It was a high risk strategy - we went for 3 points a game and mostly got them. We are on course for 90 points which is a pretty big total.

Having got the points we can afford a lower risk strategy now. But to criticise the club for being boring this season is just plain wrong.

And similarly - to defend our football on the basis that attacking too much is dangerous gets it wrong as well - we have attacked for most of the season. It is a completely unecessary defence.

Khobar   

What I don't get about these two posts is that we did (or will soon) win the CL trophy with devastating attacking play and tearing quite a few teams apart.

That is how the first half of the season went with a few exceptions like at City.

It was a high risk strategy - we went for 3 points a game and mostly got them. We are on course for 90 points which is a pretty big total.

Having got the points we can afford a lower risk strategy now. But to criticise the club for being boring this season is just plain wrong.

And similarly - to defend our football on the basis that attacking too much is dangerous gets it wrong as well - we have attacked for most of the season. It is a completely unecessary defence.

Well, it's not a defence at all. It acknowledges that Pete is entitled to his opinion but states that my own opinion is that he's having an argument based purely on conjecture. Therefore, the opposite side of his argument is as equally valid as his current take.

What you are doing with my quote is pretty much ignoring and misrepresenting everything else I have said on the matter as I have not suggested anywhere that I believe we haven't been a particularly attacking side.

I think any idea of gung ho attacking was abandoned after Sunderland last season and replaced with a sensible footballing style, preventing a return of Brendan Rodgers to the Chelsea hot seat.

For once we agree.

For anyone to say they can't see progress this season is as remarkable as someone trying to convince me earth is actually flat.

Mind-blowing stuff.

Well, it's not a defence at all. It acknowledges that Pete is entitled to his opinion but states that my own opinion is that he's having an argument based purely on conjecture. Therefore, the opposite side of his argument is as equally valid as his current take.

What you are doing with my quote is pretty much ignoring and misrepresenting everything else I have said on the matter as I have not suggested anywhere that I believe we haven't been a particularly attacking side.

I think any idea of gung ho attacking was abandoned after Sunderland last season and replaced with a sensible footballing style, preventing a return of Brendan Rodgers to the Chelsea hot seat.

That is a fair point - I wasn't really picking at either poster, just pointing out that this ferocious attack by 2 or 3 posters has ended up with us defending their straw men.

The defence of the season is plain - we have been an attacking team, and a risk taking attacking team at that - the accusation is simply false.

The defence of the odd game is different - we have accumulated enough points to put the onus on our opponents. And the reason Man U had 70% possession against us was nothing to do with how we played - but all to do with how difficult Man U found it to get it into our box. They seriously struggled with all that possession and it is rather incredible just how easily LVG got away with the post match interviews. I hope for Mata's sake he doesn't believe some of the things he posted on his blog.

That is a fair point - I wasn't really picking at either poster, just pointing out that this ferocious attack by 2 or 3 posters has ended up with us defending their straw men.The defence of the season is plain - we have been an attacking team, and a risk taking attacking team at that - the accusation is simply false.The defence of the odd game is different - we have accumulated enough points to put the onus on our opponents. And the reason Man U had 70% possession against us was nothing to do with how we played - but all to do with how difficult Man U found it to get it into our box. They seriously struggled with all that possession and it is rather incredible just how easily LVG got away with the post match interviews. I hope for Mata's sake he doesn't believe some of the things he posted on his blog.

Well,I certainly don't think I mounted any ferocious attack Droy. I was just trying to put across my point of view that's all and so were Matt and Rod. Anyway on to Arsenal and I think we're going to win.

Well,I certainly don't think I mounted any ferocious attack Droy. I was just trying to put across my point of view that's all and so were Matt and Rod. Anyway on to Arsenal and I think we're going to win.

yes but everyone else but 2 others on this site does.

yes but everyone else but 2 others on this site does.

So what? People interpret things the way they want. I always explain my stance as clearly as I can, but, in the words of the Grateful Dead, "once it's out there they can do what they want with it".

Of course, nothing you've ever written has ever caused a commotion has it?