• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoblyBobly

euro watch 2016

Let's hope Russia don't meet Ukraine in one of the later rounds!
"Lose... or else we'll invade you again!"

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Unless you speak Russian you heard the brave English press accuse the Russians of telling fibs again.  Indeed some think that Russia has been encroaching on Nato (the guy in the clip is actually a Rear Admiral)

It is not violent, lawless or racist, nor a mess of a society.   Though of course It does have an axe to grind against the West.  When 224 people dies on a Russian commercial flight out of Egypt brought down by a terrorist bomb on board, not a single western leader offered any sympathy whatsoever.  Charlie Hebdo, off all magazines, printed this cartoon and this cover the nextweek

hebdo-617666.jpgCTn62E1U8AAwfd2.jpg

Needless to say Russia (leaders and press) were much more respectful follwoing the Paris attacks a few days later.  But you can see why this would make one angry - and I could tell you a hunderd other examples.

You say it's not violent or racist but it would take a brave man of colour to walk through many Russian City's late at night. I don't think it's an imaginary threat cooked up by Western media.

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't want to fall into the western picture of Russia as the bad guys here , they're a popular figure of demonization in the media but Adrian Durham on Talk Sport just said the flare gun that was "smuggled" into the ground was used to signal a choreographed attack by Russian ultras on England supporters.

How "we" can get into trouble for that is beyond me.

Do you know what, there's a little part of me that would quite like us to be banned from this tournament for England fans just reacting under extreme provocation from weaponed up baraclava wearing Russian thugs, or maybe being singled out for harsher treatment by UEFA because we have "form".  No doubt the FA would squeal like little pigs at the injustice of that . I would simply refer the FA them to Chelsea v Tottenham 2015/16 season.  

Holymoly   

A bit late on the scene but I've only just sobered up. I've just got one word.

Wales

I'll just leave that there.

Holymoly   
11 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Do you know what, there's a little part of me that would quite like us to be banned from this tournament for England fans just reacting under extreme provocation from weaponed up baraclava wearing Russian thugs, or maybe being singled out for harsher treatment by UEFA because we have "form".  No doubt the FA would squeal like little pigs at the injustice of that . I would simply refer the FA them to Chelsea v Tottenham 2015/16 season.  

Just a matter of time before it comes out that it is our supporters being wholly responsible for the riots as well as the Middle Eastern conflict and climate change in general.

I'm pretty sure that if England did get banned then that would be the EU referendum decided.

21 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I'm pretty sure that if England did get banned then that would be the EU referendum decided.

Great point.  Maybe that is all part of the master plan.  It is called hybrid warfare I believe.

15 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Let's hope Russia don't meet Ukraine in one of the later rounds!
"Lose... or else we'll invade you again!"

As a photographer, Bob, Can you explain to me how come two years on there is still no photographic or satellite evidence of Russian troops in Ukraine.  When they turned up in Syria they had satellite evidence in days.  2 solid years of the Ukies shelling civilians 30km, from the Russian border and they still haven't been photographed.  US & Nato generals claimed there were 12 000 of them.Is it the camouflage jackets?

StebzAno   
13 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I would simply refer the FA them to Chelsea v Tottenham 2015/16 season.  

Nice comparison.  The similarities are very close and would be hypocritical for the English FA to complain of provocation.

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Just a matter of time before it comes out that it is our supporters being wholly responsible.

I'm actually surprised that the BBC are now reporting about well organised Russian groups of around 150 people, as oppose to solely focusing on English behaviour.  The only thing that's stayed under the carpet by comparison is the targeted attacks by Marseille Ultras and the sheer incompetence of the French riot police (albeit there was an article regarding Rebekah Vardy which is now hidden).  I guess there are reasons for that though.

Get to see a few Chelsea players and future manager today.

21 minutes ago, StebzAno said:

Nice comparison.  The similarities are very close and would be hypocritical for the English FA to complain of provocation.

I'm actually surprised that the BBC are now reporting about well organised Russian groups of around 150 people, as oppose to solely focusing on English behaviour.  The only thing that's stayed under the carpet by comparison is the targeted attacks by Marseille Ultras and the sheer incompetence of the French riot police (albeit there was an article regarding Rebekah Vardy which is now hidden).  I guess there are reasons for that though.

Get to see a few Chelsea players and future manager today.

On 5 Live this morning they made it fairly clear that, whilst yes there were a small number of England fans that on the Thursday and Friday had caused trouble, most of the pre and post match trouble around the Old Port area on Saturday was caused by local Ultras and tooled up mobs of Russians.

They also said that the local police reaction was at odds to previous events (where "snatch squads" had been used to target the main trouble makers) and harked back to old-days style of tear gas and hope for the best.

Blame was also being laid at UEFA's door for the inflexible way fixtures were organised... England v Russia on a Saturday night in Marseille was ALWAYS going to cause problems. Having both sets of supporters travelling north in basically the same direction (Lille where Russia next play ahead of England's game with Wales in Lens the following day are only 25 miles apart) was equally stupid, as was the decision to have England v Wales in the smallest of all the stadiums (when Lyon could have been used) and the suggestion that any ticketless England fans should watch the games in the fan zone in Lille (where they'll no doubt get a warm reception from whatever Russian fans that have stayed from the day before!)

One commentator (I can't remember who) said he'd recently been in to the Beeb to negotiate a new contract and stipulated that whatever happened, he was NOT going to go to Russia for the World Cup. He said something along the lines that while the atmosphere between the two sets of fans at the 2008 CL Final in Moscow was fine, the general atmosphere around the city was such that he didn't ever want to go back, and that it was a mistake to give the World Cup to Russia.

^Alan Green I understand.  Won't be missed.  Has his own show on World Service (dreadful show, some interesting guest though) and close to the BBC line on Russia.

Plenty on here who were actually in the crowd - did they feel equally threatened?  

A while since I have been there, but the only threat I found was the ladies that stare straight back at you.  That was intimidating.

StebzAno   

Quite liked Morata's performance today, Czech Rep defended well though.  Next up Courtois and Hazard... and Nainggolan vs Manager Conte.  Looking forward to this one.