Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

1,486 posts in this topic

Like transfers, the fact this is announced early he has time to study the club and find his way, even if officially he is not with us yet.

32 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Arezzo - Serie B
Sacked, then re-hired and then got relegated

Bari - Serie B and A
Won promotion from Serie B in first season then left by mutual consent due to him having his head turned by the Juventus job (which he did not get at this point)

Atalanta - Serie A
Left after falling out with clubs fans and being confronted by the 'Ultra's' - resigned with the team in 19th

Siena - Serie B
Got newly relegated Siena back up to Serie A and then left for Juventus job

It's not the worst CV but it's hardly the best (other than Juventus as I originally mentioned). Hopefully it won't be an issue and he used that time to learn a lot about the game and we'll see the benefits.

To be fair that sounds like my Football Manager career.

2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

To be fair that sounds like my Football Manager career.

Should have got your application in earlier then

Italy and Juventus star Andrea Pirlo wrote this in his autobiography:

"Even when we're winning, Conte comes in and hurls against the wall (and thus my little corner) anything he can lay his hands on... almost always full bottles of water. Fizzy water. Very fizzy water."

And when Conte speaks "his words assault you", says Pirlo, adding: "They crash through the doors of your mind, often quite violently, and settle deep within you."

Not sure how some of our precious little treasures would react to that....

See you in December Guus! 

Ha ha just kidding I'm delighted about this. Welcome Antonio roll on 2016-17!

He will lead Chelsea to the tite next season. #conte #chelsea #alltheway 

27 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

"Even when we're winning, Conte comes in and hurls against the wall (and thus my little corner) anything he can lay his hands on... almost always full bottles of water. Fizzy water. Very fizzy water."

And when Conte speaks "his words assault you", says Pirlo, adding: "They crash through the doors of your mind, often quite violently, and settle deep within you."

I hope he does the same here, and if any players has a problem they can cry their way out the door.

I suppose at least he will have a free locker to hurl stuff towards, seeing as Frank's corner locker hasn't been taken yet.

43 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

those precious little treasures are the reason where we are now and probably on their way anyway

Agreed Exiled, many of them have been weak as kittens and for me may not have a chance under this guy.

Welcome Antonio - great appointment. Proven winner, great tactically, plays good football, track record of blooding young players, knows the language. And not as volatile as Jose. 

Think this one could last longer than a couple of years - title won't be expected next season for sure, just top 3/4, which with the right investment we should do.

Optimistic. As ever.

As for the 'head coach' thing - I don't think he would have joined unless he had some control over transfer policy. One reason he left Juve was that he didn't get players he wanted. So he'll get some influence without doubt. I'm choosing not to be cynical.

There's also been big rumours about a DOF being appointed, and if that happens, especially Baldini, then Emanalo's position will be weaker.

Plus, for all his faults, Emanalo did get Lukaku, De Bruyne, Schurrle, Zouma, Hazard, Dave, and even more recently Baba , who has shown promise, and even Miazaga who looked promising himself yesterday. But I do think we need a fresh approach, so hopefully Conte will have bigger influence and we'll have a DOF to work with him.