• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Michy Batshuayi

xCELERYx   
17 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Well, Costa didn't struggle to score goals, and in the first 3 months of the season nor did Morata, who if he scores 4 or 5 more goals between now and the end of the season will end up close to 20 goals in his first season in English football. 

If you look at a lot of the recent poor results, it has been taking the chances that has been the problem. 

Costa usually ran hot for half of a season before goals dried up and performances dipped. As for Morata, this is simply typical of the player he is. The difference being that his hot streak this season was longer than usual. He's also still 10 goals away from getting 20 in the league - which is generally the minimum expected from a CF that plays for one of the top clubs. With his goals coming against the likes of Burnley, Leicester, Everton, Stoke, Man Utd, WBA, Newcastle and Brighton. Not the most prestigious list of opposition. While his record in the CL this season was dreadful. 1 goals vs Atletico in the opening group game and donuts from there on in. 

While taking chances has certainly been a huge issue for us and a large reason we've dropped points, our lack of creativity in other areas means there is a premium on the chances that do pop up. Add more creativity, that helps create more goal scoring opportunities, which allows for larger margin of error. 

paulw66   
On 3/30/2018 at 1:26 AM, kev61 said:

Morata has already got more goals than Drogba managed in his first season in the PL, having played one less game at this point.

Has definitely warranted another season.

Averages a goal every 159 minutes, which is more than acceptable. It is the lack of alternative in the first half of the season that was the problem. 

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Morata has already got more goals than Drogba managed in his first season in the PL, having played one less game at this point.

Averages a goal every 159 minutes, which is more than acceptable. It is the lack of alternative in the first half of the season that was the problem. 

I can't understand , other than our desperate struggle to score when he was injured where the intimation that Morata is a bad player comes from , his movement is excellent , his finishing has been good , his heading is top notch , what he needs to work on is his heart and confidence and the second part of that comes from the support and the manager .

In fairness to him he has also been dealt the hand that only Chelsea players get dealt , which is the ability of any and every defender to do whatsoever they like to him without risk of censure in any way shape or form , the referees are a disgrace in this country and manage games rather than apply the laws of the game accordingly.

He goes down easy sometimes but more often than not these days he goes down because he's been fouled and the refs blithely ignore it , I think they'd rather Costa was still here so they could send him off for giving something back , either way they're a disgrace.

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I can't understand , other than our desperate struggle to score when he was injured where the intimation that Morata is a bad player comes from , his movement is excellent , his finishing has been good , his heading is top notch , what he needs to work on is his heart and confidence and the second part of that comes from the support and the manager .

In fairness to him he has also been dealt the hand that only Chelsea players get dealt , which is the ability of any and every defender to do whatsoever they like to him without risk of censure in any way shape or form , the referees are a disgrace in this country and manage games rather than apply the laws of the game accordingly.

He goes down easy sometimes but more often than not these days he goes down because he's been fouled and the refs blithely ignore it , I think they'd rather Costa was still here so they could send him off for giving something back , either way they're a disgrace.

Agree on this 100%.

39 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

vs Drogba, 1 less game, but 2 more starts, fewer sub appearances on (and I'd bet, fewer off too).  I'm pretty confident Drogba would have done better on a mins per goal basis.
But both have done well on goals.

True, Morata is not a bad player.  The criticism stems from:

• Conte this season even more than last, has left 1 man up front and expected him to keep the ball - not Morata's forte.
  • We just sold Costa who does that excellently
  • Not long ago we even had Drogba who was superb at it.
  • Being not fit/injured at a time when we really needed every starter out there.  (
  • Lack of an obvious hard edge - which looks worse when it follows Costa and Drogba,  and alongside Hazard who plays to get fouls.
  • A £40m player we paid £60m for

None of these are really fair criticism of Morata, just of manager, fans/circumstances and club.  I have a lot of sympathy for Morata.
I certainly don't see him as the main thing to change for next season.  Indeed Morata+Giroud + Bats/or/Abraham we have a good strike force given the level we will be pitching at next season (3rd to 5th and a cup)

Drogba in 04/05 PL: 10 goals and 5 assists in 1631 minutes (163 mins per goal)

Costa in 14/15 PL: 20 goals and 3 assists in 2083 minutes (104 mins per goal)

Morata in 17/18 PL: 11 goals and 5 assists in 1747 minutes (159 mins per goal)

I actually thought Morata looked ok v spurs he at least tried even if he came off second best at times against a strong defence. I thought some of his layoffs were very good but his team mates didn't read them or wernt quick enough to them which let him down. He didn't have much to work with chances wise and still got a goal. 

As for Batshuayi it seems he is doing well in Germany away from the pressure cooker that is Chelsea in the premier league. He would have been slaughtered for missing some of the chances Giroud has.

Quick word on Morata (seeing as the Bats thread is leaning that way at the moment), I actually think he's had an OK first season - circumstances have gone against him this season as much as anything else, but he will have learnt a lot from it and will be so much better for it next season. As frustrating as he has been at times, I'm still confident he can be a success here if we're patient with him.

Now Bats, if we were being linked with a striker at Dortmund who was on the form Bats is currently in, we would all be saying 'Get him in now!' and I really hope we get him back next season because I think used in a way that suits his game he can do well for us in this league (he won't be our 25 goal a season striker, but sure he can chip in with enough goals when called upon). My only concern is with his confidence, I get the feeling he loses it pretty quick and so any long period without playing time and his head may go again, but with an experienced head like Giroud around him that might just help that aspect and could be a good thing. Morata, Giroud and Batshuayi is decent for next season I think.

However, I don't think he will be back here next season, obviously it will depend on who the manager is and what his views on him are, but mainly I just don't think he'll want to come back... why risk coming back, sitting on the bench for 90 mins most games having your confidence drained, when you can be playing week in week out as the main man for a good side in one of the big leagues?

Hopefully he's done enough to get his World Cup place secured.

Sciatika   

I have the feeling that, if he came back, he would occupy the Kalou role in terms of style of play. Given that we don't really have a role for a second striker, he would simply become a bench warmer, would not get enough games to shine and then become a scapegoat for the fan's ire. I have seen how the likes of FloMo, Mikel and Kalou were treated. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.