• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

The European Super League

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

It is entertainment - popularity IS quality.  Everyone knows that.  You too.

The Italian league has never been ahead of the PL.  The top 4 on occasion may have been.  The top 2 quite often.  The bottom 10 just don't compare.

Not just Leicester.  Any of the top 15 in the Prem would be challenging for 3rd or 4th in Spain or Italy, and 2nd or third in Germany of France.

Forget Europa league performances - it is a noddy league.  Forget even CL performances - PSG, Bayern, RM, Barca and English clubs are the only teams worth watching,

One Direction may have been "popular", but you could hardly say they show any musical "quality"!!! 

You claim the Premier League is popular, but in some countries its popularity is simply down to no other leagues being televised either cheaply or for free. Even if it is popular, I'm not sure how you can claim that popularity equates to quality. As I have aged, I've come to the conclusion the more popular something is, the less likely it is to show any form of quality. If anything, popularity panders to the lowest common denominator, not the highest! The Premier League may indeed be a more "exciting" league to watch based on the ability of smaller clubs to provide upsets, but does that genuinely mean it is of better quality? For me, the answer is an emphatic "no".

^Clearly a musical snob  :)

If it sells it is good.
If it doesn't, it ain't.

But it isn't really the point.  If PL clubs have more money than Euro clubs, what ever Dave says about who buys the best players now, pretty soon all the good players are going to be at the clubs with most money, and 20 out of 30 of those are English.

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

^Clearly a musical snob  :)

If it sells it is good.
If it doesn't, it ain't.

But it isn't really the point.  If PL clubs have more money than Euro clubs, what ever Dave says about who buys the best players now, pretty soon all the good players are going to be at the clubs with most money, and 20 out of 30 of those are English.

If that were true, why do some of the best talents see the Premiership as merely a stepping stone to playing for Barca or Real? When the Premiership sees a 25 year Ronaldo leave Madrid for United, and not the other way around, or a 25 year old Messi leave Barca for an English club, then I might start to agree with you. For now, no matter how much money we (as in English clubs) throw at players, some will not come here because they see even our very best clubs as a step down from Barca, Real etc.

This is Dave's confusion.

That Barca or RM might be richer even than Man U or City does not make the Spanish league comparable.  Indeed it is just a reminder of how almost all the TV money goes to 2 clubs, irrespective of where they finish and nobody is prepared to pay much to watch any other Spanish club whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

It is entertainment - popularity IS quality.  Everyone knows that.  You too.

The Italian league has never been ahead of the PL.  The top 4 on occasion may have been.  The top 2 quite often.  The bottom 10 just don't compare.

Not just Leicester.  Any of the top 15 in the Prem would be challenging for 3rd or 4th in Spain or Italy, and 2nd or third in Germany of France.

Forget Europa league performances - it is a noddy league.  Forget even CL performances - PSG, Bayern, RM, Barca and English clubs are the only teams worth watching,

Serie A has never been better than the PL? 

Thats a ridiculous claim with absolutely no basis in real life. Go back to watching tables instead of football. 

44 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

This is Dave's confusion.

That Barca or RM might be richer even than Man U or City does not make the Spanish league comparable.  Indeed it is just a reminder of how almost all the TV money goes to 2 clubs, irrespective of where they finish and nobody is prepared to pay much to watch any other Spanish club whatsoever.

I'm not even the slightest confused on who has the most money. It is you who wrongly think that means the PL is the best only based on the Deloitte Football Money League. 

I see that money table, look beyond the top line revenue and base my judgement on what I can see these teams produce. You have openly admitted to have no clue about any other league so excuse me for not taking you seriously. You have zero basis for your claim. You have one argument which I have rubbished more than a year ago. Too squared to see it though. 

Carry on.