• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Conway

Forgotten Chelsea players.

Not sure if this will be kept up, but I know we have all at some point named our favourite Chelsea players and teams on here at some point. But I thought a new topic where we could talk about players who were Underated or some that many have forgot even pulled on a Chelsea shirt.

I'll start off and shout out for Sam Dalla Bona. Was watching some stuff from 2001 the other day, and I remember thinking back then just what a talent he was or could of been for Chelsea had he hung around after the 01/02 season. He seemed to become a bit of a journey man in Italy shortly after leaving us.

I too thought Samuel Dalla Bona was going to be great and was amazed we let him go so easily. We have had a lot of hype for our young players over the last 10 years, but I still don't think any of them have shown the promise of Dalla Bona, Huth or Carlton Cole (and while two of them broke into their national teams, none ever became Chelsea standard - which is why I get so annoyed with those who think the latest 5 hopefuls have all had their careers ruined by Chelsea).

In 96/97 I was living abroad already so I had never even heard of Paul Hughes. It was probably 5 years before my internet connection was good enough to down load video links. And I found this:

From the late 70s/early 80s I loved Mike Fillery. Sweetest left foot you will ever see. Colin Pates was a wonderful central defender and skipper and it was criminal that he never earned a single England cap.

Back in the 90s we were still messing up with left backs. We had a lad called John Harley who burst onto the scene and everyone predicted with a little help and in a team like Chelsea he would become an England regular. We sold him.

There's a few from my early years of supporting Chelsea, Paul Hughes as Droy said, Mark Nicholls, probably most famous for scoring at the Lane in that 6-1 game. Having looked at his Wiki - my was he a journeyman after he left!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Nicholls#Chelsea

I too liked Dalla Bona a few years on, I recently got that Chelsea's best premier league goals and he features in clips a few times. Forssell at the time really excited me too.

Nice nostalgic thread!

fatbloke   

Trevor Aylott, him with the heavy legs.

Dave Mitchell

Eammon Bannon

Oh and Sam Dalla Bonna is a hero of mine, I was given a spare Everton away ticket years ago, sold it for £20 outside and smacked the money on Sam for the first goal at 28/1. Happy days.

paulw66   

I too thought Samuel Dalla Bona was going to be great and was amazed we let him go so easily.

Dalla Bona had a year left on his contract and wanted to go back to Italy. We sold him to Milan, who at the time were better than us and he couldn't get a game. His career then slid down to Serie B. If he had stayed with us, under Ranieri, who rated him, he would have had a much better career, I am certain.

Forssell - injuries ruined him. Shame.

^^ Bannon is a great shout - I read his wiki and see he was only with us from February to October.

But very good even in a team that got relegated.

John McNaught - a man so hard he made Vinnie Jones look like Pat Nevin.

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football/chelsea-fc/john-mcnaught-7683/biography-1986-87-1987-88_a11932/