Harvz

Official: Chelsea Sign Michy Batshuayi

47 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

Is he really that bad? It's baffling to see a young, fast, exciting striker get very little minutes. Is it now the case that he would be so rusty that a half arsed Costa is better?

I do find this one baffling. he has barely played and yet we only have one centre forward. 

£30m on a player to sit on the bench and waste 30 seconds at the end of games we are winning. Absurd. 

Even when we are losing he doesn't come on, and when Diego is unavailable, he plays the false 9. 

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I do find this one baffling. he has barely played and yet we only have one centre forward. 

£30m on a player to sit on the bench and waste 30 seconds at the end of games we are winning. Absurd. 

Even when we are losing he doesn't come on, and when Diego is unavailable, he plays the false 9. 

The crazy part is that RLC could have done his current role and the role Michy has done, saving £30M in the process. Surely it's worrying that our scouts/coaches/manager didn't sit down and do more homework, especially after the recent strikers we have gone through, and ended up splashing out big money where we could have got Shane Long for half the price.

What I find worrying is that Costa's place seems to be bullet proof. If he leaves our team it will take time to adjust to a different style of striker, because they've not experienced a different style in front of them and adjusted to it; it has just been same old same old. If he stays, then we might as well offer a 1 year deal to someome like Peter Crouch, no point in destroying a young lads career. I want Tammy and Dominic to stay as I think they have great ability, particularly Tammy, but they should run and not look back if Costa stays. 

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

The crazy part is that RLC could have done his current role and the role Michy has done, saving £30M in the process. Surely it's worrying that our scouts/coaches/manager didn't sit down and do more homework, especially after the recent strikers we have gone through, and ended up splashing out big money where we could have got Shane Long for half the price.

We could have kept Traore (who can play as a striker), for that matter, although him sitting on the bench all season would have been a waste (as it would have been with Abraham, of course). And if the position was just to warm the bench, then we could have kept Remy, or brought back Piazon. Again, no 30 mill wasted outlay with any of them.

7 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

What I find worrying is that Costa's place seems to be bullet proof. If he leaves our team it will take time to adjust to a different style of striker, because they've not experienced a different style in front of them and adjusted to it; it has just been same old same old. If he stays, then we might as well offer a 1 year deal to someome like Peter Crouch, no point in destroying a young lads career. I want Tammy and Dominic to stay as I think they have great ability, particularly Tammy, but they should run and not look back if Costa stays. 

I think the situation changed drastically once Conte moved from the original plan of 424. Michy seemed to feature a little bit early on, albeit from the bench given he had just arrived. However once we moved to 343 he dropped off the face of the earth. IIRC he was signed BEFORE Conte arrived. So there is a good chance he was never a player he wanted. The second theory is that Conte doesn't feel his overall style fits in with playing as a lone CF - mainly from a tactical aspect. He's certainly a completely different striker from Costa - plays more on the shoulder of the last defender, looks to get in behind, and doesn't contribute a lot in terms of build up or holding the ball up to aid with releasing defensive pressure. Not playing him because of this is what makes the most sense in my opinion. Costa's overall attributes are better suited - however that should only merit so much of a chance before being changed if failing to contribute himself.

Quite a few months ago Conte spoke about how Michy needs to improve and that's how he can work his way into the first team. Seems to suggest he doesn't feel Bats is at that level required. Seems to have been repeated last month.

"Conte said: 'The present is the most important thing; to work very hard in the present and live in the present. 

'At the end of the season we will look at the situation of every single player.

'Now, he's working very well for us. He must continue to work and anything can happen.

'If he shows me he deserves to play, I'm ready to put him in the starting 11. If that doesn't happen, I will continue in this way.'

Edited by zaffo
Spelling

3 hours ago, zaffo said:

He's certainly a completely different striker from Costa - plays more on the shoulder of the last defender, looks to get in behind,

Funny - that is something Costa has always done brilliantly.

Aren't we the club who paid some ~150k for a ManU tried and tested reject, only to bench him for injury or form.

Why are we surprised that once again we are short of players at the terminus of the season.

15 hours ago, earthshine said:

Aren't we the club who paid some ~150k for a ManU tried and tested reject, only to bench him for injury or form.

Why are we surprised that once again we are short of players at the terminus of the season.

Thing is, we aren't short of players, Michy has all the attributes and has impressed when played; it just seems as though Costa cannot he dropped unless both his legs came off. If someone with the experience of Michy can't be given a chance when Costa is playing like he is trying to win the WWE belt, and on top of that Conte mentioning how he likes to concentrate on the present, it doesn't look promising for us to have 2 top strikers who can share the workload.

12 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Thing is, we aren't short of players, 

We are. 

Even if Conte trusted Batshuyai, we have 5 players for the front 3, which is 1, possibly 2 short

We only have one left wing back and one right wing back (unless we use Pedro there and then that leaves only 4 players for our front 3) 

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

We are. 

Even if Conte trusted Batshuyai, we have 5 players for the front 3, which is 1, possibly 2 short

We only have one left wing back and one right wing back (unless we use Pedro there and then that leaves only 4 players for our front 3) 

We had players to fill the voids, but we loaned them out, or the players we have simply don't get a look in. In terms of numbers we are short, but in terms of the number of players Conte likes to use I think we are just right; he doesn't come across as someone who likes to change his team unless his first choice really really can't play. I think we have quality issues more than quantity issues.

Kenedy, Ake and Aina could be used as wingbacks in situations where the first team players aren't available, it would he far better than having to swap a few players around outside of their comfort zone like we had to do against Man U.

Personally I think Conte should have kept a large squad this season and made cut throat choices on who is good enough and who isn't, it would have also given him more options. We've gone for the short term fix again and hunted for the title, instead of taking a season to put a foundation in for the long term.

38 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

We had players to fill the voids, but we loaned them out, or the players we have simply don't get a look in. In terms of numbers we are short, but in terms of the number of players Conte likes to use I think we are just right; he doesn't come across as someone who likes to change his team unless his first choice really really can't play. I think we have quality issues more than quantity issues.

Kenedy, Ake and Aina could be used as wingbacks in situations where the first team players aren't available, it would he far better than having to swap a few players around outside of their comfort zone like we had to do against Man U.

Personally I think Conte should have kept a large squad this season and made cut throat choices on who is good enough and who isn't, it would have also given him more options. We've gone for the short term fix again and hunted for the title, instead of taking a season to put a foundation in for the long term.

I don't disagree with a lot of this. For whatever reason though Conte doesn't feel certain fringe players are up to it, so we have a small squad of players he trusts. 

I also don't think anyone seriously expected us to be competing for the title either. The fact we suddenly found ourselves top halfway through has meant in a funny he has had less freedom. Got to keep winning to stay on top. 

I also think Conte initially wanted a back 4, so for left back we had Alonso and Dave, for right back, Ivanovic and Dave, and then possibly Aina. Centre backs Luiz, JT, Zouma, Cahill. With this in mind, maybe Ake and Kenedy were deemed surplus to requirements and sent on loan.