Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Beckingham

Dissertation help

0 posts in this topic

Hi, my name is Tom Beckingham and I am a third year student at Liverpool John Moores University, studying Sport Development with the business of sport. I am asking for you to take 15 minutes out of your time to complete a short questionnaire for my dissertation project. The aim of the project is to gain an insight into fans perceptions of who is responsible for the current financial state of the Premier League. I would be extremely grateful for your time.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/M7MS5NM

I take it you mean Stefan Szymanski, and not Szymanki.

Q10 & 11 are the same

Q8 & Q12 don't really mean very much.

Q14 is just a truism

You aren't clear by media whether you mean SKY etc who are selling football on TV, or the independent papers/sports press who just comment on it.

I point these things out because I have the strong impression that you have given us the draft survey to try out, before you go away and write the real one.

and 5 mins max is all it takes.

I would have hoped a 3rd year dissertation project was supposed to be a serious piece of work. In which case why on earth are you asking football fans what they think of the financial development of football clubs. Go ask someone who knows or cares. Like your colleagues at your University. I can just about imagine a dissertation on Supermarket companies involving a customer satisfaction survey, but I certainly can't imagine the student asking customers questions about supermarket investment policies.

If on the other hand this is really just a "do a survey using the internet" project, why not at least choose a topic where fans opinions have some relevance. For example I think it would be really interesting to ask what fans would do if a new richer "Chelsea" or "City" set up within 20 miles of their home. Would they stay with their current club or move to the big time club? A clever question would be to ask the fans on here if they have ever been fans of another London club? Or of local teams Fulham or QPR. (at local derbys of any pair, two sets of fans sing "there's only one team in Fulham", Fulham being the neighbourhood for all 3.)

The current financial state of the Premier League. You avoid stating exactly what you mean by this, but the questions seem to imply it is in a poor state. It isn't - the PL and its club are all in excellent state and you should know that - perhaps by surveying experts.

It is however in a rapid growth state, and by the third year of your studies you should know that that means the competing companies should be looking grow revenues rapidly and/or gain a strong market position; that they should be willing to sacrifice profits or even accept losses to do so; and that the owner should be looking to put additional equity into their investment to make sure they become one of the big winners.

I take it you mean Stefan Szymanski, and not Szymanki.

Q10 & 11 are the same

Q8 & Q12 don't really mean very much.

Q14 is just a truism

You aren't clear by media whether you mean SKY etc who are selling football on TV, or the independent papers/sports press who just comment on it.

I point these things out because I have the strong impression that you have given us the draft survey to try out, before you go away and write the real one.

and 5 mins max is all it takes.

I would have hoped a 3rd year dissertation project was supposed to be a serious piece of work. In which case why on earth are you asking football fans what they think of the financial development of football clubs. Go ask someone who knows or cares. Like your colleagues at your University. I can just about imagine a dissertation on Supermarket companies involving a customer satisfaction survey, but I certainly can't imagine the student asking customers questions about supermarket investment policies.

If on the other hand this is really just a "do a survey using the internet" project, why not at least choose a topic where fans opinions have some relevance. For example I think it would be really interesting to ask what fans would do if a new richer "Chelsea" or "City" set up within 20 miles of their home. Would they stay with their current club or move to the big time club? A clever question would be to ask the fans on here if they have ever been fans of another London club? Or of local teams Fulham or QPR. (at local derbys of any pair, two sets of fans sing "there's only one team in Fulham", Fulham being the neighbourhood for all 3.)

The current financial state of the Premier League. You avoid stating exactly what you mean by this, but the questions seem to imply it is in a poor state. It isn't - the PL and its club are all in excellent state and you should know that - perhaps by surveying experts.

It is however in a rapid growth state, and by the third year of your studies you should know that that means the competing companies should be looking grow revenues rapidly and/or gain a strong market position; that they should be willing to sacrifice profits or even accept losses to do so; and that the owner should be looking to put additional equity into their investment to make sure they become one of the big winners.

I did mean Stefan Szymanski yes and the data will be put into another programme to be analysed so if there has been a small typo I can change that but thanks for pointing it out! The survey is being used as a phase 1 of research to gather primary data to then be analysed and used in focus groups for the in depth data that I require. The question you pose is certainly an interesting one but there has to be enough literature on the subject for me to research that area and then a gap for me to explore further. Obviously there has been a lot of work done on football finance but there has been nothing from a fans perspective which is why I have chosen that. I'd love to explore a completely new topic but I couldn't write a dissertation on it because there would be no literature to review about it. Also what might not mean much to you does not mean nothing to me as they have all been selected for a reason. Question 10 and 11 are not the same one was on the field the other was off the field.

I was also careful to say who is responsible for the current financial state because people have very different opinions and I would like to see if fans from different clubs think differently among other variables. That last piece of information is fantastic though for me as it is exactly the sort of data I want from my focus group. I appreciate your input and hope I've answered some of the issues but they are definitely noted!

Well done for coming back to us on that. Especially as I was a bit brusque to start with.

I still think that the answer to "who is responsible for the good current state of football?" is very different to the same question about an assumed bad state. More or less the reverse question. So interpreting answers will be tricky.

Well done for coming back to us on that. Especially as I was a bit brusque to start with.

I still think that the answer to "who is responsible for the good current state of football?" is very different to the same question about an assumed bad state. More or less the reverse question. So interpreting answers will be tricky.

I'm hoping the focus groups can iron out any issues I have on data collection and will take up all issues raised on various forums with my tutors when I am back as some good points have been raised. I apologise for late replies as they need to be seen by a moderator before they can be posted.