• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

Recommended Posts

jangz   
1 minute ago, chiswickblue said:

Can anyone actually think of a decent candidate to replace Conte who would fit the narrative of being willing to use younger players rather than expect to buy players in the 27-30 bracket?

I dont think Conte is unwilling to use younger players.. it's more of a media build up and also a compulsion from a squad standpoint. I think with Conte and the way it is with most managers is that they are willing to play players who are good enough. Of all the young players Conte is supposed to play.. are they really good enough to play for us above of the current lot.  RLC for all the talk hasnt really set the place on fire for Crystal Palace- it has been down to Zaha to carry the team.. Chalobah is out injured.. Tammy hasnt scored enough albeit in a struggling side.. Musonda hasnt really impressed.... where are the youngsters that can play for chelsea??

People forget even Harry Kane literally banged the door open by scoring bucket loads in cup games.. and it helped with a non-scoring Soldado.. there are no "youngsters" playing for Arsenal.. the Utd ones played by LVG have been loaned out by Mou.. while Rashford is a success story but not a nailed down starter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There isn't a manager in the Premier League who doesn't want more and better players , what we need to do is as a club decide what we actually want and if the answer is a coach who can utilise a squad made up of youth team graduates then don't sack them when they don't qualify for the Champions League when City , United , Liverpool et al are throwing money around like it's going out of fashion , most managers are only as good as the players afforded them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jangz   
4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

There isn't a manager in the Premier League who doesn't want more and better players , what we need to do is as a club decide what we actually want and if the answer is a coach who can utilise a squad made up of youth team graduates then don't sack them when they don't qualify for the Champions League when City , United , Liverpool et al are throwing money around like it's going out of fashion , most managers are only as good as the players afforded them.

And more if you look at it .. IMO I think the club prioritizes the latter.. Any coach irrespective of who and how he plays (except Ancellotti) needs to qualify for the UCL as a bare minimum  or he gets the boot. its wishfull thinking that we can take the former approach and like u said compete with the other top 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jangz said:

there are no "youngsters" playing for Arsenal..

Maitland-Niles is 20, Iwobi 21 in his 3rd season of more than occasional starts. Holding was used often enough as soon as he was bought at 20.  Callum Chambers was bought at 19 and started 17 PL games in his first season.
Bellerin is 22 and has been a regular for 3 seasons now.  

So youngsters do play of Arsenal.  Not that anyone wants Wenger as a manager.

34 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Can anyone actually think of a decent candidate to replace Conte who would fit the narrative of being willing to use younger players rather than expect to buy players in the 27-30 bracket?

This reads to me like a rhetorical question.  You can't get a reputation for both success and introducing kids early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

This reads to me like a rhetorical question.  You can't get a reputation for both success and introducing kids early.

I wasn't meaning academy youngsters, I.e. 19-21 year olds that have player little first team football, but a first team coach happy to work with purchases in the 22-25 age bracket, with 150+ first team appearances behind them. It's obvious that the board prefers to buy these players due to their sell-on potential. We don't know if Conte really wants to buy players like Vidal but I can't see the club agreeing to this.

Although from a business and footballing perspective we can only hope to have a 25/26 man squad if we have a coach prepared to use some academy products as rotation options, whilst encouraging the board to invest in top class 22-25 year old players that are ready for the first team but can easily be resold if they don't settle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Although from a business and footballing perspective we can only hope to have a 25/26 man squad if we have a coach prepared to use some academy products as rotation options, whilst encouraging the board to invest in top class 22-25 year old players that are ready for the first team but can easily be resold if they don't settle.

We had a great period 2011-14 where we bought a stack of 19-22 yos with 50+ starts and had incredible transfer success with them - to the point that the 3 or 4 who failed to make it at Chelsea are constantly being thrown in the clubs face as ""failures"".  But Courtois, Hazard and a bunch of others (Azpi, Oscar) lead us to 2 titles.

Trouble is the Lukakus then were cheap.

We just bought Bakayoko and Bats.  No where near the track records of the players we used to buy, but pretty expensive and flops.  

Simply put, the whole football world is trying to buy talent as we did in 2011-14.  It has gone to being as expensive as buying older players and as high risk as buying younger ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   

Well it is more likely than not Conte is gone at the end of the season.It makes no sense to me, to at last have a manager that has over achieved with what he has.Maybe there are things going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

My logic tells me...Conte has complained about lack of backing in the transfer market and has been given short shrift.Crazy really as we have cast our net(paying a fortune)far and wide to capture  the right manager.I think this is going to be a case of the fish/ manager that got away whilst the fisherman thinks there are plenty more fish in the sea..which there isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kev61 said:

My logic tells me...Conte has complained about lack of backing in the transfer market and has been given short shrift.

Except, pace your logic, Conte has never complained about lack of backing in the transfer market.

Most papers have said he has complained.  Most punters would say the club hasn't backed him.  But Conte hasn't actually complained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   
2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Except, pace your logic, Conte has never complained about lack of backing in the transfer market.

Most papers have said he has complained.  Most punters would say the club hasn't backed him.  But Conte hasn't actually complained.

How do know he hasn't complained? "Pace my logic" lol..read your own posts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kev61 said:

How do know he hasn't complained? 

Go find the quotes - he hasn't.  Or have you joined the ranks of Duncan Castles and can mind read the Chelsea board members now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now