• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Crystal Palace 2

Vinod   

is not that the catch22 then? how do you get a clue regarding how good baba is without giving him a chance? it is a home game against palace (who in their right are a very good team) but its definitely a point where baba can be given his first start and iva can be given his warning.

I simply can not agree with the second point of yours. iva has been dribbled past 8 times. 8 times in 3 games. which is the highest number in the league presently. montero owning iva have nothing to do with cesc not providing cover. infact we play willian and ramires on the right wing with the primary responsibility of covering iva. infact azpi was brilliant against wba and decent against swansea in dealing with ayew.

everyone is rooting for baba because he is unknown and considering the amount of money we have paid for a 21 year old LB, people have high hopes. people are simply assuming that the minimum baba can do as a fulback is not get skinned almost every time a winger is running at him or he can atleast close down crosses, something which iva does not even try to do.

Simply put, while Ivanovic at RB and Azpi at LB have been bad lately, Baba could be even worse. We can argue as much as we want here but we only have information on Bran and Azpi. For all you know, Baba could be even worse. The only thing I know about him is that he has speed and strength; which why I am saying that in this particular case Jose is probably the best person to take a call because he has more information. Information he gets by seeing the players train day in day out. I would buy arguments from fans if we saw Baba in a 15 minute cameo or a Cup game. Till such time I will back Jose.

However, I disagree with the Dave gets more protection than Ivanovic stance. Ivanovic usually has Wilian on that side and against Citeh had Ramires. The fact is he's got done one on one countless times already this season, whereas Dave is probably the best one on one defender in the league

Partly agree. Willian is excellent at pressing, but terrible when it comes to awareness. I have seen him stroll when he should be sprinting to his position. I will happily admit that between Ivanovic and Dave, Ivanovic has fared worse.

All said and done, the generally poor form of both full backs could be down to fitness. Surely margins are fine in high level sports.

Simply put, while Ivanovic at RB and Azpi at LB have been bad lately, Baba could be even worse. We can argue as much as we want here but we only have information on Bran and Azpi. For all you know, Baba could be even worse. The only thing I know about him is that he has speed and strength; which why I am saying that in this particular case Jose is probably the best person to take a call because he has more information. Information he gets by seeing the players train day in day out. I would buy arguments from fans if we saw Baba in a 15 minute cameo or a Cup game. Till such time I will back Jose.

Partly agree. Willian is excellent at pressing, but terrible when it comes to awareness. I have seen him stroll when he should be sprinting to his position. I will happily admit that between Ivanovic and Dave, Ivanovic has fared worse.

All said and done, the generally poor form of both full backs could be down to fitness. Surely margins are fine in high level sports.

again. "could be". yes he "could be" worse or he "could be much much much better".is there a risk? yes. should we take that risk? DEFINITELY.

also, jose is a human too. he is the best manager in the world right now and probably will down as one of the best managers in the world but even the best have flaws. I will support chelsea and jose too but there should also be criticism when necessary.

xCELERYx   

Errr. Willian is one of the most aware players we have when it comes to off the ball movement. There has been countless time where his awareness has allowed him to read the play early, nick the ball and set us on our way on the break. He is also aware when it comes to his defensive role, which is exactly why he tracks back as much as he does, often covering Ivanovic.

I'm sure if we look back into the forum for the first few games of the season we'll see Ivanovic getting berated, normally after three or four games he gets with it and is much better.

It's been unfortunate for him this year that his slow start has synchronised with meeting fast wingers.

Errr. Willian is one of the most aware players we have when it comes to off the ball movement. There has been countless time where his awareness has allowed him to read the play early, nick the ball and set us on our way on the break. He is also aware when it comes to his defensive role, which is exactly why he tracks back as much as he does, often covering Ivanovic.

Quite.

Not only is he one of our more underrated players, he's easily one of the most misunderstood players I've seen with us in a quite a while.

Vinod   

again. "could be". yes he "could be" worse or he "could be much much much better".is there a risk? yes. should we take that risk? DEFINITELY.

also, jose is a human too. he is the best manager in the world right now and probably will down as one of the best managers in the world but even the best have flaws. I will support chelsea and jose too but there should also be criticism when necessary.

It is very easy to sit at home and pass comments on taking risks; not that easy in the real world and sometimes not that sensible - be it in football or any management situation.

Errr. Willian is one of the most aware players we have when it comes to off the ball movement. There has been countless time where his awareness has allowed him to read the play early, knick the ball and set us on our way on the break. He is also aware when it comes to his defensive role, which is exactly why he tracks back as much as he does, often covering Ivanovic.

And there are times when he has played strikers offside or not bothered to track a fullback leading to goals/ goalscoring opportunities. I know he is good at defending compared to most wingers, but he is prone to mistakes; mistakes not caused to poor technique or sluggishness - but due to lack of awareness.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/32323

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/15338/#player-tournament-stats-defensive

iva has an average of 2.7 "Dribbled past per game" for 3 games (8 total) compared to janmaat's 0.5 for 2 games (1 total).

Sorry - you are new on here - welcome - and missed my usual cynicism.

What I meant was that Janmat tried to stop Montero and got booked twice for fouls on him by half time.

sometimes, you just have to accept that the player is faster than you

I'm sure if we look back into the forum for the first few games of the season we'll see Ivanovic getting berated, normally after three or four games he gets with it and is much better.

It's been unfortunate for him this year that his slow start has synchronised with meeting fast wingers.

Yes - indeed it seems like pretty much every season.

Though normally it is his ability going forward that is criticised. That quietens down after a few crosses that lead to goals and a couple for himself.

Sorry - you are new on here - welcome - and missed my usual cynicism.

What I meant was that Janmat tried to stop Montero and got booked twice for fouls on him by half time.

sometimes, you just have to accept that the player is faster than you

hahha.. fair enough and I totally agree.

It is very easy to sit at home and pass comments on taking risks; not that easy in the real world and sometimes not that sensible - be it in football or any management situation.

And there are times when he has played strikers offside or not bothered to track a fullback leading to goals/ goalscoring opportunities. I know he is good at defending compared to most wingers, but he is prone to mistakes; mistakes not caused to poor technique or sluggishness - but due to lack of awareness.

Are you telling me that its not sensible to drop iva in his current state and form for a player we paid 21 million pounds for?

also, we have paid some serious money for baba. almost equivalent to the money of our whole back 4 combined last season (iva - 9mil, gc- 7mil, jt - 0 , azpi - 7). this is not the first time jose must have seen baba play. I am sure he and the other personnel would have spent hours and hours to find out the solution to a problem that has been plaguing us for almost a season now.

so yes, it is very easy to sit at home and pass comments on taking risks. sometimes its not easy too. but in this case, it is easy as well as very sensible.