Holymoly

Next Chelsea Captain

208 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It's only in this country we are bothered by that. Lahm at Bayern is a good example of the Captain being the reliable one. Buffon at Juve is another. Xavi at Barca (previously)

He was saying too nice, not reliable. Azpi is incredibly reliable.

For the same reason I don't think Ferreira would have made a good captain despite being very reliable, I would give it to Fabregas. I know that there are goalkeeper captains, and full-back captains, but on a personal level I like my captains to be at centre-half or midfield. 

I think Fabregas would be perfect. 

Yeah, it's a harsh criticism and perhaps wrong anyway, I don't know him at all - I'm just judging from afar.

Lahm is someone who springs to mind as being similar (maybe just the full back thing) and sure it could work.

We could certainly do worse than Azpilicueta as he - at the very least - leads by example. 

Fabregas just strikes me as more vocal and more influential. 

1 minute ago, bluecueball said:

Fabregas just strikes me as more vocal and more influential. 

Positively and perhaps negatively?

Fabregas for me , he's a born leader, bolshy and appears not to take any ****.

Two options for me. 

Azpilicueta or Fabregas. No other viable candidate in the current squad. 

Ivanovic is a no-go. After 7 seasons here he still barely speaks a word of English and has the leadership charisma of a potato. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Ivanovic is a no-go. After 7 seasons here he still barely speaks a word of English and has the leadership charisma of a potato. 

Eva seemed to like him though...

For me, the person who wears the actual armband is almost irrelevant. It is the lack of leaders we have that is concerning I didn't see much leadership from anyone during the rut. Back in the day we had Cech, JT, Carvalho, Makelele, Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Drogba........all of whom would be prime candidates for captaincy if they were playing now 

Has to be Azpilicueta.  Fans love him, most consistent player we have.  He plays every game like it's his last he genuinely cares about the club 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

For me, the person who wears the actual armband is almost irrelevant. It is the lack of leaders we have that is concerning I didn't see much leadership from anyone during the rut. Back in the day we had Cech, JT, Carvalho, Makelele, Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Drogba........all of whom would be prime candidates for captaincy if they were playing now 

Ouch. It's certainly testament for how far we have let the squad decline. 

But then again, how do you replace such personalities? 

Maybe it's just me, or has the game become more and more bereft of personalities? I remember the 80's and 90's when you had players like Hagi, Stoichkov, Romario, Maradona, Gascoigne, Mattheus, Gullit and a whole string of other 'big' personalities. Today we seem to lack those to the same degree in world football. 

I don't think I will see a better Chelsea team in my lifetime than the one from 2004-2010.