fillerywhereru

Expectations For 2016/17 Season?

236 posts in this topic

It totally depends on who we get in this summer.

If Piet De Vissier, Roman's chief scout, is right, and this is going to be 'busy summer for Chelsea', and he'll be as busy as he was 'between 2003-2008', then we should be investing big money in big players this summer and strengthening considerably. 

If that happens, then without European football, and with Conte - a proven winner who took Juve from back to back 7th place finishes to champions, unbeaten, without too much investment - then we should definitely be challenging for the the title, top 3 at least, and winning a cup. 

We'll see.

Depends on the PGMOL. If Sky want lots of upsets in order to maximise their revenue, then I am sure the Premier League and their agents at PGMOL will be pleased to continue allowing the smaller clubs any amount of free fouls.

Top 3 and a cup.

on a personal note, I'd like to see some kids blooded in addition to a couple of big signings. 

As others have hinted, a lot hinges who sign over the summer. I think our squad is good enough for top four spot. The gross underachievement of last year I snot reflective of the quality of our squad. That said, the right reinforcements and a topnotch manager (I think Conte is very good manager) we should be title contenders next season.

58 minutes ago, Galol said:

The gross underachievement of last year I snot reflective of the quality of our squad. 

Best typo ever. ;;-)

I think we need to be realistic. There are so many holes in our squad and one transfer window will neither sort that out nor imbue any newcomers with a sense of togetherness. Far too many players on our books know they're on to a good thing salary-wise and will be extremely unwilling to bugger off to less money. I fear the sound of chickens coming home to roost after we won the league then rested entirely on our laurels last season. It will be very, very hard for those players to pull themselves together both individually and collectively without a massive change in ethos at the club.

Expectations? Probably not much better than last season given that the opposition will also be improving but from a position of greater strength.

I will wait and see who comes in the summer. Conte is a good coach, but he can't do miracles with the squad we have at the moment. After the embarrassment of last season, we clearly need new players, not one or two, and reinforcements in every position. The club should wake up and start to get new people. The sooner, the better. And after this, we can talk about expectations. 

Ok..we need to wait and see how Conte starts,who comes in and who moves on.before any real insight on next season can be really discussed..having said that I am of the opinion that of the "youngsters" RLC especially will not have a "breakout" season and especially early on most of the youngsters will not be seen..except possibly in preseason games .regrettable but I don't see Conte or the club risking a poor or sloppy start to the season.

1 hour ago, chara said:

Ok..we need to wait and see how Conte starts,who comes in and who moves on.before any real insight on next season can be really discussed..having said that I am of the opinion that of the "youngsters" RLC especially will not have a "breakout" season and especially early on most of the youngsters will not be seen..except possibly in preseason games .regrettable but I don't see Conte or the club risking a poor or sloppy start to the season.

I think the Man U experience this season reminds us how football has always been.  If you have to create a path for a young player to take him into the first team squad - then he is not good enough.  But if he is good enough, he will create that path himself, and bugger up all the carefully laid plans of the manager in the process.

Abrahams and Palmer have more chance of breaking through next season than anyone we saw last season.  Ake and Christensen from those on loan.