• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Official: Chelsea Sign Michy Batshuayi

Recommended Posts

On 2017-10-22 at 11:29 PM, Michael Tucker said:

My money's on Conte, look what a great job he's doing with no players..............:).

He'll be gone within 7 months. I'd be shell-shocked to see any other outcome...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jones   
2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He'll be gone within 7 months. I'd be shell-shocked to see any other outcome...

Conte:

  • Season 1: PL champions, FA Cup finalists (way above target)
  • Season 2: Currently top 4 PL, top of a very tough CL group (probably around this season's target)
  • Net spend over three transfer window: 28mp (United has spent 10x and City 11x than Conte in the same period)

Shell-shocked, really? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jones said:

Conte:

  • Season 1: PL champions, FA Cup finalists (way above target)
  • Season 2: Currently top 4 PL, top of a very tough CL group (probably around this season's target)
  • Net spend over three transfer window: 28mp (United has spent 10x and City 11x than Conte in the same period)

Shell-shocked, really? 

Not a reflection on Conte. Have you seen how our board deals with managers in the last 12 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jones   

Every sacking were related to continuous poor form, a mismatch of results and ambition.

Conte has already proven he is capable of winning, and turning bad situations good. He has done so with limited budgets. That counts for a lot in the overall equation - club already knows he has it in him. For them to be convinced we are better off sacking him and replacing him with someone else, the situation will have to turn pretty bad (e.g., Mourinho Mk 2). For comparison, Conte has more PL points this season after game week 9, than Mourinho had when he got the boot two years ago in game week 16 ...!

Currently, he is quite a lot off a situation where the club will have no choice but to sack him. He is top 4 in the PL and if we win the next two games, we have closed the gap to second place. I don't doubt for a second the club will sack him when he reaches that point of no return, but I am arguing we are veeeery far away from a situation like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jones said:

Every sacking were related to continuous poor form, a mismatch of results and ambition.

Conte has already proven he is capable of winning, and turning bad situations good. He has done so with limited budgets. That counts for a lot in the overall equation - club already knows he has it in him. For them to be convinced we are better off sacking him and replacing him with someone else, the situation will have to turn pretty bad (e.g., Mourinho Mk 2). For comparison, Conte has more PL points this season after game week 9, than Mourinho had when he got the boot two years ago in game week 16 ...!

Currently, he is quite a lot off a situation where the club will have no choice but to sack him. He is top 4 in the PL and if we win the next two games, we have closed the gap to second place. I don't doubt for a second the club will sack him when he reaches that point of no return, but I am arguing we are veeeery far away from a situation like that. 

I certainly agree that Chelsea has done really well in getting rid of disappointing managers rather than keeping them on.  A lot of clubs could learn from that - indeed many of Ancellotti's subsequent clubs did learn.  I can't think of a single sacking I disagreed with.

And yes we are dong well know.  For those like me who have predicted a car crash right from the start of the season, there is no real evidence we are right (not yet), and indeed I would not expect it this early.  More of a long uncontrolled skid right now where no one, not even Conte is in charge, and we wait to see how unfit the squad actually is.

Do the club sack Conte this season?  Since any blame should fall on the decision to start with so few players, any punishment depends on how the decision managers choose to allocate that blame.  I am not sure who the decision makers at that level are, or who they will choose to blame.  Certainly Conte's choice was to quit in August, or take his pay rise and not complain at all - he has done the second thing so far.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jones   
19 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I certainly agree that Chelsea has done really well in getting rid of disappointing managers rather than keeping them on.  A lot of clubs could learn from that - indeed many of Ancellotti's subsequent clubs did learn.  I can't think of a single sacking I disagreed with.

And yes we are dong well know.  For those like me who have predicted a car crash right from the start of the season, there is no real evidence we are right (not yet), and indeed I would not expect it this early.  More of a long uncontrolled skid right now where no one, not even Conte is in charge, and we wait to see how unfit the squad actually is.

Do the club sack Conte this season?  Since any blame should fall on the decision to start with so few players, any punishment depends on how the decision managers choose to allocate that blame.  I am not sure who the decision makers at that level are, or who they will choose to blame.  Certainly Conte's choice was to quit in August, or take his pay rise and not complain at all - he has done the second thing so far.  

 

Yep.

I think it is pretty clear that City are miles ahead everyone else at the moment, both in terms of quality and depth. And the club would be foolish to expect Conte to both go for the CL and compete with hihg-flying and -spending City, whose main ambition is to win the league. 

The next three teams are United, Spurs and us. United have the best squad, I'd argue we have the best first XI, and Spurs probably have the best team. Who takes 2nd, 3rd and 4th is anyone's guess, but I am confident it will be the three of us. Arsenal are nowhere near and have way deeper and fundamental problems than us. Liverpool are missing an entire defence. They won't bother us. 

Assuming lightning does not strike, Conte is likely to meet the club's minimum requirement in the league. A lot will depend on our performances in the CL. The difference between a quarter-final and a semi-final I think is quite big. Quarter-final is a slight disappointment. Semi-final is the benchmark for a successful CL season imo. Get to the semis and there is no way the club will give him the boot at the end of the season. Exit the competition in the quarter-finals, and they will surely look around and see what other options are there. If they find someone they believe will be a lot better, they will replace him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jones said:

Conte:

  • Season 1: PL champions, FA Cup finalists (way above target)
  • Season 2: Currently top 4 PL, top of a very tough CL group (probably around this season's target)
  • Net spend over three transfer window: 28mp (United has spent 10x and City 11x than Conte in the same period)

Shell-shocked, really? 

1. You seem to think that there's a logical decision-making process at the club. Not sure why.

2. A top four is not an acceptable position with the money we spent (gross). So many new players should have meant we should aim higher than 4th. Gross spend this summer was almost £200m. Last season I was £120m. People act like Conte has not been given any money or chance to re-build the squad. He has spend £320m over two summers for crying out loud! That he has sold off any usable player in the process is a different matter. 

3. No idea where you get those net spend numbers from but they are not correct. Net spend last season was £50m and this season the net spend is so far £80m with the £50m (rumoured to be £42m without add-ons) sale of Costa to go through in January. At this rate we will have to spend another £100m this January to be able to field a match-day squad. 

17 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Not a reflection on Conte. Have you seen how our board deals with managers in the last 12 years?

It's not a reflection on Conte although I'd like to know his role in shipping out every usable player we've had in this squad. 

 

16 hours ago, jones said:

Every sacking were related to continuous poor form, a mismatch of results and ambition.

No, no it wasn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2017 at 6:27 PM, RobertoftheGiz said:

I guess Bats should be on a high fronm Saturday, let's hope he carries that energy into tonights game and grab a brace

Kiss of death..............:).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now