Sir

Official: Antonio Conte Appointed As New Manager

1,486 posts in this topic

Heard all these same arguments when Jose was appointed and we still didn't learn so I'm not holding my breath

1 hour ago, Stim said:

Heard all these same arguments when Jose was appointed and we still didn't learn so I'm not holding my breath

I wouldn't, he doesn't start until July.

1 person likes this

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

I wouldn't, he doesn't start until July.

By which time most of the players will have been bought or sold.  Looks like another team effort again.

The size of the squad isn't as big of an issue anymore - especially as Bertrand Traore, Ruben Loftus Cheek and Nathan Ake have now got valuable PL experience.

It is the quality of the players at his disposal that is going to prove decisive. Our first 11 needs work.. Conte will need to work on our defenders especially as well as the midfield.

From what I remember of his Juventus side, the midfield was key. Our midfield is crap to be honest. That is most likely where he will have to spend the most.

11 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

The size of the squad isn't as big of an issue anymore - especially as Bertrand Traore, Ruben Loftus Cheek and Nathan Ake have now got valuable PL experience.

No - still quantity is the issue.  JT is gone, probably 3 backup CFs, Ramires went, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone else went before September.

Then the senior players are Courtois, Ivanovic, a very injured Zouma, Cahill, Azpi, Fabregas, Mikel, Willian, Oscar Hazard, Costa.

Beyond that is only Begovic, Matic and Pedro (who could argue he should be a starter).

14 senior players including a young and injured Zouma and the GK2, and assuming nor further departures.

Who else?  Baba & Ake are probably the next senior players.  But they, and Kenedy, Traore, RLC , Miazga, Christensen and Balckman or whoever at GK3 should all be players 21-25 in a full squad.

Players 15- 20 should be senior pros and that makes us 6 short.

53 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Our midfield is crap to be honest

No.  Fabregas and Mikel are excellent and have probably been our best players in the last 3 months.  Everyone does their bit and wins most of their 50/50s and the CM looks great.  The other players don't put in a shift and the CM looks overwhelmed, that is how it works.

Excited over this officially being done, but remain realistic with my expectations for next season because of the overhaul we need and the Euro's likely impacting that. 

Conte will no doubt be a wake up call to a few and I'm really looking forward to seeing an Italian influence back at the club. After all, it's what drew me into following Chelsea to begin with.

4 hours ago, James Prescott said:

As for the 'head coach' thing - I don't think he would have joined unless he had some control over transfer policy. One reason he left Juve was that he didn't get players he wanted. So he'll get some influence without doubt. I'm choosing not to be cynical.

There's also been big rumours about a DOF being appointed, and if that happens, especially Baldini, then Emanalo's position will be weaker.

Plus, for all his faults, Emanalo did get Lukaku, De Bruyne, Schurrle, Zouma, Hazard, Dave, and even more recently Baba , who has shown promise, and even Miazaga who looked promising himself yesterday. But I do think we need a fresh approach, so hopefully Conte will have bigger influence and we'll have a DOF to work with him. 

Jimmy. Baba is the worst left back we've had in years. He's utterly useless. 

12 minutes ago, chelsea_matt said:

Jimmy. Baba is the worst left back we've had in years. He's utterly useless. 

I tend to agree although there are quite a few fans here it would appear. He has something of a left sided Bosingwa for my liking

7 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Like transfers, the fact this is announced early.........................................................................

..........................the Season Ticket renewals will probably be posted out shortly - just call me a cynic