• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

paulw66   
45 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Rewrite or add to our history?

Jose was a hero whilst with us but he has gone now I wasnt Conte to win everything 10 times over and when he has gone also his successor. Why is Contes success belittling anything done before?

It isn't. You're missing the point. A lot of posters on here are now belittling what Jose did. I disagree with them entirely. 

Ham   

For the record I thoroughly respect Jose for everything he did here in his first spell and in the first year of his second spell. I used to love everything about the man but now I have very little time for him...... As a man. 

Without doubt our most impressive title win, when you consider the fact Conte only arrived after the Euros and was new to the country, therefore had a distinct disadvantage over everyone else. Plus the fact we were so poor last season, thanks to rank bad management and morale was low and many players wanted out. Then you have the fact Conte only spent about £25m net and didn't get many of his transfer targets. The fact Jose rejected Moses for 3 full seasons and Conte brought him straight in and worked wonders with him and Alonso. What he's done with Luiz is impressive. The fact he got the likes of Courtois, Cahill, Matic, Hazard and Costa to return to form, and got performances out of Pedro, which was more than Jose could do. The fact he won the title with 13 men, no red cards, and the fact he's handled himself with so much humility and class. What a season.

Then you look at how he's handled the Terry situation. The fact he relegated last season's POTY largely to the bench, alongside Fabregas, both of which have proved the correct decision. Then there's the fact he got rid of Mikel, Oscar and (a sadly past it) Ivanovic, which proves he knows a dud when he sees one.

Brand new season, no-one's won the Prem with 3 at the back before. Now everybody's copying Conte. New look defence, new look midfield, and a new look attack if you consider Willian was largely preferred to Pedro last season. That is quick work Antonio.

Looking forward to the cup final, the team almost picks itself. Some players dropped off a bit during the season to differing degrees, the likes of Moses, Luiz, Matic, Costa and Pedro but everyone's back on form. Matic particularly has been immense since he scored that incredible goal at Wembley. Fabregas will come on as a sub at Wembley, alongside Willian and hopefully Terry if the result's in the bag. Fabregas has been very effective, particularly towards the business end of the season, thanks to Conte's smart management.

Conte has shown he can deal with pressure. There was pressure in January when we lost to Tottenham and then the story about Costa blew up, but we went on a long unbeaten streak. There was pressure when we lost to Palace (undeservedly) and Utd but we then went and beat Spurs at Wembley, breaking their long winning streak and administering a huge psychological blow. There was pressure to win at Goodison otherwise our lead would have been down to a solitary point by the end of the day. 

He's dealt with everything that's come at him. Pathetic mind games by other managers. Dealt with the Costa situation expertly. Not just that, Costa's on-field behaviour has markedly improved. No bans this year which is a miracle. When the players had a virus at Old Trafford, Conte didn't use that as an excuse, in fact he blamed himself for the defeat, as opposed to our previous manager who tended to blame the ref, or the media, or Chelsea fans or the Chelsea doctor. Conte's man-management has been exemplary. What a breath of fresh air. Good football, more goals than every other team, impeccable behaviour by our players on the pitch, despite the fact other teams try to kick us into oblivion. No dissent or anything. Compare and contrast this with what we had before.

Hopefully we'll break our own record for number of wins in a single season. Remember, the Prem is far more competitive than it ever was, with all these big-name managers and so much more money spread around, as opposed to when Roman first came in and we could blow everyone away financially.

Lastly, a word for Oriol Romeu, tremendous season at Southampton. Judging by the rumours, the big boys are circling. Let's see if they can keep hold of him. So glad he's recovered from his horrendous injury. We should all wish him well.

EDIT: Roll on Sunday. It will be emotional. Most of us have recognised what an incredible job this guy was doing. Obviously you're always going to get the odd cranky Polish accountant. Well done Chelsea. Been a long time since we had this kind of good feeling around the club.

Edited by Mr Marvellous

1 hour ago, Mr Marvellous said:

Without doubt our most impressive title win, when you consider the fact Conte only arrived after the Euros and was new to the country,

Be fair - I think Conte contributed too.

Lastly, a word for Oriol Romeu, tremendous season at Southampton. Judging by the rumours, the big boys are circling. Let's see if they can keep hold of him. So glad he's recovered from his horrendous injury. We should all wish him well.

Indeed - the Sun says he could be returning to Barcelona - that would be incredible news.

Been a long time since we had this kind of good feeling around the club.

Yeah - about 20 months.

43 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yeah - about 20 months.

