• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

Kezza   

So many teams are playing with three at the back already recently. Conte literally changed the league already! Even Everton was playing three at the back against City.

42 minutes ago, Kezza said:

So many teams are playing with three at the back already recently. Conte literally changed the league already! Even Everton was playing three at the back against City.

Surely Spurs were doing it before us.  Loads of teams did it.
Glen Hoddle did it as a player at Chelsea.  
Moreover plenty of teams have done it as Spurs do it with Dier - a biggish guy at DM who sometimes plays CM, and sometimes drops back as 3rd CB.  This 2 and a half CB thing has been around for at least a decade.  It was how Mikel mostly played. It was how Matic played under JM.   Indeed it is how Chelsea often play now, with Azpi pushing up alongside Kante at times.

Too much oversimplification of formation by idiot commentators IMO.

46 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Moreover plenty of teams have done it as Spurs do it with Dier - a biggish guy at DM who sometimes plays CM, and sometimes drops back as 3rd CB.  This 2 and a half CB thing has been around for at least a decade.  It was how Mikel mostly played. It was how Matic played under JM.   Indeed it is how Chelsea often play now, with Azpi pushing up alongside Kante at times.

... and yet when they show 'heat maps' of where the players were during the game, you can see fairly clearly that these "oversimplifications" are generally correct.

Kezza   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm merely referring simply to having 3 at the back and then you have the advance wing backs/midfielders further up most of the time. I don't remember Spurs playing like that before Conte did last year, and certainly Jose doesn't play such formation ever before. Having a 5-3-2 which I suppose that's what Droy was referring to saying that's how Mikel/Matic played under JM, is different to a distinct 3-5-2 formation where the wing backs are generally more adventurous and advanced. And then, you have City who plays midfielders/wingers in the wing back positions who are not natural defenders. I do not see how this formation is the same as anything ever played before.

Anyways, it's clear teams are playing like that having seen how effective it was for us.

1 minute ago, Kezza said:

I'm merely referring simply to having 3 at the back and then you have the advance wing backs/midfielders further up most of the time. I don't remember Spurs playing like that before Conte did last year, and certainly Jose doesn't play such formation ever before. Having a 5-3-2 which I suppose that's what Droy was referring to saying that's how Mikel/Matic played under JM, is different to a distinct 3-5-2 formation where the wing backs are generally more adventurous and advanced. And then, you have City who plays midfielders/wingers in the wing back positions who are not natural defenders. I do not see how this formation is the same as anything ever played before.

Anyways, it's clear teams are playing like that having seen how effective it was for us.

No - advanced full backs are not new either - goes back to Terry Cooper at Leeds if not before.  Most teams play most of the time with one advanced FB unless the oppo push 3 up.

Forget starting formations.  Generally 1 oppo forward means two at the back.  2 forwards mean 3 at the back.  3 forwards means 4 at the back.  Players have always moved about the pitch according to the demands of the game.
There is very little new in the game.

46 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

... and yet when they show 'heat maps' of where the players were during the game, you can see fairly clearly that these "oversimplifications" are generally correct.

Can you?  

If you want to define our formation by how we line up when Courtois has the ball, there may be some truth there.  But those moments last maybe 10 times as long as the ones where there CM has the ball.  So I struggle to find heat maps very relevant to tactics.

Perhaps if there were heat maps with the ball and without the ball.  Perhaps someone one-day will even come out with a clear description for the rules that heat map makers follow.  I've not seen any yet.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Can you?  

If you want to define our formation by how we line up when Courtois has the ball, there may be some truth there.  But those moments last maybe 10 times as long as the ones where there CM has the ball.  So I struggle to find heat maps very relevant to tactics.

Perhaps if there were heat maps with the ball and without the ball.  Perhaps someone one-day will even come out with a clear description for the rules that heat map makers follow.  I've not seen any yet.

I'm sure you can make your own up to fit whatever you want to try and prove in order to be (in your mind at least) 'right again'.

xCELERYx   
9 hours ago, Kezza said:

Reminds me a little of Serie A a few years ago. There's always been one or two teams that play 352 or a variant, however it caught on and became a more common placed thing. Seeing it here now in the EPL as you said. After we made the change and went on that undefeated run, others started to make that switch. 

kev61   
12 hours ago, Kezza said:

Conte never changed anything.Wing backs were always in existence - just a different name were attributed to them.My meaning of a wing back is they bomb up and down the flanks - no different from a left back and a right back in old money.