Harvz

Official: Chelsea Sign Michy Batshuayi

111 posts in this topic

Vincent Jansen went for £425,000 12 months ago. Tottenham about to pay £17m.

Proves the point quite well I think.

Quite excited by this signing, eager to see what he can do for us.

2 hours ago, Hazardous said:

Vincent Jansen went for £425,000 12 months ago. Tottenham about to pay £17m.

Proves the point quite well I think.

Which is the point I'm really trying to make. Droy claims English teams are better because they buy the best from other leagues.

That's fine. But the price is at least multiplied by two by the time the English buy and in some cases we are looking at a factor of 5 or even 10. The quality here isn't higher. We are just not very good with handling money and getting value for it. The pool of top players that really make a difference is so small and only a very small number of those players come to England. We pay 'best in the world'prices for above average European players. Some seem to think that makes English teams better or the players they buy reflect the price tag. It doesn't. 

Its completely illogical. 

10 hours ago, Hazardous said:

In a few years time I'd imagine well over half the top 20 richest clubs will be from the premier league.

There is so much money in the league that other than three club's in the rest of Europe nobody can compete with English teams. 

Well over half for about five years already. But there are six foreign clubs up there with us. RM, Barca, Juve, Bayern M, recently PSG, and now the Chinese owned Milan.  With only the two Manchester clubs getting near the bottom of that group.

In the top 20 of Forbes most valuable football clubs (2016-05-01) are eight from the prem. five from Serie A, three each from La Liga and the Bundesliga and one from Ligue 1. The prem ones are the usuals plues West Ham and Newcastle. There is quite a big leap fromt the top half and bottom half of the table, More than half of the top ten are from the prem. This is based on last years earnings, though.

Edited by Sciatika

Early indications are that the lad could do a job for us. The acid test however will be how he reacts to sitting on the bench five games at a time.

35 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Early indications are that the lad could do a job for us. The acid test however will be how he reacts to sitting on the bench five games at a time.

I think he'll play a fair bit (providing he's fit).  Diego is more than likely to get banned or injured at some point of the season.  

I'm quite encouraged that his assist was from a headed knock-down and that all three of his goals have been six yard box tap ins/rebounds.  I've long thought we need a forward who is a lot more aggressive in attacking the ball in the penalty area.  Maybe he is it

Dindt know much about him or had seen much of him, but early signs look promising and he showed pre season he is technically decnet and can link up play well. Can't remember who it was now, but one of the respected judges on here likened him to Kluivert and I can see that comparison. Probably more of a rough diamond Kluivert , but thought it was a good analogy.

2 hours ago, bert19 said:

I think he'll play a fair bit (providing he's fit).  Diego is more than likely to get banned or injured at some point of the season.  

That's why I said five games at a time. That's how long it will take for Costa's yellow cards to mount up.

Is he really that bad? It's baffling to see a young, fast, exciting striker get very little minutes. Is it now the case that he would be so rusty that a half arsed Costa is better?