• Current Donation Goals

Forum Administrator

IMPORTANT FORUM NEWS

9 hours ago, Rob B said:

Trouble is, donations will fizzle out after the first month or two.

Getting 40 people to pay £3 a month (minimum), seems like the most sensible bet to me. I could probably think of 20 people who are on here daily, straight off the top of my head. You're halfway there before any new registrations. And I would allow people to pay more if they can afford it. Only takes a few to pay £5 or £10 and it becomes very do-able 

I understand comparisons will be drawn with Clubcfcnet, but this probably didn't work because the main forum was still free. 

I suppose it depends on how much people want to keep the site going. If donations fizzle out so will the site. From what Pete's saying it sounds like the only option. It sounds to me that  more helpers will emerge from the woodwork when they realise what's going on. We can't let it die surely?

3 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

the only problem with subs is that if you only get 20 people, then I have to keep the forum open for a year to honour the people who subscribe.

Well Pete, you don't really, as you could simply refund their money, if the numbers don't add up.

The problem here (and this has been so for many years) is that the whole operation is under-funded, because it basically comes out of one person's pocket. Fine if that person has the resources to fund the indulgence indefinitely, and without the need for outside revenue. Without donations, volunteers, and the sporadic advertising revenue, CFCnet would have been extinct year's ago (and almost was!). Many people genuinely want the site/forums to survive and prosper, but most simply aren't prepared to part with money to make sure that happens, so it unfortunately falls to the few.

As far as suggestions go, here's a few to throw around (assuming that finding a cheaper hosting option has already been explored):

Hand over CFCnet to a) an already established site/forums company who'd be prepared to run the whole show as a free site (funded by advertising) - I'm sure companies like that exist, yes? - or b) A group of current/past members forms to take over CFCnet, and continue to run it as a free site.

Imo, subs won't work, and neither will contiuing to rely of donations. And let's face it - running costs of under 1,500 quid per year are not exactly an earth-shattering amount for for a dedicated internet busines, or for a collective ownership - it becomes a problem when one person is trying to fund it all out his pocket.

For many years, I used to be an "Internet Reseller" with Heart Internet. I stopped about a year or so ago.

Costs to me were around £40/month and I had unlimited web space and unlimited bandwidth which I could parcel up and sell on as an internet host to those looking for web sites hosting packages. As the "reseller" there were hundreds of different tools and options I could either bundle in to the hosting package or sell as add-ons. Forums were one of them.

Obviously I don't know what the breakdown of the £120/month the site owner pays, but from where I'm standing it seems to be to be about three times what he needs to pay!

Edited by Bob Singleton

Very happy to make a contribution. This is the one place I come to for therapy and I dip in and out depending on how the sides doing. Honestly think there is enough willing here we just need to come up with a clear cut plan. Every now and then I try other forums such as the shed end and find myself dissapointed every time. 

Seems silly with all the money spent on players like Papa that we might lose such a key component of our fan communication. 

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Well Pete, you don't really, as you could simply refund their money, if the numbers don't add up.

The problem here (and this has been so for many years) is that the whole operation is under-funded, because it basically comes out of one person's pocket. Fine if that person has the resources to fund the indulgence indefinitely, and without the need for outside revenue. Without donations, volunteers, and the sporadic advertising revenue, CFCnet would have been extinct year's ago (and almost was!). Many people genuinely want the site/forums to survive and prosper, but most simply aren't prepared to part with money to make sure that happens, so it unfortunately falls to the few.

As far as suggestions go, here's a few to throw around (assuming that finding a cheaper hosting option has already been explored):

Hand over CFCnet to a) an already established site/forums company who'd be prepared to run the whole show as a free site (funded by advertising) - I'm sure companies like that exist, yes? - or b) A group of current/past members forms to take over CFCnet, and continue to run it as a free site.

Imo, subs won't work, and neither will contiuing to rely of donations. And let's face it - running costs of under 1,500 quid per year are not exactly an earth-shattering amount for for a dedicated internet busines, or for a collective ownership - it becomes a problem when one person is trying to fund it all out his pocket.

