• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

West Bromwich Albion 3 Chelsea 0

Too much is made of our massive youth squads that win trophies. Too much is made of how they all look good. I want to hear about how poor most of them are, and how one or two really stand out.

I agree with part of the earlier stuff but Droy, you really do post some off-the-wall type things at times, with the above quote being an apt example.

Wouldn't you rather hear that the youth team is excellent but that 2 or 3 are spectacular?

I agree with part of the earlier stuff but Droy, you really do post some off-the-wall type things at times, with the above quote being an apt example.

Wouldn't you rather hear that the youth team is excellent but that 2 or 3 are spectacular?

A little bit provocative perhaps but with a point. More variability at the cost of the average level would be a good thing.

Or I'd love to hear about the spectacular 2 or 3 (or 1), but find no pleasure in the standard of the rest.

I think these two posts answer themselves.

How so? Bridcutt, Cork and Bertrand are PL players. One of them even made team of the year this season.

We can't live with that can we. Rubbish.

Like Paul66 says, it's not easy to produce a player good enough for Chelsea. But slowly and surely we're getting closer by each passing season. You don't seem to see it, I do. Live with it.

The easy way out of this argument is to play the odds (historically), stick your head in the sand, and refuse to see the progress the academy has been making over the last few years.

Sea foot   

You really are a curmudgeon Droy, aren't you?

We have a great youth set up that win nearly everything. Something to enjoy and be proud of. Will they end up good enough to play for us? I don't know. You don't know.Nobody knows. But lets not let ourselves be a little bit pleased about it though.

3: 1 to us by the way.

Like Paul66 says, it's not easy to produce a player good enough for Chelsea. But slowly and surely we're getting closer by each passing season. You don't seem to see it, I do. Live with it.

Should you be living with Droy's opinion? At least until such time that any kid of ours does play well enough to play for Chelsea? Because it certainly hasn't happened yet.

Can't claim to watch much youth football these days, but when I do I'm always struck that Chelsea look the far better team, but the oppo usually have the most impressive few individuals.

We'll see a few kids against West Brom because we've sod all to play for, not because of their abilities, whatever they may be.

You really are a curmudgeon Droy, aren't you?

We have a great youth set up that win nearly everything. Something to enjoy and be proud of. Will they end up good enough to play for us? I don't know. You don't know.Nobody knows. But lets not let ourselves be a little bit pleased about it though.

3: 1 to us by the way.

There is a terrible feeling of Déjà Lu about these posts. It doesn't seem so long ago that Chalobah was 15 and going to be the next generation of wannabees (which of course was a sign that all the older players weren't going to make it. Now we again are concentrating on another set of 17 & 18 year olds - which to me is a sad sign of 30 or so older kids not making it, but for a few is more scope to imagine where they might be in 3 years time.

I don't know, nobody knows as you say. So why do I get accused for expecting the status quo to continue?

The teams might be great - but who really cares about that? I want a lot more σ and am willing to accept a lot lower μ.

Can't claim to watch much youth football these days, but when I do I'm always struck that Chelsea look the far better team, but the oppo usually have the most impressive few individuals.

Yes. I wonder sometimes at that level whether playing in the stronger team all the time isn't actually a disadvantage.

The star RW at a weaker club is under pressure to beat his FB no matter how good the FB is. The equally good RW at Chelsea is expected to pass the ball around so that the equally good LW can beat the weaker FB on the other side.

The teams might be great - but who really cares about that? I want a lot more σ and am willing to accept a lot lower μ.

Sorry Droy, lost me there: you want a lot more standard deviation and a lot lower permeability? OK, I'm only an ex-engineer, but it all sounds pretty Savillesque to me.

But if you mean we need more exceptional youngsters with defensive skills, I take your point. Not sure I agree, though. Winning the fourth youth cup in six years rather says that they're getting better, don't you think?

Surely the problem is that an excellent youngster in an supremely excellent team is going to find it harder to break through than a good kid in ... say .... Liverpool?

BTW, nothing wrong with being curmudgeonly. Better than kvetching all the time.

Sea foot   

I don't know, nobody knows as you say. So why do I get accused for expecting the status quo to continue?

So surely that is the same as saying that we will all expect Liverpool to win the league every year 'because that was the status quo in th 70s.

We didn't win it for 50 years so we can expect that to continue ad infinitum? Why follow a sport if you only expect the same thing to happen all the time?

You will probably have a good response to this involving probability symbols or something but it doesn't matter as we obviously have a different outlook when watching and following a team so will be lost on me.