• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Crystal Palace 2

Sorry - you are new on here - welcome - and missed my usual cynicism.

What I meant was that Janmat tried to stop Montero and got booked twice for fouls on him by half time.

sometimes, you just have to accept that the player is faster than you

And sometimes you just have to accept your fullback isn't very good at defending.

I've always said Ivanovic isn't good at defending on the ground. Sure he's never been quite this bad, but defending was never his strong point.

Yes - indeed it seems like pretty much every season.

Though normally it is his ability going forward that is criticised. That quietens down after a few crosses that lead to goals and a couple for himself.

So let me ask you Droy, how many crosses from Ivan led to a goal last season? Do you know?

Surely you're not quoting stats you haven't looked up yourself?

Are you telling me that its not sensible to drop iva in his current state and form for a player we paid 21 million pounds for?

also, we have paid some serious money for baba. almost equivalent to the money of our whole back 4 combined last season (iva - 9mil, gc- 7mil, jt - 0 , azpi - 7). this is not the first time jose must have seen baba play. I am sure he and the other personnel would have spent hours and hours to find out the solution to a problem that has been plaguing us for almost a season now.

so yes, it is very easy to sit at home and pass comments on taking risks. sometimes its not easy too. but in this case, it is easy as well as very sensible.

If Vinod isn't saying it, I would.

You could have said the same about Zouma last season but he only got 7 starts in the Prem.

On transfer fees Baba might be expensive, on wages I'd guess he gets 10% of what the core back 4 get together.

As for the problem that we have had for a season - do you think that that is Ivanovic? If you said 3 games, I could understand, but surely Ivanovic (and JT) were part of the solution for the last season.

Vinod   

Are you telling me that its not sensible to drop iva in his current state and form for a player we paid 21 million pounds for?

No, I am saying it might not be.

also, we have paid some serious money for baba. almost equivalent to the money of our whole back 4 combined last season (iva - 9mil, gc- 7mil, jt - 0 , azpi - 7).

No proof of pudding. See Torres, Shevchenko, SWP, etc. Also, we paid the money not for what he brings to the squad now but for his potential.

this is not the first time jose must have seen baba play.

And yet did not play him. Maybe its quality, fitness, tactical awareness or any other reason. Maybe he will play Baba against Palace. If he does, it simply means Baba has convinced Jose in training.

I am sure he and the other personnel would have spent hours and hours to find out the solution to a problem that has been plaguing us for almost a season now.

Just 4 games. Not a season.

so yes, it is very easy to sit at home and pass comments on taking risks. sometimes its not easy too.

I agree. especially, commenting knowing Droy might read :)

but in this case, it is easy as well as very sensible.
You think it is obvious. It is not.

If Vinod isn't saying it, I would.

You could have said the same about Zouma last season but he only got 7 starts in the Prem.

On transfer fees Baba might be expensive, on wages I'd guess he gets 10% of what the core back 4 get together.

As for the problem that we have had for a season - do you think that that is Ivanovic? If you said 3 games, I could understand, but surely Ivanovic (and JT) were part of the solution for the last season.

zouma would have been a solution last season, but evidently, we went back to a lower block and JT and GC are masters in that. currently we are back to a high line and so zouma is playing.

ivanovic was a problem last season too. playing willian as a RW to cover for him, playing rambo as a RW for cover for him gives us a lot of evidence of exactly what jose considers as our weak flank. I remember seeing a map of where all the assists to all the goals we conceded last season came from. and unsurprisingly, most of them were down the right.

No, I am saying it might not be.

No proof of pudding. See Torres, Shevchenko, SWP, etc. Also, we paid the money not for what he brings to the squad now but for his potential.

And yet did not play him. Maybe its quality, fitness, tactical awareness or any other reason. Maybe he will play Baba against Palace. If he does, it simply means Baba has convinced Jose in training.

Just 4 games. Not a season.

I agree. especially, commenting knowing Droy might read :)

You think it is obvious. It is not.

if we are going to rate all our transfers on torres, Sheva, veron and SWP, we might as well stop buying players altogether. I mean whats the point then. we have 5 defenders without baba, he was not just a signing for the future or a potential signing. he was signed as a back-up to iva/azpi. in case either of them got injured and/or suspended and/or lost form. hence, this is the exact scenario when a player like him should get a chance.

I dont know why we did not play baba. I dont think anyone can say that the decision not to play him was a success.

its been almost a season of poor defending, sloppy tracking back, not closing down the crosses from iva. playing willian and rambo on the RW to mainly cover for it is proof enough.

I think it is obvious because I see a win-win situation in it. even if baba does a cuadrado, atleast it would send a message to iva to not take his position as guaranteed which some of his performances have shown.

zouma would have been a solution last season, but evidently, we went back to a lower block and JT and GC are masters in that. currently we are back to a high line and so zouma is playing.

ivanovic was a problem last season too. playing willian as a RW to cover for him, playing rambo as a RW for cover for him gives us a lot of evidence of exactly what jose considers as our weak flank. I remember seeing a map of where all the assists to all the goals we conceded last season came from. and unsurprisingly, most of them were down the right.

Ivanovic is a weak link because his starting position is 30 yards forward of the LB, not because Ivanovic is the weak link. Ivanovic and JT started every game. How are selections in other positions is better evidence of JM's worries than that.

Ivanovic is a weak link because his starting position is 30 yards forward of the LB, not because Ivanovic is the weak link. Ivanovic and JT started every game. How are selections in other positions is better evidence of JM's worries than that.

exactly. he is not half as pacy as azpi is. he can't dribble which these days has become almost a necessity for a fullback and his crosses are far far from good. most of them are closed down or aimed at no one in particular. more over he leaves us circumspect to counters. all of this azpi can be improved by doing the obvious and shifting azpi back to RB.

xCELERYx   

And there are times when he has played strikers offside or not bothered to track a fullback leading to goals/ goalscoring opportunities. I know he is good at defending compared to most wingers, but he is prone to mistakes; mistakes not caused to poor technique or sluggishness - but due to lack of awareness.

The only time I can recall him playing a striker onside was in the recent Swansea game, which wasn't exactly his fault, even though he was the one that eventually did play the Swansea forward onside. He was doing his job, he was tracking back and the run of the attacker, which if he hadn't done would have allowed said attacker clean through on the right. The issue was that when he did that the rest of the back line stood up to play offside on the other attacker, leaving Willian caught out. The poor awareness was on behalf of the entire back line, not that of Willian who was simply doing the job he's asked to do.

You're exceptionally wide of the mark on this one. And with that being said, I feel this would be appropriate to bring up.

http://chelseaindex.com/2015/02/23/understanding-willian-why-is-he-so-important-to-chelsea/

So when Ivanovic is doing something that destabilises us defensively you say nothing. But when Matic presses to try and win the ball you chastise him? A tad unfair I reckon.

Personally I don't see Ivanovics starting position as anything bad or even a problem. He's useful in the air so it makes sense to use his strengths. He does it mostly when our goalkeeper has the ball so he risks are small anyways. It's his weakness defending 1-on-1 that's the problem for me and the fact he consistently wanders off unaware of what's around him.

He's improved slightly in that regard (his positionin used to be atrocious) but it's still some way off what I'd expect from one of our "untouchables".

Edit: and he can he please stop defending with his arms behind his back? His mobility and balance is poor already, he doesn't need to give himself further disadvantage.