• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Michy Batshuayi

paulw66   

I think whatever goes on in the German league needs to be judged accordingly. how many goals did Pizzaro and Kalou bang in? Batshuyai will bang in goals for fun, but that doesn't tell us how ready he is for Chelsea. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I think whatever goes on in the German league needs to be judged accordingly. how many goals did Pizzaro and Kalou bang in? Batshuyai will bang in goals for fun, but that doesn't tell us how ready he is for Chelsea. 

True. But it's not as if he wasn't scoring when he played for us. His actual scoring record was fairly decent even if the rest of his play was lacking. 

I think the question is if he would have improved his overall play if given the chance by Conte. Instead Conte went out of his way not to play him. 

I'm actually pretty fed up with the way our managers have sent players into exile by not giving them a chance to prove themselves (Lukaku, Salah and De Bruyne come to mind).

I'm not saying that Bats falls into their category but we won't know his potential unless we put some faith in the guy. With Morata injured now wouldve been a good time.

Let's hope Giroud starts scoring anyway and Bats come back next season a better player.

Managed two goals against the bottom of the league Koln (18th) and one against Hamburg who are 17th. A totally unchallenging loan so far, at least the fitness and confidence will set him up nicely for the rest of the season. Shame only one of those games will be indicative of the level required of a Chelsea player.

3 hours ago, Original 21 said:

I'm not saying that Bats falls into their category but we won't know his potential unless we put some faith in the guy. 

Same could be said of the managers.

Sadly it seems to be the mentality of our club.

45 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Same could be said of the managers.

Sadly it seems to be the mentality of our club.

I suppose it could be argued that one is the result of the other. Club doesn't give managers time, who in turn (in this results oriented environment) feel they can't afford to give players they don't 'trust' a chance.

xCELERYx   
9 hours ago, exiledblue said:

but there were plenty of comments on here about Bats being a nice guy but not having control/movement/vision (take your pick) maybe in Germany he has just found his level. I confess I dont watch any German football but I always considered outside of Bayen and a few others  it wasnt a high quality league

See, a lot of individuals on here want it both ways. They'll have ragged on Michy about various aspects of his game whenever he did get an opportunity, and or under-performed. Then as soon as he leaves, he goes on to have an immediate impact elsewhere and it then becomes more about "why wasn't he given greater opportunity", "why didn't he start more when Morata was out" etc. 

I agree in that he should have been given far more opportunity here, I think he's a good striker. The problem is that, we never played in a way that utilised his biggest strengths and instead asked him to play a role that he wasn't ever going to excel in completely. Because of that, he was right to go. We need to do better as a club in terms of making better use of strikers who aren't Target Man types or possess similar qualities. There's also far too much focus on a striker having to do every facet of the game well, not just score goals. 

His most recent goal was a typical poachers effort - including a good run and good movement to find space within the 18 yard box. So far his 3 goals for Dortmund have all come from the sort of service and situations he doesn't get there. Makes a world of difference. 

Hopefully he continues to do well, do not begrudge him whatsoever. Hopefully a good loan spell will be enough for the club to take notice and look to do a better job of integrating him into the side. 

xCELERYx   
3 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Managed two goals against the bottom of the league Koln (18th) and one against Hamburg who are 17th. A totally unchallenging loan so far, at least the fitness and confidence will set him up nicely for the rest of the season. Shame only one of those games will be indicative of the level required of a Chelsea player.

The quality of the opposition is fair enough - not the most challenging thus far. In saying that, it's a little inconsistent to dismiss Batshuayi's start to his Dortmund loan when we've got the likes of Willian, Morata and Pedro who've all scored the bulk of their goals this season against some of the worst sides in the league and are being praised for their performances. 

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

I suppose it could be argued that one is the result of the other. Club doesn't give managers time, who in turn (in this results oriented environment) feel they can't afford to give players they don't 'trust' a chance.

Both certainly go hand in hand. We've struggled for years under various different managers when it comes to integrating strikers who are outside of that strong physical target man type. Crespo and Anelka are the only two who've really been successful here under the RA era and don't fit within that mould - even then Anelka had to spend the bulk of his career here playing out of position in a wider area. While Crespo was an elite level striker, but also had the benefit at times of playing with Drogba. 

It's somewhat annoying when you look at other clubs and how they've managed to make good use of players like Aguero, Torres, van Persie, van Nistelrooy, Vardy, Henry, Kane, etc over the years -  while we're stuck in this physical target man type loop.

jones   

Looking at next season, a CF trio of Morata, Giroud and Batshuayi is not looking like a PL winning trio the way things are looking now. Even if Batshuayi averages a goal per game for the rest of the season, I don't think he is guaranteed to come back and play an important part for us next season. We might need to spend big on someone who can actually offer Morata some competition, and use Giroud as an impact sub and CF3. Batshuayi has yet to show is a top PL striker, and half a season playing in the less competitive BL is not guaranteed to change that.

xCELERYx   
7 minutes ago, jones said:

Looking at next season, a CF trio of Morata, Giroud and Batshuayi is not looking like a PL winning trio the way things are looking now. Even if Batshuayi averages a goal per game for the rest of the season, I don't think he is guaranteed to come back and play an important part for us next season. We might need to spend big on someone who can actually offer Morata some competition, and use Giroud as an impact sub and CF3. Batshuayi has yet to show is a top PL striker, and half a season playing in the less competitive BL is not guaranteed to change that.

No one is a guarantee really. I mean, Morata has his questions marks still, and Giroud is still an unknown for us at this stage as well. 

Michy hasn't had the consistent chance to show if he's a top EPL striker or not. Granted his overall play hasn't look great in the limited chance has has gotten. He's played 239 minutes in the PL last season and 353 minutes so far this season. A grand total of 592 PL minutes - the equivalent of 6.5 90 minute games. With a return of 7 goals and 2 assists. On paper, he's got a chance of being a good goal scoring striker. Realistically though, his sample size is way too small to say at this stage.

Now, there's probably a good chance Michy isn't here next season - irrespective of his Dortmund form. I'd predict another loan before a sale, because I think if he's utilised in the right manner he's easily a 15 goal a season striker. He could essentially come back the following season and replace Giroud in the side once his contract expires. This would also allow us to target another quality CF this summer to bring in and help shoulder the workload with Morata - while adding someone who fits a bit better. Something alone the lines of...

Morata, Giroud, Belotti
Morata, Giroud, Immobile
Morata, Giroud, Icardi (if one wishes to be highly optimistic and all the stars align etc)

Would be a nice overall balance. 

Another two goals for Michy, vs Atalanta in the Europa League. Scored an equaliser and the winner in a 3-2 win.

Irrespective of how good or poor the opposition, a striker's job is to score and he's now got 5 in 3 games. Pleased for him.