• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CostaTheBlue

Ashes 2015

Credit where credit is due, it was a great win. The Aussie's didn't play badly at all, it was that England played with control and dominated how they wanted the game to be played.

I think that you're being generous to the Australian team there, Paul. England were great, but Australia were really poor. England comprehensively outplayed the Aussies in just about every facet of the game. The bowlers were outstanding. Great captaincy from Cook, too (his field settings & bowling changes, were refreshingly aggressive and at times, innovative).

Australia have an awful lot of work to do, in a very short space of time, before the second test. If they don't make the hard decisions, this series could be over before it really starts.

I think that you're being generous to the Australian team there, Paul. England were great, but Australia were really poor. England comprehensively outplayed the Aussies in just about every facet of the game. The bowlers were outstanding. Great captaincy from Cook, too (his field settings & bowling changes, were refreshingly aggressive and at times, innovative).

Australia have an awful lot of work to do, in a very short space of time, before the second test. If they don't make the hard decisions, this series could be over before it really starts.

He really surprised me. I've never been a huge fan of Cook (good opening batsman, decent fielder, over-cautious captain), but especially yesterday during the Aussie's second innings, his field placings were something else. I had to wonder if perhaps in the gap between the New Zealand series and this test someone had removed his brain and replaced it with Mike Brearley's!

I really tried to understand the game but no, it's just not for me.

What I'm really struggling with is then talent needed to be 'good'. What athletic ability is key to be a good cricket player?

From a bowlers point of view and Geoff Boycott's, it's Line and Length all day long. Restrict the batsman's chances of playing the ball and then give them a delivery that they can't resist. He nicks it to the slips or smacks it to an out-fielder.

From a batsman, learning to leave well alone the above delivery and try not to antagonise a fast bowler.

And concentration is key in both areas.

Mr Tucker, as you are well aware, we in England try not to get over excited because past experience usually tells us that things can go tits up.

But, I do have to say that things are looking good at the moment. Thursday can't come soon enough.

Thanks for trying to explain it to a total cricket-illiterate. I can't claim to be much wiser now though!

I'm thinking it may be similar features as for baseball (lord have mercy, that's a boring game!). Hitting a fast ball that will hurt you if it hits you and catching that ball when someone finally hits the damn thing.

I suppose there's a bit of running involved as well and then the bowlers/pitchers who need a strong arm to throw.

I think I'll just leave it at that and accept I'll never learn/understand it!

Sea foot   

If you just watch the game ball by ball, it can look boring. But if you can watch the game as a whole, realise that a single ball bowled could be setting up the batsman for a ball bowled in 2 or 3 overs time, then the complexities and subtleties of the game start to become clear. You cannot really watch the game with your footie head on.

Agree wholeheartedly with the assessment of Cook's captaincy, got it spot on. Plus I would just like to say

ROOOOOT!!!!

My advise, watch the game but listen to the radio. The commentary is 2nd to none and always brightens up my day.

I prefer Sky's coverage, it's the best job they do on any sport.

They basically nicked all the best BBC commentators and copied the style, haven't they?