• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, jones said:

Have been off Twitter for a few days - would appreciate if someone could update me on the Conte situation? Is it really a situation, and if so why?

Pure BS or credible sources?

What Conte situation? Do you mean the BS story that we're lining up Tuchel?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/chelsea-thomas-tuchel-transfer-news-latest-antonio-conte-contract-deal-a7907846.html

 

P.S. I suggest you stay well away from Twitter... Twitter is for Twats!!! ;-)

Edited by Bob Singleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats going to happen with this guy. 

Clearly wanted players, didn't get the ones he wanted... Got rid of Costa - or so he thought.. Seems a very ambitious sort of manager but his employers dont seem to be.. didn't re-adjust the length of his contract, Premier League champion, plenty of potential suitors... I mean, the writing is on the wall, isn't it?

Doesnt seem as though he is very trusted by those at the club. 

Edited by Blue_In_Every_Way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Whats going to happen with this guy. 

Clearly wanted players, didn't get the ones he wanted... Got rid of Costa - or so he thought.. Seems a very ambitious sort of manager but his employers dont seem to be.. didn't re-adjust the length of his contract, Premier League champion, plenty of potential suitors... I mean, the writing is on the wall, isn't it?

Doesnt seem as though he is very trusted by those at the club. 

2 hours ago, Juni said:

Nope, that the club rightly sent those needing loans on loan because they knew Conte wasn't going to actually play them (despite their directive to be more inclusive in that area), and have played hardball with his (often outlandish) transfer market demands, making it harder for him to do his job because he's basically tried to make demands outside the remit of his job.

Generally Juni knows more about what is happening around the club than anyone else here.
It does sound like the rumours of a lot of conflict between from 2 or 3 weeks ago may well be true.

I certainly wouldn't blame Conte for being furious with what he has been given this window.  Either he hasn't made his expectations clear in an acceptable way, or he has been shafted.  In which case he should walk - why do what JM did and wait for the sack?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Whats going to happen with this guy. 

Clearly wanted players, didn't get the ones he wanted... Got rid of Costa - or so he thought.. Seems a very ambitious sort of manager but his employers dont seem to be.. didn't re-adjust the length of his contract, Premier League champion, plenty of potential suitors... I mean, the writing is on the wall, isn't it?

Doesnt seem as though he is very trusted by those at the club. 

I'm not so sure that it's a case that he's not trusted by the club, just that they have quite differing perspectives on player recruitment.

The club are reluctant to purchase players that they don't see as having a sell-on value unless those players are at the lowest end of the market price-wise. Nor are the club keen on purchasing players over a certain age. I really can't understand how people thought we'd get Llorente. Not only is he over 30, so would only be offered a one year contract by us, but we were being asked to pay a fee for him... and not just a fee, but quite a high fee! Under Abramovich, we have not bought a player over 30. Any over 30 players we have signed have been on a free. The biggest surprise was that we apparently did put in a bid, but obviously not a big enough one for Swansea. Even if it had been accepted, I doubt we would have offered Llorente anything but a one year contract. If the club couldn't make an exception on that 30+ rule for JT, why make it for Llorente?

I believe the club want Conte to integrate academy players. Conte has said that they are not yet ready. I believe (and I may be completely wrong on this... and I'm sure Juni could tell us more if he were inclined to do so), that the club allowed some of the players like Ake and Challobah to leave partly as a form of 'punishment' to Conte... if you say they're not good enough, then we'll sell them, but don't expect us to buy replacements type of scenario.

Again, these are just my thoughts, and I may be way off the mark, but I get the feeling that Conte, when discussing recruitment, has wanted older, more tactically aware players with a view to the short term. As with all Chelsea managers, he knows he has limited time here, so he wants players around him who will do the job he requires of them. The club know that maybe as early as next summer, and probably within the next two years, there will be a new man at the helm (so to speak) who will have a different vision. The club cannot afford to have a whole raft of ageing "Conte style" players who will need selling in order to bring in players the new man wants... especially not with a new stadium to fund.

Instead, the club continues with the pragmatic, and let's not forget, successful, recruitment policy of the last few years... generally younger players who will be future stars, with the odd 'superstar' occasionally brought in when value can be found, all of whom are intelligent and skilful enough to play most styles and systems, with a sell-on value.

What we are seeing is a clash of personalities. Conte wants players who fit his style, no matter their age. The club wants young players who can fit the style of whoever is the manager today, but that can also fit the style of tomorrow's manager. In any such clash, ultimately there will only be one winner... and it's not the manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Generally Juni knows more about what is happening around the club than anyone else here.
It does sound like the rumours of a lot of conflict between from 2 or 3 weeks ago may well be true.

I certainly wouldn't blame Conte for being furious with what he has been given this window.  Either he hasn't made his expectations clear in an acceptable way, or he has been shafted.  In which case he should walk - why do what JM did and wait for the sack?

 

 

 

The thing is things seem a lot more toxic this transfer window than they did when Jose won the league. Conte has been quite open about his expectations regarding transfer activity and ambition. Jose, on the other hand (pragmatist that he is), chose to back his squad almost until the end in the press until eventually he exploded in that memorable post match interview where he acknowledged that he had managed to get the players at his disposal to seriously over achieve the season before.

Jose seemed a lot more tied to the club than Conte does, and a lot more connected to the fan base. I seriously believe that Conte's the type to walk out the door just before kick off. I dont get a sense of loyalty to the club from Conte to be perfectly honest. He seems a guy who is very much calculated and objective in everything he does.

I mean, if he knew that Costa was gone in the summer he did a hell of a good job putting on a show for the cameras after we won crucial games hugging him at every opportunity while celebrating! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^I agree with all of that other than one nit picking point.

30 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

chose to back his squad almost until the end in the press until eventually he exploded in that memorable post match interview where he acknowledged that he had managed to get the players at his disposal to seriously over achieve the season before.

My memory is that that came earlier, when things were calmer, and at the time was accepted as a reasonable point (as it was).  But it was quoted back at him by the traditionally vicious press when things got nastier.

32 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I mean, if he knew that Costa was gone in the summer he did a hell of a good job putting on a show for the cameras after we won crucial games hugging him at every opportunity while celebrating! 

As things have developed this season it has become less and less clear who is to blame for the falling out with Costa.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stim   
6 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

why do what JM did and wait for the sack?

$$$$$$$$$$$

Not like getting fired by Chelsea does anything seriously damaging to your reputation. Everyone blamed JM for last time but he still got the man u job, and no one thinks Conte is at fault for anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kezza   

Conte is still here! Thank god. Poor man's got a big task on his hands now. Compared to other managers in Manchester who gets it easy every season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
10 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Whats going to happen with this guy. 

Clearly wanted players, didn't get the ones he wanted... Got rid of Costa - or so he thought.. Seems a very ambitious sort of manager but his employers dont seem to be.. didn't re-adjust the length of his contract, Premier League champion, plenty of potential suitors... I mean, the writing is on the wall, isn't it?

Doesnt seem as though he is very trusted by those at the club. 

Spanish window is still open BTW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stim said:

$$$$$$$$$$$

Not like getting fired by Chelsea does anything seriously damaging to your reputation. Everyone blamed JM for last time but he still got the man u job, and no one thinks Conte is at fault for anything

Fair enough - but clearly if there is conflict there must be doubts about both sides.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now