• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

paulw66   

I love Conte, but I am not comfortable about the rewriting of history and what Jose did for us, first AND second time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zaffo said:

How was sacking JM second time around daft exactly? We were hovering just above the relegation zone at the time and needed a change We now have Conte, the whole atmosphere around the club has drastically changed and we've won a title. While JM over in Manchester has spend significantly, performed no better than LvG, while creating the standard Mourinho drama that follows him. 

I know which one of those two I prefer....

(Agree that sacking JM first time around was daft, as was Carlo)

It was daft because we sacked our greatest ever manager and an absolute legend of the club one year after winning the league and failing him massively in the transfer market that summer.

We were never in danger of getting relegated, no matter where we were in the table. Hiddink came in and we were still rubbish so maybe it wasn't all Jose's fault? Personally I would have backed the manager, let him got rid of whoever he wanted in the summer and allowed him to start again. He deserved that.

I love Conte and have enjoyed this season massively but that doesn't change my opinion that we should never have sacked Jose last year.

Edited by Martin1905

Sea foot   
22 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I love Conte, but I am not comfortable about the rewriting of history and what Jose did for us, first AND second time. 

Agree. It's everyone's right to love the guy or loath him but no one can deny what he did whilst here. When he came first time around everyone loved his pointing out the iniquities of the FA old boys network. He did it with humour and intelligence and got some support across the board. Unfortunately, he should have changed tack when the tide started to turn against him (and us) but, for whatever reason (personal family problem?) he seemed to just rant at all and sundry. He is still a great manager but, it seems to me, his personal demons have control of him at the moment. If he can get his "happiness" back he will again be up with the very very best. 

As Paul said, it is a lot of rewriting of history to score internet warrior points for some people. 

Loved him while he was ours, not bothered about him now he's elsewhere. I am loving Conte and what he's done so far and if he carries on next season and more then he will easily become my all time favourite.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Yes this exactly. 

I find it absolutely disgraceful how some members are trying to rewrite history. Dislike him for whatever reason, but have some loyalty and appreciation for what he did for us and don't try to belittle it. It only makes you look incredibly small and foolish. 

Only a few days ago someone jumped at the chance to discredit JM's first stint here (by coming up with an absurd hypothesis based on a misunderstanding/deliberate twist of words of one of my comments regarding Spurs) instead of celebrating that we just won the title under Conte. Absurd behaviour!!!

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

For me the single season that turned the club around most was the 13/14 season.  We may have stayed in 3rd place and gone from 75 points to 82.  But we became contenders again after several years of being an also ran.  And we became the new team, and no longer the dogend of the JM mk I team.

The manager and the directors (who had brought in a lot of good players) share the credit for that.

Edited by Droy was my hero

10 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Yes this exactly. 

I find it absolutely disgraceful how some members are trying to rewrite history. Dislike him for whatever reason, but have some loyalty and appreciation for what he did for us and don't try to belittle it. It only makes you look incredibly small and foolish. 

Only a few days ago someone jumped at the chance to discredit JM's first stint here (by coming up with an absurd hypothesis based on a misunderstanding/deliberate twist of words of one of my comments regarding Spurs) instead of celebrating that we just won the title under Conte. Absurd behaviour!!!

Most fans that attend games on a regular basis didn't want Jose sacked last year. Most fans of this club in general are incredibly loyal and when we see someone as 'one of our own' we back them 100%. It's what makes us as fans some of the best in the country, whatever the media and opposition fans try to claim, it's the tiny minority that give the haters all the ammunition they need.

6 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Most fans that attend games on a regular basis didn't want Jose sacked last year. Most fans of this club in general are incredibly loyal and when we see someone as 'one of our own' we back them 100%. It's what makes us as fans some of the best in the country, whatever the media and opposition fans try to claim, it's the tiny minority that give the haters all the ammunition they need.

Absolutely true.

However there is a small fly in the ointment in as much as when we see someone as "one of our own" and they only ever wear the United crest when they play us for the sole reason of making a song and dance about thumping it in front of their new support then memories can be clouded somewhat , it can get your back up a bit.

That can turn the tide , and to some degree It did with me , I still think he's a brilliant man , I still thank him wholeheartedly for what he achieved for "us" and I still think the board didn't really do their very best all the time to give him what he wanted to make it succeed in the way he wanted it to and I still think he's not a well man and is suffering under the stress of being a top manager.

But I do think he can be a bit of a dick and I also think there are a few on here such as Rod and Hugh who have always thought that and have stuck to their guns as is their want and right .

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Absolutely true.

However there is a small fly in the ointment in as much as when we see someone as "one of our own" and they only ever wear the United crest when they play us for the sole reason of making a song and dance about thumping it in front of their new support then memories can be clouded somewhat , it can get your back up a bit.

That can turn the tide , and to some degree It did with me , I still think he's a brilliant man , I still thank him wholeheartedly for what he achieved for "us" and I still think the board didn't really do their very best all the time to give him what he wanted to make it succeed in the way he wanted it to and I still think he's not a well man and is suffering under the stress of being a top manager.

But I do think he can be a bit of a dick and I also think there are a few on here such as Rod and Hugh who have always thought that and have stuck to their guns as is their want and right .

I agree 100%, he is no longer our manager and I can see why some want to put the boot in to him now he's there but we can not and should not ever forget what he achieved here. Without him we wouldn't be the club we are today but some don't seem to want to see this and want to re-write history to suit their own agenda. 

Give him stick by all means for what he does there, I can even see why some would dislike him now we are seeing him from the other side but never, ever forget what he done for this football club ( not aimed at you by the way).

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

It was daft because we sacked our greatest ever manager and an absolute legend of the club one year after winning the league and failing him massively in the transfer market that summer.

We were never in danger of getting relegated, no matter where we were in the table. Hiddink came in and we were still rubbish so maybe it wasn't all Jose's fault? Personally I would have backed the manager, let him got rid of whoever he wanted in the summer and allowed him to start again. He deserved that.

I love Conte and have enjoyed this season massively but that doesn't change my opinion that we should never have sacked Jose last year.

History only buys someone so much time, be it Jose or any one else. We all know Roman and co don't stand around when it comes to making a decision on a manager who isn't hitting the expectations desired. With that in mind, Jose, second time around, was certainly afforded more slack and time than any other manager had done in the past. However, it gets to the point where it was quite clear the situation was no longer recoverable under the current management. Not only were the results lacking, the performances weren't looking like improving either, and the environment Mourinho was creating begun to drag the club down. Now, some blame is definitely on the players for the performances. But it was more to it than just that. We certainly could have kept JM and seen what happened for the rest of the season but the toxic environment was never going to allow for that. For me, that's where the decision was sealed. The excess baggage was simply salt being rubbed into the wounds of a poor season overall.

Hiddink's appointment helped clear the environment of that toxicity, something a few players spoke of later on. Hiddink's job was simply to steady the ship, both on the pitch and behind the scenes. He did just that. Conte's now come in and stamped his own mark on the club in a positive manner. It's been a huge breath of fresh air going through a season with little controversy being stirred, while the performances haven't been all too bad either. 

Everyone's got an opinion on the matter and will do for many years to come. I don't care for turning this into another Jose vs Conte, or for and against Jose being sacked discussion. For me, I think the decision has been justified with the way we've turned the corner as a club under Conte and there's a genuine excitement now about our future, something that hasn't been seen since early in Jose's first stint. Either way, it is what is is. Onwards and upwards. 

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Rewrite or add to our history?

Jose was a hero whilst with us but he has gone now I wasnt Conte to win everything 10 times over and when he has gone also his successor. Why is Contes success belittling anything done before?