• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Michy Batshuayi: Joins Valencia On Season Long Loan

16 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

I believe I read something before that he's only played around 118 minutes or so collectively against top 4 sides for us. His PL ratio is a goal every 84 minutes apparently, while his Belgium ratio is a goal very 69 minutes. 

He's scored goals at basically every club he's been at when given a genuine opportunity. While his overall game lacks in some areas, he's a goal scorer and when he's in and around goal he does the business more often than not. I think we get a little lost with expecting strikers to basically do everything (contribute to build up, come deep, etc etc), when what really defines them is how often they put the ball in the back of net.

There's no reason why he shouldn't be afforded the same leniency and opportunity as what Morata has done, it's not like he could do much worse.

Problem is 70-80% of his goals have come through the domestic cups against lower league sides/reserve teams, Champions League whipping boys (Qarabag) and awful already relegated sides (Sunderland, of which his goals were 3rd and 4th in a 4-1 win with both coming in added time). Apart from this his only decent goals have been tap ins (WBA, Watford away in his first season, Atleti away) and the 4-2 game against Watford at home last season but lets face it Watford capitulated in that game like they did numberous times last season. 

Furthermore, when he is not scoring he makes Morata look like Cristiano. 

Edited by Conte Kante

kev61   
11 hours ago, Leo91 said:

How many games has Bats played for us consecutively before being dropped to be labelled useless in the long term ?

I was talking about Morata and Giroud not bats.Bats cannot be any worse than Morata so it should be an easy decision for Sarri - get Bats back and see how he performs,and if he doesn't perform get rid of him and Morata - common sense don't you think?

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

Problem is 70-80% of his goals have come through the domestic cups against lower league sides/reserve teams, Champions League whipping boys (Qarabag) and awful already relegated sides (Sunderland, of which his goals were 3rd and 4th in a 4-1 win with both coming in added time). Apart from this his only decent goals have been tap ins (WBA, Watford away in his first season, Atleti away) and the 4-2 game against Watford at home last season but lets face it Watford capitulated in that game like they did numberous times last season. 

Oh, I am aware of the nature of his goals. On the same token, they're generally been the games he's been afforded an opportunity against. That's not necessarily fault of his own. If he was afforded more chances against better opposition then he may well replicate this output, he may not. He's not really played enough football against such sides to draw a real conclusion in that area. 

On the same token, scoring against these sort of lower rung sides seems to be good enough for players like Morata and Willian when justifying their goal returns, performances or place in the side, despite having greater opportunities. It would be unfair to discredit the goals Michy has scored because of the quality opposition he's faced, yet not apply that same rule to other players in the side.

xCELERYx   
9 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

..and I think most of us would agree that what we are missing in our squad is that kind of 'fox in the box' whether it's as an impact sub or good cover for Giroud and Morata.  Sending him out on loan was not only shortsighted but quite frankly a little dim.

Wholeheartedly agree. 

15 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Either way, just because Batshuayi scores twice against Scotland, doesn't mean he's the answer for us. 

Not saying he is, however its unfair to rubbish Batshuayi when the clubs lead strike cannot even get minutes on the pitch against a very poor Croatia

paulw66   
2 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Not saying he is, however its unfair to rubbish Batshuayi when the clubs lead strike cannot even get minutes on the pitch against a very poor Croatia

But that was the point being made, that I was responding to. The inference was that we were silly to let Batshuayi go on loan.

18 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I don't suppose he wanted to stay here and be a perma-sub......... he is a brilliant sub to bring on but he has let himself down when he has been given starts. 

I don't suppose he did but I'm not impressed with Morata, you're not impressed Giroud and Sarri bought neither of them so we are not really sure what he thinks. Lack of form and injuries could have seen Bats get his chance and make an impression . Compare our team to Spurs. What half decent striker is going to want to go there with Kanes position cemented in. With us I'd say that position is more up for grabs. Who knows, Sarri might experiment with a 4-4-2 and Bats might excel as a second striker.

Anyway it's not about what Bats 'wants' its about what we might possibly need. Or are we really that destitute that we need Valencia's help to pay 30% of Bats' wages? 

15 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

That's not a problem it's an observation. I'd like the chance to observe him against top quality, then see if he can be as wasteful as Morata. At least then we will know where we stand. If he starts banging them in for Valencia (as he did for Dortmund on loan) we will no doubt use the same excuse that it's all down to rubbish opposition. What is this loan going to achieve for us?

18 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

On the same token, scoring against these sort of lower rung sides seems to be good enough for players like Morata and Willian when justifying their goal returns, performances or place in the side, despite having greater opportunities. It would be unfair to discredit the goals Michy has scored because of the quality opposition he's faced, yet not apply that same rule to other players in the side.

I am not trying to sound patronising here but have you had the oppotunity to watch him live? I ask as I have witnessed most of his performances owing to my season ticket and ability to go to most of our games away as well. From my perspective Bats all round game is really really poor. I say this as he is an incrediably static forward, as he makes hardly any discernable runs off the ball, his close controll is average at best and he is not able to hold the ball up either. For me, the only way he makes it here is if we go two up front and tell him to literally play the width of the posts and try to only play between the penalty spot and six yard area as he only real quality of note is his finishing. 

Honestly, when I see him play I struggle to think of a forward that has been as poor as him and have to go back to Furlong. As Kezman at least had an ability to get around and make a bit of a nuisance of himself.

Furthermore, this playing style of his also explains why he has been noticeable booed by Chelsea fans before and his substitution celebrated because whilst he has decent stats these mask his all round game. This constrast with Morata who whilst having poor stats generally gets the backing of the crowd (bar the back end if last season when he kept falling down) as he does a lot of good work off the ball that is not necessarily noticed. 

Now do not get me wrong, Morata needs to go through a remarkable up turn or be replaced. However, Bats is in no way or shape the answer. 

Edited by Conte Kante
  • Like 4