Holymoly

Next Chelsea Captain

209 posts in this topic

I think now is the time to consider exactly who is going to take over from Terry, if not next season then definately in the near future.

Gone are the days, and I think we are one of the last clubs to succumb, when a player is synonymous with a club. Other than Mr Potato Head at Manure I can't honestly be confident in naming any other captain in the Premier League. A season or two ago I'd have nominated Cahill for the armband and maybe he still has a chance if he is able to cement his place in the first team squad. I really don't think Ivanovic is the man for the job. I don't doubt his commitment but I feel he too is nearing the end of the road and besides which off the pitch he doesn't exude the air of leadership I believe you need.

Earlier in the season, and probably up to that point as well due to his previous affiliations I wouldn't have dreampt of considering this player. However after seeing him in the post match interview after we thrashed City in the Cup where he berated Hazard for not taking the penalty that Oscar subsequently missed I am beginning to think that maybe Fabregas is the only player at the club with the self belief, together with the ability to guarantee making the starting lineup most games, necessary to wear the armband. Add to that he provides a bridge between the Mediterranean players and the home support.

Any other thoughts or are we going to parachute someone new in?

Our lord and saviour John Obi Mikel.

Could imagine them giving it to Fabregas though.

fabregas seems the obvious choice for me, but would imagine ivanovic will get it seeing as he is vice captain.

I would agree with Fabregas as well, he is very experienced and has the reputation that younger players will look up to and respect. He has also done the job before.

I'm not convinced that Bran or Cahill have the right personalities and there are also questions marks around there regular place in the team next season.

Of course we may sign new players, one of which could be a candidate for captain. Or does that work having a new player come in as captain?

8 minutes ago, Jonny_CFC said:

I would agree with Fabregas as well, he is very experienced and has the reputation that younger players will look up to and respect. He has also done the job before.

I'm not convinced that Bran or Cahill have the right personalities and there are also questions marks around there regular place in the team next season.

Of course we may sign new players, one of which could be a candidate for captain. Or does that work having a new player come in as captain?

No. I'd give it to someone who is a certain starter. Someone who has the respect of the other team members and has been at the club a decent amount of time. Someone who the fans respect and was not embroiled in whatever was going on at the start of the season and has managed to keep his form level high. Someone who is not a hot head. Someone who can speak English and Spanish. Someone who is a decent person and can't be ripped to shreds by the media at the first opportunity.

That person is Dave. 

Agree there has to be certain criteria, definitely someone who has already spent time at the club and who is a regular starter.

That leaves...

Courtois, Cahill, Terry, Zouma, Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Mikel, Matic, Fabregas, Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Costa

I really do like Costa's passion and drive especially of late, but a cool head is also necessary.

Considering who I feel has the right attitude / leadership and qualities of a club captain, I'd go for Fabregas, Azpilicueta or Cahill (probably in that order).

I did think about Dave as an option.

Does he have the character or personality of a captain though? He certainly has many of the attributes needed but I'm not sure he is a leader?

Certainly an option though.

I like Dave and I don't think he'd do a bad job. My impression from afar though is that he's maybe a little too 'nice'.

1 minute ago, bluecueball said:

I like Dave and I don't think he'd do a bad job. My impression from afar though is that he's maybe a little too 'nice'.

Maybe he could be given a Denis Wise transplant?

9 minutes ago, bluecueball said:

It's only in this country we are bothered by that. Lahm at Bayern is a good example of the Captain being the reliable one. Buffon at Juve is another. Xavi at Barca (previously)