• Current Donation Goals

Holymoly

Next Chelsea Captain

6 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Ouch. It's certainly testament for how far we have let the squad decline. . 

Just the opposite.  We are running on a handful of superstars instead of a big squad of ordinary players.  It ought to be a lot easier to find a captain.

On the basis of being most sure of their place it could be any of 9 or 10.

Rather I think we were spoilt by JT.  
Also the press this season has printed all kinds of nonsense, which means we the fans now have little idea of which players are natural leaders and which are rebels.  But I presume the club has a much clearer idea.

Based on performances and security of their place I guess the natural candidates would (as mentioned by various above) be Courtois, Azpi, Fabregas, Hazard, Willian and Costa.  But I'm not sure any is a natural captain.  At the start of the season some might have added Matic.  By the end some might add Mikel.

I can see Ivanovic and Cahill keeping the role.  One of them is going to be playing regularly next season, at least until a) we buy a mega CB to replace JT, AND b) Zouma returns to full fitness, AND c) Baba establishes himself as a starter.
So indeed it is quite likely both will be regulars next season (at least they have contracts, not many players do).

Holymoly   
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

For me, the person who wears the actual armband is almost irrelevant. It is the lack of leaders we have that is concerning I didn't see much leadership from anyone during the rut. Back in the day we had Cech, JT, Carvalho, Makelele, Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Drogba........all of whom would be prime candidates for captaincy if they were playing now 

So in other words the captain IS important as we don't have that underlying bedrock of mature leaders.

Holymoly   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I can see Ivanovic and Cahill keeping the role. 

Surely it depends upon who the next manager is? If it is someone from outwith the Premier League then I would guess they would have no compulsion in changing the captaincy away from the current bunch of deputies.

5 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Surely it depends upon who the next manager is? If it is someone from outwith the Premier League then I would guess they would have no compulsion in changing the captaincy away from the current bunch of deputies.

Not sure.  New man, new coaching staff, 4 or 5 new players (8 or 10 I hope).  He might well decide to leave an old hand as captain.

xCELERYx   

While I like Dave, I don't think he's a true leader or vocal enough. For that reason, Fabregas for me.

He knows the role having been captain at Arsenal at a young age, experienced, won't shy away from giving a player a good verbal if needed and has the ability to influence matches, which I think is important.

If we didn't sell David Luiz, he'd be my pick. Always thought he'd be next in line, as he bridged that age gap nicely and held that passion to win. Maybe that will be Zouma in a few years time.

Interesting that we're all decrying the lack of leaders (I'm not saying that's wrong, by the way), but looking at all the other teams and I wonder if any Premiership side has leaders any more? Kompany at City, when fit, is as close to a natural leader you'll find amongst the current generation. Rooney may wear the armband but I don't see him as a leader in the same mould as Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Carragher etc. We were incredibly lucky to have so many natural leaders in our squad at one time (how many other sides had as many?), so our current position regarding a lack of leaders makes things seem far worse than they are. We're no worse off than anyone else.

As for next season, I'd give it to Azpilicuetta... one of our most consistent players, a first choice unlikely to be displaced by any new signings we might make, a clean image that even the worst excesses of the media would find hard to tarnish and has been around long enough and won enough medals for new arrivals to look up to. Fabregas is a good choice too, but can be a bit too abrasive at times. Nothing wrong with a player sticking up for team-mates, but if Azpilicuetta complained to a ref (in his role as captain) he's less likely to rub them up the wrong way. Happy with either but with a preference for our full back.

Holymoly   
7 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Interesting that we're all decrying the lack of leaders (I'm not saying that's wrong, by the way), but looking at all the other teams and I wonder if any Premiership side has leaders any more? Kompany at City, when fit, is as close to a natural leader you'll find amongst the current generation. Rooney may wear the armband but I don't see him as a leader in the same mould as Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Carragher etc. We were incredibly lucky to have so many natural leaders in our squad at one time (how many other sides had as many?), so our current position regarding a lack of leaders makes things seem far worse than they are. We're no worse off than anyone else.

This was my point in the OP. Doesn't make it any less important that we choose wisely, especially given our present parlous state in the league and the neccessity of getting back into top 4 contention next season.

Funny isn't it? Nobody else has any leaders , we've got one and the club don't like it.

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Funny isn't it? Nobody else has any leaders , we've got one and the club don't like it.

I think one thing is pretty clear now. It's not the 'future manager' that doesn't want JT because we still don't seem to have a scooby doo  who that will be (and if we have we are doing a magnificent job keeping it quiet). This is the clubs decision which must make it harder for JT to take. The same as we are all struggling to find a natural candidate for the job, so will the club and next manager. They must think JTs grow on trees.  

Holymoly   
3 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I think one thing is pretty clear now. It's not the 'future manager' that doesn't want JT because we still don't seem to have a scooby doo  who that will be (and if we have we are doing a magnificent job keeping it quiet). This is the clubs decision which must make it harder for JT to take. The same as we are all struggling to find a natural candidate for the job, so will the club and next manager. They must think JTs grow on trees.  

Back in the day Terry had his cabal of followers who ran the squad. It is noticeable now how few of the players appear to be his chum and he seems to captain almost based on the fear factor. Prior to December it became apparent just how little sway he retains both with the club and the other players. All this together with his advancing years I think the board just see the writing on the wall. He will go down as a great but there comes a time when you need to know when to go and pass the baton to the next generation. His brand of captaincy doesn't seem to be required anymore in the game.