• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Falcao

What a mealy mouthed bunch of whingjng pessimists.

This signing is nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

Welcome Falcao.

He has signed for us and that means he gets my unconditional support.

Remember Costa had a dreadful World Cup last year and there was a similar (if less extreme) outcry about us signing him too.

If he can hit the ground running, like Costa did, this could work out well.

Zidane   

What a mealy mouthed bunch of whingjng pessimists.

This signing is nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

Welcome Falcao.

He has signed for us and that means he gets my unconditional support.

Remember Costa had a dreadful World Cup last year and there was a similar (if less extreme) outcry about us signing him too.

If he can hit the ground running, like Costa did, this could work out well.

Falcao is coming in off of the worst season of his career. Costa arrived after his best. The difference is simple really.

Kezza   

To those whining about this transfer. Who do you reckon can play the Drogba role of last season better? Adebayor?

True!

Wrong. Both Torres and Sheva had falling reputations, preceding to joining us, in much the same vain as is precious Falcao.

The only people who haven't been able to measure this has been the club. And some fans who were crazy about Torres and his magical right foot.

So lets wait and see.

So what does this say about Emanelo?

How is he qualified to hold his job still as we are still unable to find one decent striker for the 3rd choice position and still the academy produces nothing. Bamford does not count as he was scoring was fun as a 16 year old when we took notice and so on. So until that days comes our scouting department needs a genuine scout who can get us a striker on the cheap.

So what does this say about Emenalo?

How is he qualified to hold his job still as we are still unable to find one decent striker for the 3rd choice position and still the academy produces nothing. Bamford does not count as he was scoring was fun as a 16 year old when we took notice and so on. So until that days comes our scouting department needs a genuine scout who can get us a striker on the cheap.

It doesn't say anything about Emenualo seeing as Falcao has yet to kick a ball for us and thus neither failed nor succeeded at this point. Always amusing when people on this site think they just know every thing. There is probably hefty analysis and weighing behind Falcao move that we can't even dream of having access to. Chelsea don't simply throw money around with blind eyes.

Rob B   

To those whining about this transfer. Who do you reckon can play the Drogba role of last season better? Adebayor?

I haven't moaned about the transfer & Falcao has my full support, but there must have been plenty of options - e.g. Dzeko, Austin, Bamford, Jackson Martinez, RVP, Benteke - would all do better I'm sure?

I don't buy the notion that we need to sign a clear 'third choice' - my preference would have been to sign someone to compete with Costa and have the quality to allow him to rest on occasions, or be able to step up during inevitable suspensions.

Instead, we may find ourselves in a situation where Costa is flogged to death again.

xCELERYx   

I haven't moaned about the transfer & Falcao has my full support, but there must have been plenty of options - e.g. Dzeko, Austin, Bamford, Jackson Martinez, RVP, Benteke - would all do better I'm sure?

I don't buy the notion that we need to sign a clear 'third choice' - my preference would have been to sign someone to compete with Costa and have the quality to allow him to rest on occasions, or be able to step up during inevitable suspensions.

Instead, we may find ourselves in a situation where Costa is flogged to death again.

Dzeko would't have signed to play a similar role he does at City, while the cost of obtaining him from a fellow title rival would have been excessive. Jackson Martinez similar boat in terms of expensiveness for the position he'd have held, plus wouldn't move to play second or third fiddle behind Costa. To sign Benteke would require activating his £32.5 million or whatever release clause. Again, far too expensive for the role he'd occupy. Austin is a rung or two lower in terms of quality, though still reasonably priced when all things considered. The risk would be falling victim to "second season syndrome", while would he be open to spending more time on the bench when he could go elsewhere and effectively be a regular. He'd also need to step up a level too. Bamford, similar in ways to Austin and lacks the experience at the elite level. There's a considerable leap that needs to be made from CC level with Middlesborough and EPL level Chelsea. Also lacks the all-round game still at the moment, despite having the ability around goal. Better served with another year of development. As for RVP, that cannot be a serious option, surely?

As has been mentioned before, there is a lack of genuine striking options in this particular transfer market. Perspective needs to be had and realise we're not after someone to come in as first choice, that position is effectively Costa's. What we're needing is reasonable options to fall back on, not necessarily a world beater, but one that can fill a certain role when called upon. That just limits the pool of realistic options even more.

Kezza   

We dont need to sign a clear third choice. Sure. But that's not how Jose operates. He doesn't need another first choice. Or even he doesn't give one much of a chance even if he can technically compete. Look at Remy. Good enough to start most matches but once Jose nails down Costa as the starter you don't have a chance. Even Drogba is preferred to Remy. You saying Remy doesn't compete well enough with Drogba? That shouldn't even be a question. Bottom line is woth Jose's approach you only really need a player who is willing to take a back seat to Costa. And Falcao after much publicised underperformance last season is well justified and expected to sit and bide his time.