• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fletcher-reede

New Chelsea Fan, some questions!

Since this season's beginning, I considered of being a part of EPL (and world football) and chose to support Chelsea (since we were the champions last year). It's been a more-on-the-negative-side rollercoaster ride of a season! But Conte coming next season, there could be a positive upheaval I hope

As my father is from Egypt (his parents are, actually), I like to watch out for Egyptian players like Salah, Amro Tarek, Kouka etc. But the only Egyptian to play in the EPL is Elneny, and he is good and young. So is it okay if I want Arsenal to succeed because Elneny plays there too? Barring the matches between us two, I don't mind them winning; is that ok, having Chelsea the favourite and Arsenal as the second? I know of the rivalry, but is it fine?

btw Don't think that I've ever thought of them winning the league this season! Leicester have been my no.1 darkhorse team for some time. Thanks!

Sea foot   

In that case, is it ok for me to want L'Arse or the Spuds to win because they have English players playing for them?

I think not.

StebzAno   
13 hours ago, fletcher-reede said:

Since this season's beginning, I considered of being a part of EPL (and world football) and chose to support Chelsea (since we were the champions last year). It's been a more-on-the-negative-side rollercoaster ride of a season! But Conte coming next season, there could be a positive upheaval I hope

As my father is from Egypt (his parents are, actually), I like to watch out for Egyptian players like Salah, Amro Tarek, Kouka etc. But the only Egyptian to play in the EPL is Elneny, and he is good and young. So is it okay if I want Arsenal to succeed because Elneny plays there too? Barring the matches between us two, I don't mind them winning; is that ok, having Chelsea the favourite and Arsenal as the second? I know of the rivalry, but is it fine?

btw Don't think that I've ever thought of them winning the league this season! Leicester have been my no.1 darkhorse team for some time. Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I should imagine as an EPL newbie it might be more fun to remain a neutral and eventually see which teams you like/enjoy to watch most.  Bear in mind that the EPL is quite competitive and the same team can have good seasons and bad seasons (like us now).

It is not uncommon for people to have a 'second team' or more because of some kind of link back to that second team, or to be able to follow another league.  However it is, shall we say, 'forbidden' to support rival teams, and Arsenal are for sure a rival team to Chelsea.  Neither Chelsea fans nor Arsenal fans would like you to support their rivals.

That said I do take enjoyment from the fact that certain ex-Chelsea players are continuing to enjoy football such as Lampard, Sturridge and Mata even when they play against us, but I would by no means start supporting the team they've moved to, I just support them as an individual.

If you decide to continue to support Chelsea (good choice), then by all means still follow Egyptian players but as individuals.

StebzAno   
12 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Great reply Stebz.

Mine was a bit more flippant.

Haha, I saw your post as a subtle insight to the reaction he'd probably get walking into a bar pre-match, announcing his support to the rivals.  Subtle being the key word by comparison.

9 minutes ago, StebzAno said:

Haha, I saw your post as a subtle insight to the reaction he'd probably get walking into a bar pre-match, announcing his support to the rivals.  Subtle being the key word by comparison.

Could be worse... he could have gone on a Galatasaray forum asking if it's OK to also support Beşiktaş or Fenerbahçe