• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

If Conte did go, 

Oh, I think it's pretty obvious that Conte will go. The only question for me is whether he walks, or is pushed.

59 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Oh, I think it's pretty obvious that Conte will go. The only question for me is whether he walks, or is pushed.

Yep. I agree. If we lose to Arsenal and go out of the CL, he may walk. Indeed he might even walk if he doesn’t get who he wants in January.

I don’t think Chelsea necessarily want him out, they won’t sack him. I think he will walk of his volition, as at Juve.

Allegri looks favourite at the moment and is the logical choice. He built well on Conte’s foundations at Juve, and could do again here.

It may well be one reason we are not spending now is so we can back our new manager, whoever that is, in the summer. 

The board know the league is done and dusted whoever we sign, and we’re not likely to win the CL. They might figure its best to wait till the summer.

But remember, all deals have to be done before the first PL fixture this coming summer. So they will need an early decision.

The report on Allegri says he has already agreed to come here. When Jose came back it was a done deal pretty much before Spring, and Conte was announced around March/April, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they have nailed down their target already. 

It’s a shame because I love Conte. But he has been tactically caught out this year. We have no plan B - it’s 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 and nothing else. We are creating chances but we don’t have enough goalscoring options, which will be addressed short term now, but in the longer term in the summer, IMO, under our next manager.

I admit I would love a manager willing to give people like RLC, Musonda, Sterling and Abraham decent first team chances. If I knew that was guaranteed I wouldn’t mind less signings. Though we would still need two or three big ones. 

We will see I guess. But yes, Conte is gone in summer, if not before. He looks like a guy who doesn’t want to be here anymore, who knows he is done.  

It’s really sad. But inevitable sadly given the way our club is run.

Those Italians must be good.  
They provide most of the candidates for the job, the non-candidate, CA, their jounalists are first with the story, and even manage to predict what the Mail will write a couple of hours later.

Just now, Droy was my hero said:

Those Italians must be good.  
They provide most of the candidates for the job, the non-candidate, CA, their jounalists are first with the story, and even manage to predict what the Mail will write a couple of hours later.

I think it’s pretty clear Conte is going, as MT said. It’s just a matter of when, how, and who replaces him.

You don’t need to read any newspapers to know that.

40 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Yep. I agree. If we lose to Arsenal and go out of the CL, he may walk. Indeed he might even walk if he doesn’t get who he wants in January.

I don’t think Chelsea necessarily want him out, they won’t sack him. I think he will walk of his volition, as at Juve.

Allegri looks favourite at the moment and is the logical choice. He built well on Conte’s foundations at Juve, and could do again here.

It may well be one reason we are not spending now is so we can back our new manager, whoever that is, in the summer. 

The board know the league is done and dusted whoever we sign, and we’re not likely to win the CL. They might figure its best to wait till the summer.

But remember, all deals have to be done before the first PL fixture this coming summer. So they will need an early decision.

The report on Allegri says he has already agreed to come here. When Jose came back it was a done deal pretty much before Spring, and Conte was announced around March/April, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they have nailed down their target already. 

It’s a shame because I love Conte. But he has been tactically caught out this year. We have no plan B - it’s 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 and nothing else. We are creating chances but we don’t have enough goalscoring options, which will be addressed short term now, but in the longer term in the summer, IMO, under our next manager.

I admit I would love a manager willing to give people like RLC, Musonda, Sterling and Abraham decent first team chances. If I knew that was guaranteed I wouldn’t mind less signings. Though we would still need two or three big ones. 

We will see I guess. But yes, Conte is gone in summer, if not before. He looks like a guy who doesn’t want to be here anymore, who knows he is done.  

It’s really sad. But inevitable sadly given the way our club is run.

It depends on one's interpretation of "backing the manager"

If the manager wants older, experienced players with little to no sell-on value (as Conte seemingly does, if we are to believe he wants/wanted players like Llorente, Nainggolan and Vidal) then the manager, no matter who he is, will not be backed. The only 29/30+ players we'll sign will be on a free, such as a second/third choice keeper with the experience deemed necessary for a club such as ours, but not genuinely expecting anything more than starts in some cup games.

The club will again look at younger players whose value can be added to, so that if they don't work out, we can sell and make a profit (in terms of transfer fee, anyway) and if they do work out, we can keep until they start nudging 30 and still be able to get some value from a sale. The really, really good ones (the future equivalents of Lampard and Terry) will be kept beyond their thirties.

If we change managers in the summer, the club should look for someone who fits in better with the club's player purchase/sale policy than Conte. I like Conte, but he and the club were never going to agree with the player recruitment policy and one or other of the parties, if not both, should have said "sorry, no, I can't/we don't work that way" before the contracts were signed.

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Yep. Allegri makes a ton of sense. Followed Conte at Juve and built on his legacy. Could do that here too.

His teams score more goals per game (2.5) than Conte’s (1.6), and he’s got a better record in the CL as well. Looks like he is pretty shrewd in the transfer market too. Worked with Morata before. 

If Conte did go, I’d be well happy with Allegri as his replacement. 

Big difference between the side Conte left behind for Allegri at Juventus and the potential side he'd be leaving behind here. He tried to come in and actually change what Conte had instilled. It saw the side struggle badly early on until a few senior players stepped in and begged for him to revert back to the system they played under Conte (352). As soon as that was done, performances improved immediately. Eventually, Allegri has been able to move away from the 352 and go back to his preferred 4231 system, but it's taken considerable time and sizeable player turnover to achieve.

Allegri isn't perfect either I might add, he makes some really bizarre decisions at times - and this season has showcased that even more. Ultimately, it's left Juventus quite inconsistent this season and seen the performances of a number of players - one being the targeted Alex Sandro, tail off from the level that that were being had previously. Don't think his record at Juventus fool you too much, a lot of that is based purely on the foundations built by Conte. 

Also, don't read much into the whole scoring more goals per game deal than Conte either. The attacking quality Conte had during his 3 years was no where near the level to what Allegri has had. Conte had one season, his final one, where he finally had some sort of quality upfront in Tevez and Llorente who essentially carried the attack. Prior to that players like Vucinic, Matri, Quagliarella, Giovinco and an aged Del Piero were what he was dealing with. Hell, he had to loan players like Anelka, Bendtner and Dani Osvaldo at one point in his second season.

As the squad got stronger each season, goals scored per season also went up. His sides were always among the top scorers in the league each season. 

Edited by xCELERYx

4 hours ago, James Prescott said:

I think it’s pretty clear Conte is going, as MT said. It’s just a matter of when, how, and who replaces him.

Oh well. that just means one more coach for Mourinho to get petty with.

paulw66   
10 hours ago, James Prescott said:

According to the media Conte has been on his way out since the 3-0 defeat at Arsenal in September 2016. 

Personally, I am happy to wait and see rather than believe people who know no more than we do. 

• Like 1

Can anyone actually think of a decent candidate to replace Conte who would fit the narrative of being willing to use younger players rather than expect to buy players in the 27-30 bracket?