Harvz

Official: Chelsea Sign Michy Batshuayi

71 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Kenedy, Ake and Aina could be used as wingbacks in situations where the first team players aren't available, it would he far better than having to swap a few players around outside of their comfort zone like we had to do against Man U.

Sorry - if Conte is reluctant to start a proven PL performer like Ake, then there is no way he'd use Aina or Kenedy - not unless the squad was as short of real options as it was last year.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

We had players to fill the voids, but we loaned them out, or the players we have simply don't get a look in. In terms of numbers we are short, but in terms of the number of players Conte likes to use I think we are just right; he doesn't come across as someone who likes to change his team unless his first choice really really can't play. I think we have quality issues more than quantity issues.

Kenedy, Ake and Aina could be used as wingbacks in situations where the first team players aren't available, it would he far better than having to swap a few players around outside of their comfort zone like we had to do against Man U.

Personally I think Conte should have kept a large squad this season and made cut throat choices on who is good enough and who isn't, it would have also given him more options. We've gone for the short term fix again and hunted for the title, instead of taking a season to put a foundation in for the long term.

He rotates his players when needed. Of course, this season is different because we're playing less games and he can literally play our strongest IX each week when everyone is fit. That won't be happening next season and you'll likely find more rotation had, particularly if we bring in more suitable players (something we also lack currently and why so little rotation is also had).

That's kinda contradicting because none of those players you've suggested as WB options are wingback themselves. Playing those players in a position they also aren't familiar with is no different to moving other pieces around. One is an AM/Winger who played a handful of games at LB and was often defensively exposed. Another has played CM, some LB/CB and briefly at WB against a LL team - hardly a glowing option either. While lastly one is a young FB who had a small taste of WB action and looked uncomfortable. 

I don't see how we've gone through a "short term fix". Conte identified certain players he wanted early on, some he got, some he didn't. Overall we probably didn't manage to bring in all the players ideally targeted during the summer. He moved on those who weren't going to feature regardless, so no point keeping them around when they were never going to a) play, and b) have a future here. Our squad size itself isn't that big of an issue currently because of the number of games we're playing. The issue is more that we don't have enough numbers when it comes to quality alternatives that fit. Which isn't a new problem for us and one that is going to take a couple of solid transfer windows to address. Hopefully the majority of this will be fixed with a big upcoming summer, providing the manager is backed like he should be. We hardly went out this season with the objective to "hunt the title" - getting back into Europe would have been the aim - which later changed as our performances picked up. The fact we're in such a position to win the title is ridiculous given last season and the quality of squad we have.

That said, won't look to derail the topic further.

Do hope Michy gets the start vs Tottenham and Southampton too. Deserves a crack given what Costa has served up lately.

Edited by zaffo
spelling.

22 hours ago, zaffo said:

Do hope Michy gets the start vs Tottenham

He did, and played well, too! Congrats to the lad!

and Southampton too.

I agree, but tbh, I'll be surprised if he starts against Southampton, just because I think that Conte will want to get a performance out of Costa (he's long over-due).

I find it hard to see why some people think Ake should be excused for his frailties because he is short of playing time and Batshuayi shouldn't.They were equally average IMO with both having limited playing time.The difference I think is the centre forward position (especially for us in recent years) is the loneliest position on the pitch when you don't have support.

10 hours ago, kev61 said:

I find it hard to see why some people think Ake should be excused for his frailties because he is short of playing time and Batshuayi shouldn't.They were equally average IMO with both having limited playing time.The difference I think is the centre forward position (especially for us in recent years) is the loneliest position on the pitch when you don't have support.

I thought they both had decent games yesterday. Nathan was more involved as we were on the back foot for much of the time, but Michy was doing his best to occupy Spurs' 3 central defenders on his own, and made more attempts to get in the box in his 60 minutes than Costa has since January.

2 people like this

Michy has all the attributes to be a very good player but he needs to play. Not sure Conte entirely rates him so will be interesting to see what we do in the summer. 

42 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

Michy has all the attributes to be a very good player but he needs to play. Not sure Conte entirely rates him so will be interesting to see what we do in the summer. 

The worrying thing is that Tammy is quite similar to Michy in style. If Conte doesn't think Michy is a good fit for our (current) style of play, what hope for Tammy?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/16/chelseas-michy-batshuayi-its-been-frustrating-but-I've-made-progress-as-a-man

I like his attitude. Hope he stays, and plays more. He spends more time in the box than Costa and one thing we've been lacking is someone in the box.

Yeah I really like him as well and hope he stays. He's good in the box and tends to sniff a goal. He's also pretty good at coming short and bringing others into play and should only get better at that.

What he needs to learn from Diego is how and when to make a run off the ball. Diego is one of the best in the world at doing that. 

I think that it's possible that we have a potential undiscovered gem in our squad with Michy Batshuayi. Barely got a sniff last season, even with the under-performing Costa, which was a shame - but he looked very good pretty much whenever he was given a shot, and he scored some nice goals, too. Like others, I really hope that Conte sticks with him this season.