Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

1,591 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, chara said:

The squad is still small. To date with less pressure from midweek games injuries have been minimal and a small number of players have played most games with the early cup rounds providing rest for regulars and experience and playing time for fringe/young players.

The number of unsuitable players has been cut back (dead wood really) and Ivan Mikel and Oscar have moved on.

Conte has done better with an even smaller squad ( that also means with youngsters in the group) than Jose.

Conte lucky re game and injury details?

Always mindful of the old adage re luck..the harder you work at it the luckier you are>

They key difference this year is the lack of European football. One game a week for almost the entire season.

Our forward line is desperately thin (thinner than last season) but Costa, Hazard, Pedro, Willian haven't had a serious injury between them and have had most midweeks off. Michy has barely played a game despite being only of two strikers available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, paulw66 said:

They key difference this year is the lack of European football. One game a week for almost the entire season.

Our forward line is desperately thin (thinner than last season) but Costa, Hazard, Pedro, Willian haven't had a serious injury between them and have had most midweeks off. Michy has barely played a game despite being only of two strikers available. 

Less games is certainly a bonus, regardless of squad size - which is smaller this season than last. A good run with injuries has also been a real blessing and helping hand, but maybe some of that needs to be credited with Conte and his pre-season program and dietary guidelines, along with the good work of Paolo Bertelli and co as fitness coaches who've come to the club. 

For me the main reason has been the fact we're playing as a cohesive team once again. There's defined roles of players and they know their jobs, the system and what's expected. We didn't have much of that last year at all from the very beginning. Then when we've had some off-field drama, Costa's situation for example, it's been handled in a vastly more professional manner where it hasn't disrupted the team's momentum. For all of that, Conte deserves a lot of the credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I think this season Conte has proven what he can do with limited resources, I think between now and summer he will say to RA we have done well yet if you want us to challenge in the CL we need more personnel and quality personnel.

if these conversations do not go well I think he might leave.

 

Edited by Jasonb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the press got a rumour that there would be a contract signed, and then a rumour it hasn't been signed.  And everything else has been made up by the press.  Budgets and management control are highly sensitive topics and don't get leaked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think the press got a rumour that there would be a contract signed, and then a rumour it hasn't been signed.  And everything else has been made up by the press.  Budgets and management control are highly sensitive topics and don't get leaked.

Telling everyone you have £200 million to spend certainly doesn't sound like a smart negotiation technique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many Italians are telling me he is coming to Inter but then the Italian fans in general haven't got used to the idea their league just doesnt have the same kudos as it did 20 years ago. Top managers want to prove themselves with the big boys. The only job he may come back for would be Juve, thats in his blood and Inter would be going to work with the devil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, samhoward17 said:

Telling everyone you have £200 million to spend certainly doesn't sound like a smart negotiation technique.

Agree Sam and let's not forget even if you have the money we know from experience top European clubs will not sell to Chelsea as they see as competitors in the CL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2017 at 1:38 PM, exiledblue said:

Many Italians are telling me he is coming to Inter but then the Italian fans in general haven't got used to the idea their league just doesnt have the same kudos as it did 20 years ago. Top managers want to prove themselves with the big boys. The only job he may come back for would be Juve, thats in his blood and Inter would be going to work with the devil.

And I meant to say that Allegri will almost certainly move from Juve this season, so that may come available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Agree Sam and let's not forget even if you have the money we know from experience top European clubs will not sell to Chelsea as they see as competitors in the CL.

Well, they have.........and this is only recent past

David Luiz 

Felipe Luis

Diego Costa

Pedro 

Fabregas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Well, they have.........and this is only recent past

David Luiz 

Felipe Luis

Diego Costa

Pedro 

Fabregas

Was thinking much the same.  Ozil, Sanchez, Di Maria to other English rivals too.

One might argue they won't sell their top 4 or 5 players, but that is simply because they want those ones too much.

In the end there are 4 big European clubs + Man U with money to spend.  Then there is Althetico Madrid and Monaco so long as they are still on a roll, plus 8 to 10 English clubs.
If you want to sell a player that demands 100k a week, that (or China) is the whole list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now