• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Crystal Palace 2

And replace with who? Mikel is probably more negative than Matic. Ramires we know. RLC is not trusted.

Mikel. Because at least Mikel holds his position. The simple truth here is that the Matic/Fabregas combination isn't working because neither adequately protect the back4. Oppo forwards and midfielders are walking through us with ease, because other managers have worked out where our weakness is. Something has to change. Put Mikel next to Matic. Put Mikel next to Fabregas. Stick Ramires or RLC in there for one of them. Anything's better than what we're enduring at the moment, surely?

As per what MT said. Despite Mikel being a more negative player, he would at least do his job. Matic has offered nothing going forward, nothing defensively and has nearly cost us on several occasions.

Can't hurt to try Mikel.

Kezza   

When Matic came he was fresh air over the negativity of Mikel. Now we are looking to go back to Mikel. I do not think the system doesn't work. Matic and Fab worked wonderfully last season. But yes Matic has to pick up his form.

xCELERYx   

If Mourinho is going to keep the 2 CMs of Matic/Cesc, I'd be not letting either of them enter the final third of the pitch, nor would they be advised to close down players as often as they currently do. I'd happy sacrifice some on-ball pressure in exchange for better defensive shape and positioning.

Matic and Fab worked wonderfully last season. But yes Matic has to pick up his form.

It worked best in the first half of last season, when we also employed the press up front. Second half of the season (post Spurs) when we abandoned the press and everyone dropped deeper, it didn't work anywhere near as well. And this season (both in the real games, and pre-season) it hasn't worked at all. If at least one of the sitting players isn't a proper defensive player, then why have the two back? If they're job isn't to shield the back4, then why are they there?

If Mourinho is going to keep the 2 CMs of Matic/Cesc, I'd be not letting either of them enter the final third of the pitch, nor would they be advised to close down players as often as they currently do. I'd happy sacrifice some on-ball pressure in exchange for better defensive shape and positioning.

Yes I can get behind this. The on ball pressure hasn't even been good enough to justify the space in behind our DM line, and sometimes its best to get back to basics.

Boni   

It worked best in the first half of last season, when we also employed the press up front. Second half of the season (post Spurs) when we abandoned the press and everyone dropped deeper, it didn't work anywhere near as well. And this season (both in the real games, and pre-season) it hasn't worked at all. If at least one of the sitting players isn't a proper defensive player, then why have the two back? If they're job isn't to shield the back4, then why are they there?

To be honest Fabregas has never been good defensively even when when we defended well as a team. Fabregas is not the problem here. Matic and Ivanovic are far from being the players they were last season and as a result we suffer defensively. Febragas has always been that way when it comes to defensive duties yet our team still looked organized. Sort the Ivanovic+ Matic problem and we'll be fine

Boni   

When Matic came he was fresh air over the negativity of Mikel. Now we are looking to go back to Mikel. I do not think the system doesn't work. Matic and Fab worked wonderfully last season. But yes Matic has to pick up his form.

I agree that Matic has to pick up form.

Sciatika   

I am hoping Oscar is back. Cesc's passing on Sunday was (mostly) very poor.

I expect JM to play Ivanovic again despite his drop in form because I think he will want to strengthen the back line (without JT) and bed in the relaitonship with Pedro.

I know we dont play "that way", but I would consider a diamond for this game:

--------------Courteois

-----Bran--Zouma---Cahill---Azpi

-----------------Mikel

----Pedro---------------- Willian

-----------------Oscar

-----------Costa----Hazard

If Oscar's not fit, I'd move Willian into the 10 and play Baba on the left.

Got to be:

Courtois; Ivanovic, Zouma, Cahill, Azpilicueta; Matic, Fabregas; Pedro, Oscar, Hazard; Costa.

I don't think Baba is going to get a start until the COC 3rd round. I just get a sense that this is the way Jose is going to deal with him.

If Oscar is fit then a home game against Palace is exactly the sort to put him in. Otherwise, replace with Willian as before.