Holymoly

Next Chelsea Captain

208 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Funny how things have changed between Chelsea fans and Fab4 over the past 10 years (Robben hasn't aged a day in that time!

Agree, he certainly had history with us (with Barca as well as Arsenal) but think he's really handled himself well since putting on the blue shirt.

To me, the captain has to be a leader by example. I would give it to Hazard, but I dont think he would be particularly keen on that role. Think the other options are Azpili and Luiz. 

Posted (edited)

The easiest option is to give it to Cahill. Good, professional attitude, English, experienced, has won it all, has captained Chelsea and England a few times so knows what it is all about. Rose to the occasion on pivotal moments during this season. But there are also a few things that count against him.

1) is he good enough to be a starter next season when we more likely than not will spend big on a new CB?

2) Cahill has two years left on his contract, and I cannot see him being a regular starter for more than those two years. Maximum. It is not a long term appointment, and it is not going to change anything in the team as it did when Ranieri made JT captain in a team with more experienced players around him. 

3) Just the fact that we are discussing whether the most experienced and decorated starter in the squad, 31 years old, English and with an impeccable attitude, is the best captain for us has to be seen as a worry. My impression of Cahill is that he lacks the confidence demanded by a leader. But when Terry leaves, there may be a new and more confident Cahill taking over. We will see.

It is an important decision of course, but it does not feel that important at the moment. Whether it is Azpi or Cahill (the two favourites), or the outsiders Luiz and Fabregas, we can't go wrong. Neither of them will ever replace Terry in any way, so it will always feel like a stop gap solution before one of the academy prospects like Chalobah or Baker takes over in 3-4 years (pipe dream). The good thing about this, is that Conte is the one making this decision. It is going to matter a lot for us fans. No better way than him to get it right in my opinion.

Edited by jones

Posted (edited)

I think its going to depend who comes in. If Cesc stays he wont start enough games to be captain but I do agree. like JT, he has handled himself impeccably without game time. Based on playing time, of the players we now have it has to e between Luiz (already has a lot to do) and Dave (maybe too quiet) although if Lukaku comes back he could be a big shout, he leads from the front, is a big man, vociferous, growing in self confidence and young

Edited by exiledblue

Cahill probably edges it in terms of being able to come up with some pivotal moments in a way that JT did. Although, as Jones mentioned he's probably not guaranteed to be a regular starter over the next 24 months. Fabregas has the pedigree and that competitive bite in him, however again he's not a shoe in anymore either. 

Luiz was always the one I wanted to replace Terry when he was here first time around. He's passionate on the pitch, he's now established himself as an important part of Conte's defence, while he's a really good relationship with the fans. He's also at that age where he's got another few years on the likes of Cahill and Fabregas. 

Azpi is the other main option but I don't feel like he's leader in a captains sense. Definitely would be a part of any leadership group however, just not the main man. 

Agree with that assessment, Zaffo. Azpi is interesting though. Some people change when given explicit responsibility, like Terry did. If Cahill, Luiz or Cesc is given it, I can't see that affecting their position in the squad. If Azpi is given it, I can see it changing him for the better. 

My favourite captain in the team at the moment would be Fabregas though. But his game time situation is what counts against him. He is fearless, direct and has that good bit of stubbornness in him. Says what he believes to be right, and is not afraid of making a statement. He has a true winning mentality and hates to lose. He has won it all. He is a leader in the squad even if he is not made captain. 

But I guess Conte will go for the easy option, and decide not to shake things up. We just won the league, and the squad is at a good place at the moment (assuming the Costa situation has not affected us). Cahill was a decent captain last season. Any way you see it, our next captain is likely to be a short term captain. At least compared to the captain, leader, legend we are used to.

Personally, I don't think it makes much difference who is captain unless you have an obvious General like Mr Terry. Cahill has done a reasonably good job of it and it has helped his game IMO. Out of the current crop of players, I would like to see sideshow get the arm band as I think it would raise his game and give him the resposibility that would, hopefully, raise his concentration levels up to the heights we all know he and we need.

On 15/06/2017 at 9:16 PM, jones said:

The easiest option is to give it to Cahill. Good, professional attitude, English, experienced, has won it all

I agree, although also unimaginative. No idea who the characters are that drive the dressing room although I don't see it being him. Accordingly I'd be quite happy to see Cesar take the armband.