Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sea foot

Colemanballs

10 posts in this topic

Don't know whether a thread exist for this but.....

Whilst watching Match of the Day tonight the commentator said during the Southampton/Stoke game, "Tadic nearly scoring his second consecutive goal in as many matches".

Classic.

Got any more?

Swedish commentary during the USA 94' WC said:

Loosely translated:

"I looks dark on the Cameroonian substitutes bench."

I still laugh at that (much funnier in Swedish).

The voice over is actually from the Radio summary at the end of the day, and Brian Johnson melts into hysterical giggling for the next couple of minutes

From the Telegraph:

When commentator Steve Wilson said: "Great to see Doug Ellis here in his Villa scarf," the accompanying subtitles instead read: "Great to see Doug Ellis here with Hezbollah."
One eagle-eyed viewer spotted the mistake and wrote to the Radio Times to highlight the BBC's mistake.
A spokesperson for the BBC have since apologised for gaffe, explaining the error was down to the failure of voice recognition technology.

The original, Mr David Coleman himself commentating on an athletics meeting and describing the American runner "hailing from R-Kansas".....I suppose it IS spelled that way

It was Mr Coleman who said "here comes Juantorena, opening his legs and showing his class"

Can't remember who but.... "Keegan , in like a surgeons knife. BANG!"

It was Mr Coleman who said "here comes Juantorena, opening his legs and showing his class"

That's a great example of a gaffe that has gone down in TV history without any footage to back it up. You can find the 1976 races on YouTube but you won't hear him say it, sadly, so I think it was made up.

Two more examples that were never actually said (if they were they'd be replayed at every opportunity):

1. " The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey". I believe Brian Johnston came up with it. But it was never said in commentary

2. "The wife of the rowing club President is kissing the Cox of the Oxford crew". Supposedly Harry Carpenter but invented by a Guardian reader, apparently.

If anyone knows different I'd love to hear the original recordings but they do not appear to exist.

That's a great example of a gaffe that has gone down in TV history without any footage to back it up. You can find the 1976 races on YouTube but you won't hear him say it, sadly, so I think it was made up.

Two more examples that were never actually said (if they were they'd be replayed at every opportunity):

1. " The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey". I believe Brian Johnston came up with it. But it was never said in commentary

2. "The wife of the rowing club President is kissing the Cox of the Oxford crew". Supposedly Harry Carpenter but invented by a Guardian reader, apparently.

If anyone knows different I'd love to hear the original recordings but they do not appear to exist.

It's true Johnners never actually said the Holding/Willey one (apparently it was a co-commentator who, off-air, pointed out the "joke") but he did say "There's Neil Harvey standing at leg slip with his legs wide apart, waiting for a tickle"

My two favourite football related Colemanballs, actually said by the man himself, were "Forest have now lost six matches without winning." and "If that had gone in, it would have been a goal!"