I know your butt is hurting after being wrong about everything but there is a far bigger feelgood factor this time around, though that may not come across on your internet stream. Get some ointment for your butt and maybe you can feel happy too.

Edited by Mr Marvellous

kev61   
18 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Wrong again (an annoying habit with you it seems). 

Complementary and positive about Conte before a ball was kicked. Refused to be critical after our indifferent start. 

You really have no clue. 

And this from a person who said spurs were the best team in the league!

kev61   
5 hours ago, Mr Marvellous said:

Without doubt our most impressive title win, when you consider the fact Conte only arrived after the Euros and was new to the country, therefore had a distinct disadvantage over everyone else. Plus the fact we were so poor last season, thanks to rank bad management and morale was low and many players wanted out. Then you have the fact Conte only spent about £25m net and didn't get many of his transfer targets. The fact Jose rejected Moses for 3 full seasons and Conte brought him straight in and worked wonders with him and Alonso. What he's done with Luiz is impressive. The fact he got the likes of Courtois, Cahill, Matic, Hazard and Costa to return to form, and got performances out of Pedro, which was more than Jose could do. The fact he won the title with 13 men, no red cards, and the fact he's handled himself with so much humility and class. What a season.

Then you look at how he's handled the Terry situation. The fact he relegated last season's POTY largely to the bench, alongside Fabregas, both of which have proved the correct decision. Then there's the fact he got rid of Mikel, Oscar and (a sadly past it) Ivanovic, which proves he knows a dud when he sees one.

Brand new season, no-one's won the Prem with 3 at the back before. Now everybody's copying Conte. New look defence, new look midfield, and a new look attack if you consider Willian was largely preferred to Pedro last season. That is quick work Antonio.

Looking forward to the cup final, the team almost picks itself. Some players dropped off a bit during the season to differing degrees, the likes of Moses, Luiz, Matic, Costa and Pedro but everyone's back on form. Matic particularly has been immense since he scored that incredible goal at Wembley. Fabregas will come on as a sub at Wembley, alongside Willian and hopefully Terry if the result's in the bag. Fabregas has been very effective, particularly towards the business end of the season, thanks to Conte's smart management.

Conte has shown he can deal with pressure. There was pressure in January when we lost to Tottenham and then the story about Costa blew up, but we went on a long unbeaten streak. There was pressure when we lost to Palace (undeservedly) and Utd but we then went and beat Spurs at Wembley, breaking their long winning streak and administering a huge psychological blow. There was pressure to win at Goodison otherwise our lead would have been down to a solitary point by the end of the day. 

He's dealt with everything that's come at him. Pathetic mind games by other managers. Dealt with the Costa situation expertly. Not just that, Costa's on-field behaviour has markedly improved. No bans this year which is a miracle. When the players had a virus at Old Trafford, Conte didn't use that as an excuse, in fact he blamed himself for the defeat, as opposed to our previous manager who tended to blame the ref, or the media, or Chelsea fans or the Chelsea doctor. Conte's man-management has been exemplary. What a breath of fresh air. Good football, more goals than every other team, impeccable behaviour by our players on the pitch, despite the fact other teams try to kick us into oblivion. No dissent or anything. Compare and contrast this with what we had before.

Hopefully we'll break our own record for number of wins in a single season. Remember, the Prem is far more competitive than it ever was, with all these big-name managers and so much more money spread around, as opposed to when Roman first came in and we could blow everyone away financially.

EDIT: Roll on Sunday. It will be emotional. Most of us have recognised what an incredible job this guy was doing. Obviously you're always going to get the odd cranky Polish accountant. Well done Chelsea. Been a long time since we had this kind of good feeling around the club.

All I wanted to say.People will think I disliked Mourhino from the start.I never liked his style of football for sure - but to say I always had it in for him is nonsense.I remember John Hollins in the mid 80's being clueless but I never disliked him because his heart was with Chelsea.

I could see the Narcissism in Mourhino at an early stage.When a manager thinks he is bigger than the club and the players he is doomed.Look at utd now, 6th is not acceptable with the money spent and if they don't win the Europa league he is on the slippery slope.It comes down to,would you give a manager a fortune to advance the club that is treading water,and looks less than in control,and that's why Roman and his advisors rightly sacked him on both occasions.

Edited by kev61

46 minutes ago, kev61 said:

and that's why Roman and his advisors rightly sacked him on both occasions.

I agree. However, they also rightly hired him on both those occasions too! 3 PL titles + 3 League Cups + 1 FA Cup + 1 Community Shield = not too shabby, I'd have thought.....:).