The most sensible idea I think (possibly even to the club if some independence can be maintained alonside inevitable lnks/ads to the official site  but I gather there is history there)

I won't be putting any money in, my financial situation means there are more important things not being paid for.  I will be very greatful for anyone who does, but greatfulness of an order or two higher for the mod (or is it mods). 

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

For many years, I used to be an "Internet Reseller" with Heart Internet. I stopped about a year or so ago.

Costs to me were around £40/month and I had unlimited web space and unlimited bandwidth which I could parcel up and sell on as an internet host to those looking for web sites hosting packages. As the "reseller" there were hundreds of different tools and options I could either bundle in to the hosting package or sell as add-ons. Forums were one of them.

Obviously I don't know what the breakdown of the £120/month the site owner pays, but from where I'm standing it seems to be to be about three times what he needs to pay!

Hi Bob I have tried all sorts of hosting with various companies. The current hosting is that the only one that has been reliable. The forum is resource Hungary an needs multiple processors and additional memory. 

Being realistic subs won't work as we will end up with 20 people chatting amongst themselves. 

All we need really is a business to pay £1500 per year for advertising. That's a bargain really for the amount of traffic possible.

Only just seen this. A real shame. The only other forum I've ever used, a music one, looks like it is in a similar position now; I expect a fair few online communities are buckling under the weight of the following they were able to amass in better times. The arse has well and truly fallen out of online advertising.

Like others I would be wiling to contribute a small amount monthly to keep things going, but in all honesty I couldn't tell you for how long and definitely could not justify large upfront sums. I accept the reasoning that subs could create a small, insular community and therefore defeat the object.

The only realistic solution I could see is plain charity. Has any thought been given to trying to approach the club or even a player? Terry has good form for supporting fans and could, based on the finances described, keep this place going for years with his loose change. It is a long shot of course, but seems the only way I can imagine getting the requisite money up front, knowing how long it'll last and preserving the actual community.

Perhaps it is worth users who want to keep winding each other up (myself included!) having a think about where we could migrate if it comes to it ...

7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

option b sounds good if enough are interested 

I'm not a prolific poster / user but willing to help if I can

Sciatika   
6 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

Hi Bob I have tried all sorts of hosting with various companies. The current hosting is that the only one that has been reliable. The forum is resource Hungary an needs multiple processors and additional memory. 

Being realistic subs won't work as we will end up with 20 people chatting amongst themselves. 

All we need really is a business to pay £1500 per year for advertising. That's a bargain really for the amount of traffic possible.

Not sure who you are using but the cost sounds about right. A dedicated server of the kind of size you'd need with the company I use would come out just under £1300/annum. A VPS would be cheaper, but nowhere as performant.

What is need are two or three site sponsors for whom Chelsea fans are a market worth advertising to. They would get their logo and message somewhere on every page. You have to rule out the club and megastore because they have a virtual monopoly on our trade, Probably not true any more, but you could assume that the people here either live in the area or visit every other Saturday. Local garages, clubs, cafes or whatever. Pubs? Or you could make the assumption that the people here also play the game. People who make kit are out of our league but maybe a local, independent shop that sells it. It's very difficult, as you know.

Edited by Sciatika

chara   

Over here College Football has at every College a system of basically sponsors,,,can't remember the term they use and can't be bothered to look it up...but my point is that there are people who contribute but many get the benefit..how about a "group" sign up hopefully bringing in enough to keep the site open...I understand that not everyone can justify making a donation,,I have been in that situation and if you can, contribute, if you can't just enjoy the site,,

Droy up front says he can't justify the outlay....that's fine..I would miss his (and others!) contributions to the site and would feel no animosity or "not fair" if he or anyone else was unable to contribute.

I am in the position to make a modest contribution and am sure many others could.

I don't know how to organize such a "drive" but am sure someone here does..and can...