Holymoly

Next Chelsea Captain

208 posts in this topic

His brand of captaincy?

What? Leading by example and being the best in the league in that position?

I can see why we'd want to move away from that.

So what happened in the first half of the season then?

On 22/02/2016 at 3:31 PM, Sleeping Dave said:

Ivanovic is a no-go. After 7 seasons here he still barely speaks a word of English and has the leadership charisma of a potato. 

I know you don't rate Ivanovic but this is bizarre even by your own acerbic standards. Heard him speak perfectly good English plenty of times.

2 hours ago, Holymoly said:

So what happened in the first half of the season then?

You're right, let's discard him like a used tissue.

They'll be flocking to us to sign up.

I would prefer an outfield player. Preferably a defender. One who is going to organise the defence. They should be able to communicate with the other players (good English) and be able to represent the players and the club in interviews. I have no problem with Brana. He is defender, his English is pretty good, he comes over well at interviews. However, I am not sure he is demonstrative enough and I have a suspicion that he may not be a regular starter next season but become a useful squad player in his last season. I think it's too early for Zouma, though I could see him as the "next" captain. Personally, I think Azpi might be a good shout. He always plays, has a really good tactical nous, interviews well and seems popular in the squad. If it had to be an outfield player, I would go with Fabregas. I can see him developing into a -type player in a Conte team.

On 22 February 2016 at 5:39 PM, cam4blue said:

It will be Fabregas IMO. 

Not thrilled about that though.

I liked the fact that he dug out Hazard I. the post match interview regarding taking the penalty and wanting "more" goals. 

Yes he is ex Arse but unless any of the rumours are true can't see an alternative tbh.

7 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Back in the day Terry had his cabal of followers who ran the squad. It is noticeable now how few of the players appear to be his chum and he seems to captain almost based on the fear factor. Prior to December it became apparent just how little sway he retains both with the club and the other players. All this together with his advancing years I think the board just see the writing on the wall. He will go down as a great but there comes a time when you need to know when to go and pass the baton to the next generation. His brand of captaincy doesn't seem to be required anymore in the game.

Sorry I don't actually agree with a word of that.

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Sorry I don't actually agree with a word of that.

Likewise. Put Terry in any rival's back line and he'd lead the way like any great captain does and those sides would benefit. 

10 hours ago, Patnevinswedge said:

I liked the fact that he dug out Hazard I. the post match interview regarding taking the penalty and wanting "more" goals. 

TBH I don't think a potential captain should be doing things like that in front of the media. At the very least it is impolitic. 

But that's just me.

20 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I think one thing is pretty clear now. It's not the 'future manager' that doesn't want JT because we still don't seem to have a scooby doo  who that will be (and if we have we are doing a magnificent job keeping it quiet). This is the clubs decision which must make it harder for JT to take. The same as we are all struggling to find a natural candidate for the job, so will the club and next manager. They must think JTs grow on trees.  

They've been trying to push him out for years. His dip to start the year has just given them the excuse.