• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

Genuinely concerned Conte could walk. Telegraph just published a CFC press release stating that the board kept Conte out of the Barkley negotiations because he failed to convince Ox to come.

If I was Conte I would have tendered my resignation immediately upon reading that.

50 minutes ago, bluecueball said:

Genuinely concerned Conte could walk. Telegraph just published a CFC press release stating that the board kept Conte out of the Barkley negotiations because he failed to convince Ox to come.

If I was Conte I would have tendered my resignation immediately upon reading that.

As per usual the press are "reaching" .

Yesterday it was Roman furious at Emanalo and Marina , today this.

One day they'll get something right , I'm  still waiting for the imminent arrival of Johann Cruyff and he's been dead for years.

Point is I think the club briefed the Telegraph with that story - regardless of whether it's true or false - and that says to me that they're looking to weaken his position.

paulw66   
2 hours ago, bluecueball said:

If Chelsea issued a press release, it would be everywhere.

Moreover, why would they?

I mean they consistently leak stuff to their tame journos like matt law to frame nsrratives. This reads exactly like one of those pieces, and paints conte as useless at negs. When they sack him in 6 months, all of these pieces that built a narrative will seem like they had no option but to sack him. But if we win they won't need to sack him but we won't remember the negative stories or just chalk it up to paper talk.

Zidane   

I must be the only one that thinks Conte comes off incredibly well in that article. If true, Conte told Chamberlain that he'd be a wingback and competing with Moses (no BS about competing with our current guys at CM) , and the Board knew he'd probably tell Barkley he'd go out on loan.

On 9/6/2017 at 3:01 AM, bluecueball said:

I mean they consistently leak stuff to their tame journos like matt law to frame nsrratives. This reads exactly like one of those pieces, and paints conte as useless at negs. When they sack him in 6 months, all of these pieces that built a narrative will seem like they had no option but to sack him. But if we win they won't need to sack him but we won't remember the negative stories or just chalk it up to paper talk.

Tbh, I don't believe that the club leaks stories to the media anywhere near as regularly as some here would have you believe. Just as I 'm equally sceptical about the claims of these so-called 'tame' journalists who supposedly get fed stories. Sure, I know  - the probability is that it does happen occasionally - but that doesn't mean that every time a journo writes a story,  he's been fed it by the club. As far as the club is concerned, imo they don't need to 'frame narratives'  - if they want to punt the manager, then that's exactly what they'll do, as we've witnessed numerous times since Roman took over. They don't answer to the media, or the fans, just Roman.

Could be an interesting or unteresting manager press conference today, I am going for the latter.

He knows his squad, now is the time for him to earn his 9m a year and coach them to the best of his ability

kev61   

Interesting to hear the heirarchy at Watford think a manager has too much responsibility,I agree,just look at Wenger - he is destroying arsenal because he has lost the plot but is in control...madness.

People hate our board,but IMO we have sacked every manager at the right time.Conte is the best manager we've ever had and I hope he stays for a long time - but he is not bigger than the club.

The rumours  Conte is not happy at the club and signings are daft.we have signed enough players in the last window to improve us.

xCELERYx   
32 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Interesting to hear the heirarchy at Watford think a manager has too much responsibility,I agree,just look at Wenger - he is destroying arsenal because he has lost the plot but is in control...madness.

People hate our board,but IMO we have sacked every manager at the right time.Conte is the best manager we've ever had and I hope he stays for a long time - but he is not bigger than the club.

The rumours  Conte is not happy at the club and signings are daft.we have signed enough players in the last window to improve us.

No manager is bigger than the club, I agree. Although, it's equally as important that a manager has the power to mold his own side with the players he desires. A natural compromise is that manager and board work together to obtain mutual targets, however at times a manager should be given the freedom to bring in a couple of his own choices. A lot of our success in the early Roman era was down to Mourinho being able to bring in a core of players from his Porto side and others. This allowed us a solid foundation for years to come even after JM left.

When the board has majority of the power in terms bringing players in it can result in being quite restrictive when moving forward. This was the case a few seasons ago, we had been built for 4321 and nothing more. It made it difficult to branch out of that and evolve. We've slowly started to change that under Conte and it can be seen with the sort of players we're targeting now. With the board being so involved though it's become a drawn out process - more than it needs to be, or should be. 

The other thing is that with the board being so involved with recruitment that it leaves managers having to be successful with a squad that they've had limited impact in creating. Which is kinda like being given a golf ball and a bar of soap and then being told to make a fire. 

Naturally, no manager should have full control because that spells problems for when they leave. But there has to be some form of middle ground where the manager can still bring in players he feels will work best, while pleasing the board with the criteria they have in mind. Sometimes though there's just too many cooks in the kitchen.