Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Tucker

Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1

115 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

^ so instead of 15 players and a bunch of kids, you'd rather make it easier for the kids by cutting a few more adults.  

Nah, just that if we are going to spend money on senior players, just make sure they are top quality and not average. Average senior players give us no resale value and do block potential coming through. If we had spent more but got a top quality player, I would have no problem at all.

29 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Pedro...was never a regular at Barca. 

Pedro was very definitely a regular at Barca. 

So you want squad players better than Pedro and you want our kids to be better than Pedro.  

Not much realism there it seems to me.

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

So you want squad players better than Pedro and you want our kids to be better than Pedro.  

Not much realism there it seems to me.

Pedro is a starter at the moment, and he simply can't be, he just isn't good enough; we need to be aiming higher than Pedro being a starter. Pedro is in my opinion just a squad player, someone who comes on in the last 15mins to run at tired players, or to help defend from the front. We need and should have signed a better quality player.

Edit: The young players don't need to be better than Pedro yet, but given the chance they can be better within 2 seasons. Pedro takes up vital playing time, an aging player taking vital playing time from top prospects. 

Edited by GURJ SS

5 hours ago, cam4blue said:

Yes when Barca were protecting their players in the last quarter of a game, he was mainly a bench player.

Edit: He started off brightly, but was in the end found to be a squad player not a starter, he just doesn't have the quality. Watching him against Liverpool wasn't even painful when he had chances to score, because I didn't expect him to; we need killers not hopefuls. 

Edited by GURJ SS

43 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Pedro is a starter at the moment, and he simply can't be, he just isn't good enough; we need to be aiming higher than Pedro being a starter. Pedro is in my opinion just a squad player, someone who comes on in the last 15mins to run at tired players, or to help defend from the front. We need and should have signed a better quality player.

Edit: The young players don't need to be better than Pedro yet, but given the chance they can be better within 2 seasons. Pedro takes up vital playing time, an aging player taking vital playing time from top prospects. 

I don't have much of an issue with Pedro being a starter for the time being, he has his qualities and an eye for goal. However, I think he'd have a far bigger impact in games if we were a more open side and played quicker. He's sort of that wing-forward/inside forward type of player that likes to get in behind or cut inside to shoot. We just don't play in a way that benefits that sort of player whatsoever. Don't think buying a better player would solve a whole lot if they're also having their strengths sacrificed in an unsuited system.

The last time we had great wide players we played them to their strengths and it was fruitful. Then we got all interested in having these wide players become more forward like and inverted, it's never paid off really. Hazard's been the only respectable option.

10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Again no one wants to ask the question why Mikel is not just first choice CM besides Fabregas, but also first choice CB ahead of the much taller Matic.  

And once more evidence as to why CB is the one place in the squad where you can be understaffed.

I've no idea why. As for understaffing the CB department,not for me I would rather have a bona fide centre back as opposed to mikel.

9 hours ago, cam4blue said:

A regular on the bench may be. A regular visitor to the training camp.

Anything more they wouldn't be selling be him to us now would they? this and the fact that we are paying him reportedly ~90k. No way, but we pay the same to Oscar if reports are to be believed.

2014-15  Pedro started 15 league Games, and another 20 he took part in as substitute : for approx. 20 min each.  6 goals, 5 assists, 21 shots on target and 9 shots off target.  I know it qualifies as decent here, but when we are going out to Buy a player after having a team full of players with similar abilities. 

I know what I see.

But we

2 hours ago, kennypaul said:

I've no idea why. As for understaffing the CB department,not for me I would rather have a bona fide centre back as opposed to mikel.

But we do have a team full of CBs in reserves, on loans, on some other teams benches, and we keep buying them like they are bread in Soviet Russia at the height of Cold war. But we use Mikel? and all of our managers think "hey we got Mikel who apparently can't defend, but ...CB is ok"? yeah NO?

1 hour ago, earthshine said:

But we do have a team full of CBs in reserves, on loans, on some other teams benches, and we keep buying them like they are bread in Soviet Russia at the height of Cold war. But we use Mikel? and all of our managers think "hey we got Mikel who apparently can't defend, but ...CB is ok"? yeah NO?

I will never, ever understand the logic behind buying Djilobodji, Hector and Miazga. What are these guys supposed to do that Chalobah, Clarke-Salter, Christensen, Tomori and even Kalas - can't?

If they were really young I could understand - the hope of finding a gem or  at least get good resale value.

But they're not, and they're not even good enough to be trusted as backup. I just can't think of ONE good reason to buy them - anyone?