fillerywhereru

Expectations For 2016/17 Season?

255 posts in this topic

Very hard at this point to make much of a prediction on what state we'll be in ... Experience of new managers and standard issue supporter pessimism has me expecting very little. I can't see this finally being the summer the board decide to give the manager a squad, and it's the squad that matters. For all I keep hearing about what Conte likes, doesn't like, wants, doesn't want, does, doesn't do ... Well, it's all meaningless. A manager without a squad is peripheral.

It's hard to be optimistic looking at the rest of the league. United again have an actual manager, City have finally got rid of probably the worst manager in the league last season, Arsenal will steadfastly not get involved in anything serious while laying unshakeable claim to a CL place, Spurs are in good shape, Liverpool have a manager who I expect will be backed, and there are plenty of other teams to cause bother, not least the champions. It is hard for me to see us finishing above many of these teams.

Depends who we sign, if the players respond to Conte's methods, and how the other fancied teams do.  In other words, for the first time in years, it's difficult to see where we go next season.

In my opinion top 4 is easier than some of us on here think, our team may not be the strongest we have had over the last 10 years but it's still strong enough for a top 4 with some ease. They just need to apply themselves, it's more about mentality than quality, they have the quality but I have question marks over some of the player's mentality. 

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

In my opinion top 4 is easier than some of us on here think, our team may not be the strongest we have had over the last 10 years but it's still strong enough for a top 4 with some ease. They just need to apply themselves, it's more about mentality than quality, they have the quality but I have question marks over some of the player's mentality. 

Yes - though the easiest way for a manager to challenge mentality is to drop the player for someone almost as good.  Quantity rules.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes - though the easiest way for a manager to challenge mentality is to drop the player for someone almost as good.  Quantity rules.

When it's in quality, yes. But we all know that's not what you want, you just want numbers in general. But that's a discussion already had and for another thread.

I think if we can strengthen our core, that will dictate just how well we can possible do next season.

I'd take 4th place right now. The ONLY hope I have is that no European football allows conte to instil his ideas. This in turn COULD lead to a suprise upturn.

11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

That's quantity of quality.

I think it all boils down to what sort of club we want to be. If we are going to develop youth, then we need 16 top class players and the rest are to be youth who battle it out in a 26 man squad. If we just want to dominate, then we get 2 top class players for each outfield position, add 3 keepers and it's a 23 man squad full of quantity of quality. Can any manager keep 20 top class outfield players happy in today's football era? Loyalty isn't something easy to find in these times and at the moment we couldn't do it anyway because of lack of games and competitions.

My prediction for next season will most likely change during the summer but it won't drop below 4th, we had a freak season. We are the only team who had a freak season, every other top 4 team that didn't win the league simply threw their season away due to lack of quality and mentality. We started the season and quickly crashed and burned the season away, the rest of the big teams couldn't even take advantage; if we had been the same as last season we would have run away with the league; in doing so Leicester and Spurs would have started to fold at around 25 games in, not forgetting Arsenal.

Interesting phrase you use, freak season, I think perhaps it was in terms of how low we finished but in terms of our squad deteriorating maybe that has been coming for a while now. I wish I shared your optimism re a top 4 finish perhaps two or three good signing may change my mind.

2 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

Interesting phrase you use, freak season, I think perhaps it was in terms of how low we finished but in terms of our squad deteriorating maybe that has been coming for a while now. I wish I shared your optimism re a top 4 finish perhaps two or three good signing may change my mind.

Even with our squad deteriorating over the last few years, we are still capable of winning the title with what we are up against, or at least we were last season as I'm sure certain teams will buy big over the summer. Man City and Arsenal are the only two teams who are on our level of making us finish 3rd, Man Utd and Spurs are below us unless they spend massive amounts of money with us spending zero. We have had just one really really bad season and no one would have predicted a season so bad, some of us had slight reservations about not retaining the title but not finishing outside the top 4 let alone mid table.

Our starting XI is overall the strongest in the league, we have certain areas that need addressing but we still have less areas than other teams need in order to win the league; I'm referring to a normal league where Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and ourselves all turn up(I don't think Leicester will replicate their form and even Spurs will struggle if they don't buy big). The reason ours is stronger is because we have the most complete striker in the league(Costa, Aguero is the best but not the most versatile, Costa is still 2nd IMO is terms of quality). Fabregas is the best playmaker(what we are missing is players who make runs off the ball more). Hazard is the best player in the league. Terry is still the best captain and is at least on par with the best defender in terms of quality. Zouma is actually a lot better than we realise and was a huge loss. Our spine is still strong, we are missing one ball winner and someone to help Hazard in attack, also a full back; that's still alot less than what most teams need.

Quite simply, all things being equal, if we get the 2014/15 Eden Hazard next season, we move 15 points up the table. 

That's before we discuss any potential new signings. 

No Europe next season. Big plus.

Top 4 is easily in grasp. 

1 person likes this