Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

1,591 posts in this topic

^^^

Yes, wonderful news. Looks like an extension to 2021, by most reports. I know things change quickly but hopefully that settles any talk of outside interest. 

On 3/4/2017 at 5:58 PM, Ham said:

Very true and that might explain TSO still living like Alan Partridge in a Travelodge.  

It's a Travel Tavern.

7 minutes ago, bluecueball said:

It's a Travel Tavern.

i5dx06.jpg

1 person likes this

Just thinking about it, a new contract slightly the kiss of death, potentially? Sigh. Conte could be given a 20 year deal and that doesn't mean he won't be sacked next season. Plus despite what the media is churning out, I don't think he's wanting to leave the football club just yet so not exactly a need to panic RE a new contract. I'm assuming he has two seasons left anyway?

4 hours ago, Sir said:

Just thinking about it, a new contract slightly the kiss of death, potentially? Sigh. Conte could be given a 20 year deal and that doesn't mean he won't be sacked next season. Plus despite what the media is churning out, I don't think he's wanting to leave the football club just yet so not exactly a need to panic RE a new contract. I'm assuming he has two seasons left anyway?

I imagine it's less a "quick... someone else wants him" type of reaction and more a pay rise for doing a better than anticipated job this season. He was given a 3 year contract (until summer 2019) and from what the papers are saying it's a 2 year extension until summer 2021.

There was an interview recently (certainly the Guardian carried it, though it seemed more like a sit-down with several written-press journalists than an exclusive one-to-one) where he said he's enjoying living and working in a new country and that he should have left Italy years ago... on that basis I doubt he's thinking of returning there after just one season.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Sir said:

Just thinking about it, a new contract slightly the kiss of death, potentially? Sigh. Conte could be given a 20 year deal and that doesn't mean he won't be sacked next season. 

Why?

Edit - one assumes the new contract is reward for a great season, not something to be turned into a negative 

Edited by paulw66

5 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I imagine it's less a "quick... someone else wants him" type of reaction and more a pay rise for doing a better than anticipated job this season. He was given a 3 year contract (until summer 2019) and from what the papers are saying it's a 2 year extension until summer 2021.

There was an interview recently (certainly the Guardian carried it, though it seemed more like a sit-down with several written-press journalists than an exclusive one-to-one) where he said he's enjoying living and working in a new country and that he should have left Italy years ago... on that basis I doubt he's thinking of returning there after just one season.

From what I understand I believe Conte has no interest to return to Italy, period. Even if he leaves Chelsea, his intent is to manage in another country. As a player he only played in Italy, so now as a coach this is his chance to test himself outside of Italy, where he's been both a successful player and coach. 

I see him as ambitious and as he has spoken positively about the prem and its competitive merits I dont see him leaving soon and certainly not for Italy. Having done Juve and being a Juve man, having done Italy he is hardly likely to return for a Milan team.

Here's a semi-serious question - if we win the Double and then finish 2nd next year do you think AC will go the same way as Carlo? 🙈

No, but I can see a change coinciding with the new stadium. Fresh image, that sort of thing. But by then we'll have had 5 years of Conte, so plenty time for him to prove himself.