• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

Right now it very much feels like something special is being built, much like the first time Jose was here.

We have a very , very good starting 11 and some good options on the bench. One or two genuine first team players and one or two good, solid squad players and we are more or less set. 

We have arguably the most promising manager in the world right now, a man that has won 4 consecutive league titles and is clearly hungry for more success. He will want a serious crack at the champions league and look to build upon this year's success.

The foundation is there, there is not a stand out team in Europe at the moment, Bayer, Madrid and Barcelona are not what they were. With this man in charge and with the backing he needs and thoroughly deserves we have a chance of becoming Europe's elite once more. 

The club must realise they have made mistakes in the past, they must realise we have a very special man in charge and a very good team, they must realise that one big push this summer could see us genuinely become Europe's best once again.

We are close but we have been here before, we could fail to get the players Conte wants this summer have a bad start next season and sack him by Christmas.  It's possible, it's probably even probable. It can't be allowed to happen.

The players, the fans, the manager deserve to be backed and if Roman does back us we could once again be kings of Europe.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Right now it very much feels like something special is being built, much like the first time Jose was here.

We have a very , very good starting 11 and some good options on the bench. One or two genuine first team players and one or two good, solid squad players and we are more or less set. 

We have arguably the most promising manager in the world right now, a man that has won 4 consecutive league titles and is clearly hungry for more success. He will want a serious crack at the champions league and look to build upon this year's success.

The foundation is there, there is not a stand out team in Europe at the moment, Bayer, Madrid and Barcelona are not what they were. With this man in charge and with the backing he needs and thoroughly deserves we have a chance of becoming Europe's elite once more. 

The club must realise they have made mistakes in the past, they must realise we have a very special man in charge and a very good team, they must realise that one big push this summer could see us genuinely become Europe's best once again.

We are close but we have been here before, we could fail to get the players Conte wants this summer have a bad start next season and sack him by Christmas.  It's possible, it's probably even probable. It can't be allowed to happen.

The players, the fans, the manager deserve to be backed and if Roman does back us we could once again be kings of Europe.

Absolutely. It's both very scary and exciting at the same time. Surely we can't make the same mistake four times?!? I simply refuse to believe we can be that daft. 

This time Roman surely has to get it right? If not, it's time for him to go. Then he becomes what's holding us back instead of being what drives us forward. One step forward and two steps back can only be a viable strategy for so long. 

47 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Absolutely. It's both very scary and exciting at the same time. Surely we can't make the same mistake four times?!? I simply refuse to believe we can be that daft. 

This time Roman surely has to get it right? If not, it's time for him to go. Then he becomes what's holding us back instead of being what drives us forward. One step forward and two steps back can only be a viable strategy for so long. 

History suggests we can be that daft, I'd like to think we have learnt from previous mistakes, especially when it appears we really didn't want to sack Jose last season but would anyone be that surprised if we sacked Conte if we are not challenging at Christmas next season?

Our net spend in the last few seasons has been very small in comparison to our success.  Now you could argue it's a good business model and the club may look to continue this but any player we have left that is worth any sort of decent fee we should not be looking to sell.

With the massive tv money, the extra champions league money next season, the Oscar money still unspent I don't think it's unreasonable to think we could/should be spending £150+ this summer. United will, City will and if we don't we will get left behind. Again.

If Conte is allowed to spend that sort of money on who he wants then I think we will be very, very close to challenging in Europe once again. It could also persuade Hazard to stay and possibly Costa.

It's a massive summer for this club, I think we will learn a lot in terms of which direction Roman wants us to go. Do we want to compete with the best in Europe once again or do we want to continue to try and be a successful business model while everyone else throws stupid amounts of money at players and then continue to replace successful managers after failing to back them?

We have done well this far with our current model but we had a lot of luck at the same time, one big push from Roman and we really will be able to go toe to toe with anyone. 

17 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

History suggests we can be that daft, I'd like to think we have learnt from previous mistakes, especially when it appears we really didn't want to sack Jose last season but would anyone be that surprised if we sacked Conte if we are not challenging at Christmas next season?

Our net spend in the last few seasons has been very small in comparison to our success.  Now you could argue it's a good business model and the club may look to continue this but any player we have left that is worth any sort of decent fee we should not be looking to sell.

With the massive tv money, the extra champions league money next season, the Oscar money still unspent I don't think it's unreasonable to think we could/should be spending £150+ this summer. United will, City will and if we don't we will get left behind. Again.

If Conte is allowed to spend that sort of money on who he wants then I think we will be very, very close to challenging in Europe once again. It could also persuade Hazard to stay and possibly Costa.

It's a massive summer for this club, I think we will learn a lot in terms of which direction Roman wants us to go. Do we want to compete with the best in Europe once again or do we want to continue to try and be a successful business model while everyone else throws stupid amounts of money at players and then continue to replace successful managers after failing to back them?

We have done well this far with our current model but we had a lot of luck at the same time, one big push from Roman and we really will be able to go toe to toe with anyone. 

Very hard to disagree with any of this! 

I hope we will take the plunge and invest in real talent this summer to ensure we go into 2017-18 with a strong SQUAD to challenge both in Europe and at home. 

Mad you rightly point out, many of the teams who have been at the top of the European game is showing signs of going downhill. We've got a real opportunity here and we can't allow ourselves to let it slip (again).

The 2010 and 2016 debacles probably being the worst crimes of them all. In 2007 I can forgive the club because Jose made it look so easy and we had invested heavily for a number of years. But this time there will be no excuses whatsoever. 

jones   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

This. Also, Conte has so far proven to be very clever and efficient in the transfer market. Kanté was probably a no-brainer, but he made him an even better player. Alonso and Luiz were not even his first choices, but in an inflated market proved to be bargains. Michy, the fourth signing, was always looking like an Emenalo buy. Conte should get a budget of around 200mp to spend, and as you say, that is both what we need to strengthen properly and what we need to make sure Hazard, Costa etc remain content.

My money is on Roman actually digging deep this window. He is a business man, and he should know when to spend and when to hold his money. Now is the time to back the manager full time.

16 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Most likely because you are busy writing rubbish and not reading other posters posts properly. Or maybe because you automatically think that I can't like Jose and Conte at the same time? It's not love you know, you are allowed to hold two thoughts in your mind at the same time. 

I have been very positive and complimentary of Conte all season. 

All fair comment.

kev61   
15 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Martin we were 'never that daft'.Mourhino was sacked at the right time in all instances.We are now seeing lesser teams sacking managers at the drop of the hat.Do you really think Abramovich doesn't see the difference between a manager that doesn't make sense anymore,and a manager that other managers are copying?

Expect a heavy investment by Abramovich next season(it makes sense!)and then watch Mourhino's demise.

kev61   

Dave you've been  complimentary about Conte because you've had to.How do you and your partner in crime(droy) compare Conte's and Mourhino's  achievements?

47 minutes ago, kev61 said:

.How do you and your partner in crime(droy) compare Conte's and Mourhino's  achievements?

Mate, I'm a Conte fan, but I'm not sure where you're intending to go with this, because the obvious answer is that there is no comparison, yet. Mourinho, with 3 PL titles, 1 FA Cup, and 3 League Cups, is way in front. As a matter of fact, what Conte has achieved so far, isn't even as much as  Ancelotii did in his first season (PL + FA Cup) - it may end up being just that, but not yet!  Robbie Di Matteo won the FA Cup and Champions League in a season (did bugger-all in the PL, of course).

kev61   

OK Michael I will put forward my difference.Conte is the only manager that has moulded a team to win things.Tell me any other manager that has achieved that in our history since Abramovich took charge?