Forum Administrator

IMPORTANT FORUM NEWS

177 posts in this topic

I would be happy to set up a S/O for a fiver a month, if that's going to help.

As much as there are people here I don't agree with and some who, to be honest, I don't get on with, I love being able to celebrate our shared victories and commiserate on the defeats and I love the enthusiasm of posters such as James, SD, DWMH, Seafoot, HJ99 and JaneB and others and am very grateful that the admins put in so much time and effort in making this such a wonderful place.

1 person likes this

I would definitely prefer a monthly DD to a once-a-year lump sum...

A possible idea with good timing. How about we set up our own mini league in a fantasy football competition. We could use the telegraph or the sun site etc etc.

Someone set up a donation page to play the competition. Let's say £10 to enter with 50% of the revenue raised goes towards paying for the site, with the other 50% to be shared out across the first three in the table at end of the season.

Surely we can get close to 100 entrants which generates £500 towards site maintenance a year, the remainder to be covered by donatations each month.

Creates a fun talking point on the site, whilst hopefully generating £500 per season for site costs.

Thoughts?

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

A possible idea with good timing. How about we set up our own mini league in a fantasy football competition. We could use the telegraph or the sun site etc etc.

Someone set up a donation page to play the competition. Let's say £10 to enter with 50% of the revenue raised goes towards paying for the site, with the other 50% to be shared out across the first three in the table at end of the season.

Surely we can get close to 100 entrants which generates £500 towards site maintenance a year, the remainder to be covered by donatations each month.

Creates a fun talking point on the site, whilst hopefully generating £500 per season for site costs.

Thoughts?

I like the idea, but I would say £20 would be a better figure since that would both make it more interesting and rake in more site costs. That said, I am aware that may not be possible for everyone. 

Some sort of fundraiser isn't a bad idea at all. Could we get 20-odd users to come along and to play in a match - donations to play and to cover any pitch rental cost but with sufficient funds leftover for a years hosting of this site? Could become a regular fixture - something to organise and talk about in the close season? I know the posters on these boards are scattered around the world but the majority are London based and there are dozens of venues to hire.

Just an idea.

Lots of good ideas. 

We simply can't let this site close down. With so much history on here it would be downright depressing if it happened. 

A monthly fee of £5 or a yearly fee is both something I'd sign up for in a heart beat. How about we get the option for a monthly or yearly fee?

Bob's suggestion that your login is simply disconnected if you haven't paid is a great idea. Would definitely weed out the trolls and lurkers who's just here to stir things up anyway. Think it would raise the quality of the site immensely. 

Would that be possible to implement Peter, without too much costs involved? 

Fundraisers? Fantasy Football leagues? All OK I suppose, but surely a yearly subscription that can be paid either monthly or as a lump sum (maybe a small discount for the one-off payment) is the more obvious route to travel. The other ideas can help in times of "emergencies" perhaps, or as a way of creating a contingency fund of some sort. A fundraiser like a game between two sides mean some 20-26 people would be paying for everything leaving it a free service for the rest. Is that fair?

Come on guys, let's not over-complicate things... a simple subscription for everyone who wants to be a member of this community seems to make the most sense.

1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

Fundraisers? Fantasy Football leagues? All OK I suppose, but surely a yearly subscription that can be paid either monthly or as a lump sum (maybe a small discount for the one-off payment) is the more obvious route to travel. The other ideas can help in times of "emergencies" perhaps, or as a way of creating a contingency fund of some sort. A fundraiser like a game between two sides mean some 20-26 people would be paying for everything leaving it a free service for the rest. Is that fair?

Come on guys, let's not over-complicate things... a simple subscription for everyone who wants to be a member of this community seems to make the most sense.

The site needs the floaters and the occasional posters - those people are not going to pay but if you do look through the threads then there are loads of them. They do contribute to the overall composition of the site and they are needed. So you are going to get a small minority paying for a larger number but personally I don't find that a repulsive notion. 

This mustn't happen....I keep in touch at many levels with this site...means a lot to me being so far from SB.... a subscription surely is the only way to go with maybe a limit of x amount of posts per month for the "floaters"

Count me in for subscription or contribution..

(How would I get through the season without the toe to toe slugging between you guys?)

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Lots of good ideas. 

We simply can't let this site close down. With so much history on here it would be downright depressing if it happened. 

A monthly fee of £5 or a yearly fee is both something I'd sign up for in a heart beat. How about we get the option for a monthly or yearly fee?

Bob's suggestion that your login is simply disconnected if you haven't paid is a great idea. Would definitely weed out the trolls and lurkers who's just here to stir things up anyway. Think it would raise the quality of the site immensely. 

Would that be possible to implement Peter, without too much costs involved? 

This site is therapy for me!  Where I can come to celebrate (not much of that recently) or commiserate and just enjoy all the banter, even if it does get out of hand occasionally!  The dry humour is something else too and I love reading all the different opinions, not to mention the fact that I've learned so much in the process.

I've also made a wonderful friend on here and we've been to Chelsea together so what could be better?

Very happy to pay a monthly/yearly fee or whatever is decided.

1 person likes this