• Current Donation Goals

Forum Administrator

IMPORTANT FORUM NEWS

Sea foot   

Top site.

Personally I have been off sick for 9 months and looking to be a while yet so money is tight obviously. But a small donation a month could be found to keep this going.

One thing about making it a subscription paid site, would it make it harder to police and ban someone when they pay to be on here. Just a thought. The best thing about this place is that it is reasonably well behaved.

JaneB   
1 hour ago, Sea foot said:

Top site.

Personally I have been off sick for 9 months and looking to be a while yet so money is tight obviously. But a small donation a month could be found to keep this going.

One thing about making it a subscription paid site, would it make it harder to police and ban someone when they pay to be on here. Just a thought. The best thing about this place is that it is reasonably well behaved.

Wishing you better Sea foot :)

I'd be happy to contribute an upfront yearly fee coupled with a Fantasy Football pool payment. I've only ever been an occasional poster, but this place is a league above all the others (WAGNH, The Shed End, Talk Chelsea, Twitter, etc) so it would be a shame to lose it (and all the post history).

Plus I still feel guilty about the whole Daily Mail/Ovrebo 'death threat' episode - so I'd be paying my debt back if anything...

Although I am more a reader than a poster I would be miss it badly..

I am happy to pay in whatever format is proposed but preferably a DD option

I think this is the problem, there are only 10 people would have replied to this post. That would mean that the same 10 people would have to stump up £12 etc month to keep it going.   

I emailed 12,000 email addresses, it a message on Twitter and had around 15 responses from you guys or people that I know. No one else.

I think the best thing to do would be to enable donations that have to be paid a week before the invoice has to be paid, if the donation isn't available the site will have to be taken down.

Subs won't work as we will end up with a forum with 10 people posting. That would be boring. The other site setup for the exact reasons of subscriptions, Clubcfcnet, even with the ticket forum is virtually dead.

aniaw   

I haven't posted here in nearly a decade, (where the hell has the time gone??), but came out of retirement to say I'm more than happy to chip in an amount to pay monthly for this place. I read it daily and it'd definitely be a loss to be sunk into the internet archives because of funds. 

2 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

I think this is the problem, there are only 10 people would have replied to this post. That would mean that the same 10 people would have to stump up £12 etc month to keep it going.   

I emailed 12,000 email addresses, it a message on Twitter and had around 15 responses from you guys or people that I know. No one else.

I think the best thing to do would be to enable donations that have to be paid a week before the invoice has to be paid, if the donation isn't available the site will have to be taken down.

Subs won't work as we will end up with a forum with 10 people posting. That would be boring. The other site setup for the exact reasons of subscriptions, Clubcfcnet, even with the ticket forum is virtually dead.

I've been away for a while too, but would be sad to see the site go.  Donations before the invoice seems sensible to me, with a target / countdown perhaps so we can see how much is needed.  Maybe also start with a special "save the site" donations page to build a buffer,  I'm in.  

xCELERYx   
3 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

Speaking from a personal point of view, I only came across this whole situation yesterday when I posted because it showed as the last topic posted in. The title caught my attention and the rest has unfolded. Ultimately, you can send out all the emails and whatever you like, but there's probably a high percentage of those email addresses being inactive, dummy emails for online sign ups (like mine), etc which go unchecked. So it's quite likely such notifications never really caught the attention of the recipient.

I disagree a bit with a subscription fee not working, I think it would be a reasonable approach and wouldn't stunt activity a great deal based on those who've expressed interest in this thread being the more active members. However, maybe instead of a sub needed to access the site in general, it merely grants you full access to the site? A free sign up would still be possible but simply limits access. For example, a free user wouldn't be able to access the Match Day thread, it becomes a perk for those who pay. Would also help limit the Match Day trolls, albeit you would lose some of the friendly opposition fans who pop in but that's a really small percentage as it is. 

Having a donate option is just going to result in what happens now, people will ignore it and or be complacent about it, and we'll all find the forum back in this situation again quick smart. While the same users will be the ones who contribute time and time again.

Unfortunately, there's not one magical approach to provide a fix that will suit everyone. That said, hopefully we can find some sort of system that will allow this place to live on.

Edited by zaffo

Rob B   

Trouble is, donations will fizzle out after the first month or two.

Getting 40 people to pay £3 a month (minimum), seems like the most sensible bet to me. I could probably think of 20 people who are on here daily, straight off the top of my head. You're halfway there before any new registrations. And I would allow people to pay more if they can afford it. Only takes a few to pay £5 or £10 and it becomes very do-able 

I understand comparisons will be drawn with Clubcfcnet, but this probably didn't work because the main forum was still free.