• Current Donation Goals

Ham

Positivity corner

Holymoly   
19 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Zlatan is a very poor example. The Swedesh league, and even the Dutch league are not of the same competitiveness of the PL by a country mile. Giving a kid a chance is far easier. 

That's my point. However if we don't provide the opportunity for players to develop what's the point in spending moneyt on the academy. You could use the extra to buy another Winston Bogarde every year.

paulw66   
On 7/14/2018 at 11:49 AM, Holymoly said:

That's my point. However if we don't provide the opportunity for players to develop what's the point in spending moneyt on the academy. You could use the extra to buy another Winston Bogarde every year.

you're right. the argument to close the academy must be a strong one. 

What we really need is Chelsea B playing in the Championship, like Barca and Real have, 

On 7/14/2018 at 11:49 AM, Holymoly said:

As I have always said:  Academies don't scale up in size.  They are of much advantage to mid level clubs than the top ones.  And those in countries which allow them to take U16 kids from abroad, given anyone and family work visas (and sometimes jobs), and even give HGH to promising but a bit small youngsters, have a massive advantage over UK Academies.  

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

What we really need is Chelsea B playing in the Championship, like Barca and Real have, 

Well not really.  The second Spanish division is nothing like the Championship  - in fact most of La Liga is only like the Championship.  And yet both Barca B and RM B spend most of their time in the 3rd division.  Barca B spend just 7 of the last 20 seasons in 2a (2nd level), 12 in the third and one even in the 4th.  They were relegated to 2b (third) this year.  RM have spent 4 out of the last 20 years in the 2nd level, 16 at the third.

To be honest a lot more U23 game might help, but in most cases players will improve fastest on loan to proper competitive clubs.  There are far far more UK alternatives for that than in other countries (though the competition means that kids will be dropped quickly if they don't perform).  Jay Da Silva is getting much much more useful game time in Div 1 with Charlton than he ever could at Barca B or RM B.